A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "8 stars of gold on a field of blue"...er tarp  (Read 18146 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

saranethx
« on: March 01, 2008 09:51:29 PM »

"...Alaska's flag. May it mean to you...."-Alaska State Song

First of all I must apologize for that the pictures are not the greatest. I had to make do with the camera on my cell phone.

I am from Kodiak Island in Alaska. It has a couple of nicknames (Alaska's emerald isle, the rock...) and is probably most famous for its Kodiak Brown Bears. It also  rains a whole lot.  It tends to rain more than snow and in the summer it rains for weeks on end. I have spent many nights/days weathered out of Kodiak in the Anchorage airport.

Because I currently don't live in Kodiak, I decided I wanted to make something that I could wear that shows my Kodiak/Alaskan Pride. Even though it would have been appropriate I wanted to make something more than a sweatshirt. I decided that using a blue tarp as material would be a good twist to the clothing idea. Many yards in Kodiak have blue tarps either covering fishing gear or machinery. And my family used to have a neighbor that could not stand the blue tarp that coved my mother's pile of garden dirt. He used to pull back the tarp so he didn't have to see it from his living room. Thus inspired, I decided on making a raincoat.

I used the Alden 9301a from Burda style because I wanted a raincoat suitable for San Francisco(currently where I live). I tried to incorporate as many Kodiak/Alaskan aspects to my rain coat as possible. I lined the coat with a green nylon to represent the emerald color of Kodiak in the summer. I also sewed on to the lining a felt appliqu of Kodiak. I don't have picture of that yet but I will. Well, enough blabbing here is the coat:

Me in the coat:

Front:

I made the buttons out of fimo clay. They have Alutiiq petroglyphs on them. The Alutiiq people are indigenous to Kodiak.

Back:

This picture was from before I finished. I switched the tarp button for a fimo one.

Detail of back:

I embroidered the Alaska state flag on the back (the big dipper and the north star). Interestingly enough the man who designed the state flag was from Kodiak.

appliqu and buttons (a little blurry sorry):

The lining:

Thanks for looking. Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008 04:12:05 PM by saranethx - Reason: add pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kcartwright856
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008 10:27:36 PM »

Cute AND innovative! One of these days I'll get up to visit Alaska.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BertaBerta
Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008 10:32:48 PM »

I'm an Alaska girl stranded in Washington, and I must say, this warms the cockles of my little displaced heart.

Awesome work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bold, One of a Kind Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns: bertaberta.etsy.com
lovelilisa
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008 10:44:05 PM »

Wow! This is great! You description makes me want to visit AK! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Something wonderful is happening...
http://littlediddobs.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008 11:08:13 PM »

this is so cute! i want one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bella_domanie
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008 11:26:34 PM »

It's a tarp!  I love it.  At first, I thought it'd be kind of weird and ugly lol but, I really like the way that it came out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rio_Supreme
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008 01:17:48 AM »

That looks good! I wasn't sure about using tarp but you made it work for you! And maybe its the just the camera but it looks a bit purpely as well as blue. Well done! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Try again, fail again, fail better." Samuel Beckett
myinsaneleenie

McCalls patterns confuse me... so i make my own!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008 05:30:56 AM »

tarp!
i never would have thought of that! Cheesy

i like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008 06:38:51 AM »

Brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
justforme
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008 07:41:32 AM »

What an absolutely clever idea. I am so loving it!!! Tarps come is many different colors that I may just have to borrow from your cleverness. Great Job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. -Indian saying.

True regret is not what you've done but what you have not done.
Lilyvanilli
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008 08:40:44 AM »

Great coat! I'm from Kenai! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AuntKim
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008 08:45:00 AM »

clever...cute...I'd wear this!  Just might have to find me a clean tarp...mine are all in use in MY backyard!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethanyjoyce
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008 09:48:45 AM »

This is really clever, I love that you made blue tarp wearable and even fashionable (I'm curious about what the buttons look like close up)  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bamabess
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008 11:47:41 AM »

I'm a displaced Alaskan, too (from Anchorage, now in Alabama--AACK!). Your jacket is awesome and it made me laugh, because whenever we used to go Christmas caroling in Anchorage, we'd sing the Alaska Flag Song at each house for our grand finale. Thanks for sharing your project and for rekindling a fond memory.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natalex
Tutorial Contributor

Gotta find something to do up here in Alaska

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008 11:50:26 AM »

