A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am going to an indian wedding.  (Read 675 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ebonyjade
« on: May 24, 2008 07:39:42 AM »

I know how to make a sari.. but i dont know ho to embellish it  with beads... or sequins and such:( and i cant find any tutorials. PLZ help!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To find what you seek in the road of life, <br />the best proverb of all is that which says:<br />\"Leave no stone unturned.\"
hesmywatermelon
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008 01:35:48 AM »

wow that sounds like fun!

Im afriad i cant help with tutorial, however im SURE ive seen someone on the clothing board who has made some salawars (probably not spelt right).

Anyway try and find it maybe?Also i think there may be a link to indian dress tutorials in the free tutorials or free pattern thread.

Maybe you could find something with a nice shape that isnt 'indian' and make it out of indian inspired fabric? with indian patterns or out of some really brightly coloures silk?

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
val_for_design
Shimmy to the left, and shake it to the right

I should be working...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008 05:56:10 PM »

Try searching for henna designs, and reproduce them on the sari with beads or sequins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I suffer from SABLE -- Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

Crochet uses a hook. Pirates have hooks, and they are cool. So crochet is cool because of the hook.

"I'm the Fibre King, Michael. I'm the Fibre King." - Horatio Caine, CSI
Ebonyjade
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008 10:14:56 AM »

o0o00 Good Ideas ppl thanks ^.^ Keep em comming
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To find what you seek in the road of life, <br />the best proverb of all is that which says:<br />\"Leave no stone unturned.\"
luxi_here
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008 07:42:58 AM »

There are readymade trims (indianised stone work like kundan etc) available in the market, though i am not sure if it is available in your country.

As earlier suggested by another craftster you can stitch not necessarily indian outfit but using indian fabrics like silk or fabrics with indianised motifs to get that look and feel

As for indian clothes you can even try Lehenga choli (which is similar to mermaid like skirt though not exactly) and ghaghra choli (modifying circle skirts - fuller length). Choli is the top to be worn with them or for the saree as well.

I guess you meant how to wear a sari, because there is nothing like making a saree as it is 5.5 yards of fabric available as such in the market unless ofcourse you are weaving one of your own.

Anycase i am glad that indian outfits are getting recognition globally. Good luck to you and hope you look at your best and have a nice time as that is more important at the wedding.
I know how to make a sari.. but i dont know ho to embellish it  with beads... or sequins and such:( and i cant find any tutorials. PLZ help!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cute Confessions of a Sew Addict
http://adithisammasews.com/
Cinderwench
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008 04:21:47 PM »

Okay, the Institute of Draped Clothing is still operating. The best page to look at is http://www.idcw.org.uk/weblibrary.html. (This is a great site for when you don't have time to sew!)

It has on-line instructions for draping a sari.

If you want to make the blouse that goes underneath (The Indian ladies where I used to work just wore nice t-shirts) Folkwear (http://www.folkwear.com/asian.html) has a pattern, #134, that also has instructions, plus they have other Indian inspired styles.

I remember seeing a pattern for the blouse (choli) somewhere else, but I couldn't find it just now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13 NIV
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008 09:04:40 PM »

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the directions for draping a Kandyan sari.  I wonder if that's known by another name elsewhere? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mr. Burns - 7th Drawing
How to Draw Krusty the Clown - 12th Drawing
How to Draw Bart Simpson - Full body - 38th Drawing
How to Draw Duffman - 21st Drawing
How to Draw Otto Mann - 29th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...