A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stop that dog from crawling under!  (Read 4876 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008 10:11:38 AM »

Give him someplace else safe that has the same qualities as under the bed:  a box, dog crate, something similar and re-train him to sleep there.  Preferably outside the bed room.  Reverse your thinking:  You don't have a bed problem, you have a training problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Minna
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008 05:00:18 PM »

Give him someplace else safe that has the same qualities as under the bed:  a box, dog crate, something similar and re-train him to sleep there.  Preferably outside the bed room.  Reverse your thinking:  You don't have a bed problem, you have a training problem.

Not really, no. First of all, I don't have a bedroom. And he has other places to go, lots of places he sleep in when it's day and I'm up. But as soon as I go to bed, he goes under bed. Couldn't possibly train him to sleep somewhere else (believe me, my dog is well-trained) for I couldn't stop him from crawling under, once I'm asleep. So no, that wasn't a very good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calluna
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008 07:50:10 PM »

Plus, there really is a bed problem -- you don't want it falling to the floor when you're on top of it, regardless of the dog. Sorry I haven't thought up a crafty solution yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
jagged
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008 09:09:44 PM »

Can you buy plastic lattice there?

http://www.bucks4yourstuff.com/images/latticeRS.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=94462-81826-SLW-48&lpage=none

You could wire it together in a square, and still be able to get to your stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Minna
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008 01:17:29 PM »

Plus, there really is a bed problem -- you don't want it falling to the floor when you're on top of it, regardless of the dog. Sorry I haven't thought up a crafty solution yet.

Exactly. And, I already have woken up once because it caved in on one side... Not very nice at all...

Can you buy plastic lattice there?

http://www.bucks4yourstuff.com/images/latticeRS.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=94462-81826-SLW-48&lpage=none

You could wire it together in a square, and still be able to get to your stuff.

Good idea, how would I attach that? (not sure if they sell it here, I'll look around)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mutantstar
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008 05:50:12 AM »

Probably not what you want to hear, but I sorta agree with Marmish, there is obviously something that he likes about under the bed: being near you, being in a confined space, being somewhere dark, being somewhere cool...if you can replicate that elsewhere somehow he might become attracted to it.

The only thing I can think of that might resolve all those possibilities is a crate.  I know a lot of people don't like to crate their dogs but if there is a safety issue with him under the bed and it crashing down on him it will definitely be a safe option for him.  Most dogs do like small confined, dark areas to bed down because it makes them feel safer.

I've seen in different instances where you can cover the crate with something (wood or anything else fairly rigid)  and use it like a night stand as well, the dog is beside you still and has its confined little area and you tuck him in every night Cheesy  My dogs got so used to it, we'd say it was "bedtime" and they'd run and get in themselves Smiley

Good luck finding something that works Smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008 05:51:37 AM by mutantstar » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008 06:39:39 AM »

Some dogs just think the only place to be at night is near you - sort of a pack thing. Could you put something like a storage box under the corner sections? If the bed legs do cave in then the storage boxes will keep you up above the dog.
My dog destroyed everything I tried to stop her from sleeping underneath the bed (- she had to sleep in the bedroom for safety reasons -long story.)  I even tried nailing hardboard along the bottom which she destroyed in 1 afternoon! In the end I put plastic boxes underneath which I could store stuff in. They were about 1inch lower than the bed bas andhad little wheels and were easy to move for cleaning and left a nice big space for her so she did not push them out, or eat them. Pity I could not do anything about her snoring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008 07:21:25 AM »

My simple solution as your bed is broken anyway, just sleep on the mattress on the floor - no chance of a collapse and no way your dog can crawl underneath. This is what we had to do when our bed broke until we could afford a replacement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008 07:26:12 AM »

Can you find an old mattress or box spring that will fit under the bed? It will take up more space and also hold you up if you fall. Otherwise, I agree with the bed on the floor idea or just on this part http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/25844409 until you can replace the broken bed.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
bluecat
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008 02:56:13 AM »

Sprinkle cayenne pepper all under your bed? Buy it at any grocery store.

If it gets wet it could stain carpet (red), but hopefully under your bed is not a place that would be soaked for any reason.....

It stings their nose (no permanent damage, no real harm done) but keeps them away. Many people employ this technique in their flower beds and such.

You could also try white pepper which is of course white. But I dunno how well that works.

I wouldn't do this unless I had a nice alternative place for the doggy to crash, and it seems yours likes a roof over his head. What about CRATE, or a tented doggie bed?

I'm not a dog person nor a cook, but I imagine that you'd need to periodically wipe up the old pepper and sprinkle down some new. I can't imagine this not working. But I wonder how the bedroom would smell?

Still, I'd give it a try.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008 03:01:13 AM by bluecat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
From the Vogue Closet - Pretty in Pink
Vintage Bowles - The 1980s Auction at Drouot in Paris
Jeanius - Florence Kane Fashion Tips
5 Ways To Wear a Cape
How To Wear Skirts Over Pants
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...