If you were in Anchorage I would totally commission you to make me this jacket. This is the coolest thing ever. I've been on here all month trying to figure out a clever way to represent Alaska and you hit the nail on the head with Kodiak. Rain, tarps, Aluutiq culture, you couldn't have done better. And I, too have spent hours and hours in the Kodiak airport, lol.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008 11:53:07 AM by natalex » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my cooking and craft blog: www.knitnatak.blogspot.com
santacruzsugar
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008 03:41:01 PM »

I LOVE IT!

awsome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008 05:00:35 PM »

i loved this project
it represents your hometown in so many different ways
i think it's really the essence of the challenge
great, awesome job!!!

and a question, is tarp confortable to wear?
i think i need a rain coat, and that pattern is really pretty, and tarp would work great for a rain coat...
the only problem is that i have to find out what is that called in spanish so i can buy it here in Chile (where i live) Tongue

--> this rocks (click)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JLMS
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008 05:36:07 PM »

What a great idea. I wonder if you make crunchy sounds when you move in the tarp. Alaska is a beautiful state, so thanks for giving a small history lesson to the craftsters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SisterRaySaid
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008 07:39:36 PM »

I LOVE that you made it out of tarp.  LOVE.  You just might have given me some ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
insane_aktor
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008 08:18:48 PM »

wow!  that's beautiful. . .(for a tarp  Wink )  great job.  and it really does a good job!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish i was a glow worm
A glow worm's never glum
Cause how could you be grumpy
When the sun shines out your bum!

http://wists.com/insane_aktor
saranethx
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008 08:44:47 PM »

Thank you all for the compliments!  Cheesy This is my first craftster challenge.

camilaustral: I haven't had a chance to actually wear the coat out yet. The weather here has been too nice. The coat is comfortable and warm. My one concern is that the tarp material isn't exactly breathable material. Hopefully once I wear it out it won't cause me to sweat. You can find tarps in hardware stores. They are also known as polyethylene tarps.

JLMS: Yes, the coat makes crunchy noises when you move.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008 11:50:38 PM »

This is TOO PERFECT!  I am inspired by your coat.  The only blue tarp I have here in my yard in Anchorage, Alaska, is the one that is pretending to be the roof on our tool shed.  So typical!  Your project is truly wearable art.  I am humming the state song, can't get it out of my head.  Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MadameD
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008 08:39:36 AM »

I never learned the state song, but I grew up in mostly Valdez. 

The tarp idea is the awesome.  Blue and green, the occasional grey/silver-it's practically the official landscape of Alaska!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my shop: www.madamedebarge.etsy.com
expressmail

Addicted to knitting, but won't share used needles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008 10:35:35 AM »

HAH! ALASKA ROCKS! I'm proud to have lived in Skagway (Skaguay? We can't evil spell it) and Anchorage. You rock! I love the idea of a tarp raincoat, and in the Southeast it would be dead useful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't you hate it when people fill up their signature with random junk you could care less about reading but when you see how long it is you figure it has to be important so you keep reading but it's not worth your time and you just wasted a whole minute reading absolutely nothing at all? I do.
Gillian Austin

on the internet, nobody knows I'm a squirrel!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008 02:41:08 PM »

Hey there!

I quasi-lived in Alaska last summer (I was working on a cruiseship based there). I got to know Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway VERY well.

It's so gorgeous! And there is something great about the state flag - I bought a blue t-shirt with the golden dipper on it which I'm in love with.

I love your coat, especially that it's made out of a tarp! Genius! You put so much work into it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sibyll
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008 03:12:31 PM »

How clever! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008 03:12:51 AM »

Grin Grin

That's too awesome! I LOVE it! I'm from Alaska, too so I really "get" the tarp thing Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krtek
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008 05:24:17 AM »

Great idea! I like how it got some stiffness due to the material.
That is by sure one of the most stylish raincoats i have ever seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigercat
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008 07:28:51 PM »

Hey, I think I've met you!

Great coat, but I think you took my idea! That's not fair. Nevertheless, I forgive you.

You're not going to steal an even better idea I have, because I'm going to tell you what it is now. You know how expensive oil is getting? Honey, it's only going to get worse. Well, for those cold New England winters we have here - burr - I've come up with a little solution that will warm the heart of many a chilly person! I take a brick, put it on the woodstove for a little while, and when it gets hot, I take my stove mitten, grab the hot brick and wrap it in a bath towel! And when I go to bed I put it down at my feet. That's a hotta brick!

