A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,079
Currently Running With Scissors:
818 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Fruits of my Recent Labour - cloth diapers  (Read 1265 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

degenecle
djrk

I wanna be a professional grandma

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2008 12:41:16 PM »

All thumbnails are clickable to see the full file.

First, a group shot of my first and second batches.

The white one on the far left is a commercial pre-fitted cloth diaper leftover from my Munchkin's babydays, included for comparison purposes.

Next, we have an all-in-one (ie, cover included) with side gussets to help prevent leaking. This was my first effort, and as it was experimental, it is made of clearance flannel, so I do not have any more of that colour. I do, however, have a bit more of the flowered cover left. As my mother put it, "Heh, he'll be fertilizing the flowers." Yes Mom. Yes he will.

Second effort. A patterned pre-fitted cloth diaper, with binding. The binding is really not worth it, for a functional diaper. It does nothing but cost more, take more time, but yes, looks prettier. I'm not going to do more like this for myself. Covers need the binding, but diapers don't. I have a second one similar, without the binding on the edges, but I don't like the way the serged edges look. So I found a better way (IMO).

Here's a shot of Cleo helping me today. Thanks, cat.

And here is the first of the three I made last night. I've got a much better idea of what I'm doing now, I've had time to tweak the pattern a bit. This one is made of plain diaper flannel (good quality too, in my opinion), with elasticized leg openings, and elasticized back gathering for a better fit. This is by far and away my favourite.

Going forward, any patterned diapers will be done with the white diaper flannel inside. It is of better quality for moisture retention, easier to keep clean, and costs roughly half what the patterned stuff does.

The patterned stuff is darn cute, though, and with the white interior, it would only cost slightly more than the plain ones.

I think I've decided on separate diapers and diaper covers for my own personal use, for a few reasons. First, easier to make them separately, and the function is the same. Second, you really only need maybe 6 or 7 covers total, so why make more than I need? Third, cover material is EXPENSIVE. Must be waterproof, breathable, and strong. I have not yet found my preference in covers. I'm weighing between flannel-backed vinyl, fleece, and wool knitted covers. Personal opinions online seems to sing the praises of wool knitted covers, but I don't want to spend that much extra time (and money, let's face it, I'm cheap). Probably still what I'll end up doing, though, as I really like the way they look and work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PoodlyBooty
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008 12:51:09 PM »

Those are awesome!!!!  I used to make diapers for my son, and I used all kinds of materials!  I used old flannel sheets from the thrift store, worked really well.

Wool covers, oh yea, the nice knitted ones are really nice, I never had any of those because I was/am cheap/frugal!  So, I made wool covers out of old used wool sweaters.  There are some online tutorials on how to make those and they worked fabulously.  You can make them with legs, or like shorts or however you want, then you "felt" them meaning you wash them and they shrink up, then you lanolize them.  Best covers ever!  Just thought I'd throw that out there to ya Smiley

Keep up the good work, the diapers look super!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeagleMommy
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008 04:48:04 AM »

They look great!  Smiley You really did a good job with the elastic. That's always my weak point. Do you have any tips for putting in elastic?
Isn't making diapers fun?
I thought it'd be hard to sew diapers, but after a few, it's great fun.
I also agree that wool is the best for diaper covers. I have some made from sweaters and my mom re-learned to knit for us. I know how expensive hand knit stuff usually is.
I do, have a couple of tips for less expensive hand knit wool. You could do a personal swap with a knitting mama here on Craftster. Lion Brand 100% wool from Walmart and Hancock Fabrics makes good covers. Lion Brand fisherman wool is even less expensive, but undyed. One cool thing about wool is you can dye it with food colors. And there is a particular ebay seller I have bought several covers from inexpensively. PM me if you want details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008 05:22:11 AM »

Okay, dangit...I just made 20 diapers from the Ottobre pattern, and 10 each inserts and pockets, for my sister's new baby. I've never used them, though....so I think I totally messed up and forgot covers!! I needed to make covers?? :wah: Should I just PM for that ebay cover seller, so I don't have to think about them, esp since I still have another 20+10+10 for the next size up??? :wah: :wah:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeagleMommy
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008 06:10:46 AM »

With wool, you won't need nearly as many covers as diapers. Wool doesn't need to be washed until it a. still smells like pee when it's totally dry,  b. starts to leak,  or c. gets poop on it.
In addition to making wool covers out of sweaters (a.k.a. sweaterpants or bumsweaters). You can make covers from wool blazers. Those are basically made from two blazer backs cut like you are making a diaper but slightly larger. Does that make sense? You know the routine, sew right sides together, add elastic, turn, add closures. And around here, they practically give away wool blazers. I got a bunch for 59 cents each about a month ago.
And if it's okay to say so, the ebay seller is kozydesigns. They have beautiful hand knit pull on covers. They aren't super heavy duty covers or overnight covers, but great daytime covers. And fancier than anything my mom can knit.
HTH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008 06:16:07 AM »

(Degenecle, sorry for hijacking your thread!:P )

Around here, there is NO WAY I'd ever get a wool blazer for 59 cents. Holy crap, that's cheap. Oh, and the poor kid lives in Hawaii....wouldn't wool be WAY to hot and yucky, esp with you all going into summer over there?? Though, I lined my dipes with fleece...that's going to be hot, too.

Need to think this over!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeagleMommy
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008 09:14:58 AM »

Sorry to continue the thread hijack!
Wool is the coolest choice for diaper covers because it breathes the best, but still resists leaks.
Would you rather wear a wool sweater in the summer or a plastic bag? It's sort of the same thing. Wool also will wick away sweat. My dd was having rash problems last year when it warmed up until we took her out of PUL pockets and switched to wool. No rashes since the switch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
degenecle
djrk

I wanna be a professional grandma

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008 10:14:12 AM »

They look great!  Smiley You really did a good job with the elastic. That's always my weak point. Do you have any tips for putting in elastic?

What I do, is after I attach the soaker pad, I sew in the elastic, stretched, with a zigzag stitch, about an 1/2inch to an inch in from the edge. I top the top layer of the diaper on, serge 3 of the four sides together, flip it inside out, put in the back elastic, and topstitch around the edges. Voila! The elastic is only sewn into once, and retains elasticity

To everyone else: Hijack away Smiley It's still on topic, as far as I'm concerned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Chibi Characters
How to Draw Manga Step by Step
How to Do the Graffiti Letter I
How to Do Love Graffiti
How to Draw Chibi Faces
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...