A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,981
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HEEELP!!! My sad purse dilemma...  (Read 674 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fake_moustache

One day, everything I own will be made of yarn.

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2005 02:09:49 AM »

Ok I have a purse. Sort of. It's like a briefcase purse. It's super sweet, it's got like all your standard big purse space, PLUS this side that has an area made especially to put file folders and notebooks and stuff. And that's why I love it so much. It's great for taking to class and I can also carry around my sketchbook with me all the time without cramming it into a little thing or having it sticking out and ready to fall to the ground.

Now here's the problem. The purse is made of vinyl. Really gummy vinyl too. It's starting to come apart, in a way. The strap broke off, which is usually the first thing to go anyway. And I tried sewing it back on but the thread just cut through the vinyl. So I've stitched the strap back on with embroidery floss and that seems to be holding it together for the time being. But I'm so scared (and embarrassed that I give this much of a damn) that it's going to give really soon and be unrepairable and... I'll lose the handiest bag ever.

So does anyone have any tips or ideas for how I can repair it?

Also, if anyone knows of a way to make one with similar fantastic features, that would rule also.

Thanks for all help in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels." -Pearl S. Buck
rnaholowaa
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005 08:34:46 AM »

Well....since its vinyl you could reinforce the entire ripped area with clear duct tape and then put a grommet there (get from fabric store) ...be sure to place grommet hole in really strong area and make the hole for the grommet way smaller than the actual grommet...and then put a whole new handle on that is cool looking...like a chain or an old belt or tie....I think it will work...let me know!( I cannot believe that I used the word grommet that many times today....bye) Oh yeah...a grommet is a round reinforced ring that you can string stuff through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fake_moustache

One day, everything I own will be made of yarn.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005 12:16:55 AM »

Ooh good idea! I NEVER would have thought of that. Thank you!

What would you think I could use to reinforce the adhesive of the tape? like, something to put under it so it doesn't come up? or maybe sew it down...? Hmm...

Oh and I'm lucky enough to have the strap still entact. It merely proke away from the sides.

Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels." -Pearl S. Buck
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make New Orleans Gumbo
How to Barbecue Pork Spare Ribs Part 2
Back to School Lunch Ideas For Kids
Sneak Peek at Wild New Four Seasons Resort Restaurant
Mixed Kale and Collard Chicken Caesar Salad With Cornbread Croutons
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...