Don't you love it! And if it doesn't work out, there's always the chickens. Where's Lucky?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saranethx
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008 02:02:55 PM »

Tigercat:

The chickens gave you away. It has been awhile. How's the house addition coming?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brii-elzebub

Tissue papers yummy!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008 09:41:19 PM »

Oh boy I am glad to see my home state represented!  I'm from Anchorage, now located in dreary Colorado.  All the newbies to Colorado wonder how I can be dissapointed with it...but nothing compares to Alaska!  They call these mountains?  Pish posh.  They call this snow?  Whatever.  Colorado can suck it. 

I don't even think I could count the number of tarps we had back home...and the moment I saw your post title I got the Alaska Flag song stuck in my head.  I think its funny that we allknow it so well Cheesy

And I love your jacket!  Looks like it'll be nice and cozy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildfyre
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2008 01:18:29 PM »

great idea! I was born and raised in Alaska too.. just moved south a couple years ago. I know where I grew up most people never put siding on their houses - they used blue tarps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
BertaBerta
Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2008 06:01:02 PM »

Seriously, brii-elzebub!  I go through the same thing here in Washington.

WA people: "Oh, it's so beautiful and rugged and unspoiled here!"
Me:  "You are so wrong I might throw up on you."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bold, One of a Kind Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns: bertaberta.etsy.com
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008 11:13:31 AM »

I'm an Alaska girl stranded in Washington, and I must say, this warms the cockles of my little displaced heart.

me too! 

i'm impressed by all the work you put into it, specifically the bit on the buttons.  you took care to put meaning into even the smallest parts.  i like that.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
PaperBag
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008 10:51:34 PM »

Seriously, brii-elzebub!  I go through the same thing here in Washington.

WA people: "Oh, it's so beautiful and rugged and unspoiled here!"
Me:  "You are so wrong I might throw up on you."

haha Isn't it funny how people are such "Alaska-snobs"?? I am one too. My husband always calls me  on it. "Yes it is pretty, you Alaska-snob!" Then again, he just saw Alaska for the first time last year and now HE'S clearly an Alaska-snob too! It's awesome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008 09:17:44 AM »

i've turned into such a snob since i left.... "these mountains are crap, the food here sucks, and i miss the totem poles.  hmmph."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IchigoHeaven
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008 10:23:33 PM »

i adore this jacket alaska represent! WOOT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brii-elzebub

Tissue papers yummy!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008 11:46:30 AM »

i've turned into such a snob since i left.... "these mountains are crap, the food here sucks, and i miss the totem poles.  hmmph."

Oh god the food!  I miss eating fresh fish. Being land locked is just awful! 

You know what else I miss a lot?  Musk Ox.  Nothing like that down here, haha.  Everybody is always like "OMG, an ELK!  Lets pull over to the side of the road and stare at it for hours!"  That isn't cool wildlife.  Alaska has the cool wildlife.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2008 01:58:22 PM »

i know!  i recently considered ordering halibut in eastern washington but then reconsidered when a small portion was 22 bucks plus.  and i'll bet it wouldn't have held a candle to the good stuff in AK. 

ditto the wildlife.  always made my day to see the random eagle flying 'round town.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

expressmail

Addicted to knitting, but won't share used needles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2008 10:28:17 AM »

Oh god the food!  I miss eating fresh fish. Being land locked is just awful! 

You know what else I miss a lot?  Musk Ox.  Nothing like that down here, haha.  Everybody is always like "OMG, an ELK!  Lets pull over to the side of the road and stare at it for hours!"  That isn't cool wildlife.  Alaska has the cool wildlife.

OH YES THE LOWER 48 CANNOT DO SEA FOOD TO SAVE THEIR LIVES!!! o_O I got stationed outside with the military and I miss AK terribly.  I miss getting crab that was caught an hour prior just outside the restaurant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't you hate it when people fill up their signature with random junk you could care less about reading but when you see how long it is you figure it has to be important so you keep reading but it's not worth your time and you just wasted a whole minute reading absolutely nothing at all? I do.
Pipecleaner Zombie
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008 02:44:53 PM »

Ah, I used to live in kodiak too. I loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Bees
How to Draw Manga Animals
How to Draw Bart Simpson
New York Comic Con 2008
How to Do the Grafitti Letter P
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...