A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
846 Guests and 46 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stop that dog from crawling under!  (Read 4830 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Minna
« on: March 01, 2008 03:58:07 PM »

Here's an odd - but desperate - question. I need some sharp minds to help me with this!

Problem is, I have a dog who LOVES to sleep under my bed. I have an old IKEA bed that I've had since I was a kid, and it's not in the best of shapes (just keeping it for 6 more months though).

And once it actually broke and I fell to the ground.

Now - I don't want my dog under there, because what if it caved in on him?!

BUT - I have no idea how to keep him out of there. I goes under and there's no stopping him. I've put boxes with books in and suitcases and what not under there, but he just pushed them out and crawls under again.

In desperate need of a dog-stopper. Anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gannon
Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person doing it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008 04:36:46 PM »

Concrete blocks?  You could wrap them in cloth so they look less industrial.  I doubt the best-skilled dog could push those out of its way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can read this, thank a teacher! 

Visit my blog :  http://clayplaycafe.blogspot.com
Minna
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008 05:35:34 AM »

I'm not so sure he wouldn't, but I have no idea where to get concrete blocks from anyway :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jagged
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008 11:53:27 AM »

My dumb idea is as follows.

Take an old queen size sheet.  Set your bed on top of it.  Take a second sheet, put it under the box spring.  Hand sew the two sheets together all the way around the bed.  I'd leave the boxes of books/suitcases under the bed so that in case the pushing on the sheets knocks the bed down, your dog won't get squished underneath.  If your bed has only four corner posts, you may be able to get away with one sheet, cut a diagonal slash down the corners, and tying it to the bedposts.  The middle may have to be "laced" so it doesn't pull down. 

You may be able to find sheets at Goodwill.  Or if you are on Freecycle (freecycle.org) you may post a message for some free sheets. 

My other bad idea was placing two old tires under the bed, one at the head the other at the foot, so that the bed won't land on your dog. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Minna
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008 02:33:26 PM »

Should mention that I live in Sweden so I don't really have access to the places you mention, but thanks anyway.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I like the idea though. I was thinking of nailing the openings shut with cut sheets, but the only thing I can think of are staples, to get it to stick, but how on earth do I get under there while I have shut it? (I mean, I need to store under there, and also clean etc.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calluna
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008 03:01:55 PM »

What I've always done is filled the space under the bed with storage containers (short ones, of course), and fill them with the things that you don't need every day/week (such as extra blankets). The benefits:
- if the bed does break, you won't fall far
- storage space that is hidden but easily accessible...you can store more craft supplies!  Wink
- no room for the dog to get in there (my dog loves to hide under beds too...it was her cave, from which she would set up her doomsday devices and command her troops Cheesy)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008 10:32:15 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
eggyolk
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008 09:55:34 PM »

My puppy would crawl under my bed all the time too! But he'd go under there to poop, and boxes, barriers wouldn't stop him either. I saw this at my local 99 cent store, taped it to the floor and so far (knock on wood) its working!)

http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Product-SellPage?OfferID=11687&SC=

I also put it on a ledge under my roof to keep the pigeons away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Minna
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008 07:35:14 AM »

Calluna - that is what I did! I have heavy boxes, filled with all my books, irons, water boiler and othe rkitchen supplies that I haven't used yet, but it doesn't really matter because no matter how heavy, they are easy to move sideways. My dog even moved my bed side table to get under there, no problem. When he's desperate, he is as strong as a polar bear.

eggyolk That's a good idea, I haven't seen them around here though and I have no idea where to get one. I'm just worried he won't understand, or even care, that he could get hurt on those and still crawl under when he gets frightened. How big/sharp are they?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eggyolk
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008 08:56:21 AM »

Each stub is about 1 inch tall, is flexible, and has a blunt end.  It gives pretty easily under finger pressure.  I saw mine in the gardening section and when I first put it down my dog pawed at it. He didnt like it touching between the pads of his paws so he sat there barking at it for a bit then gave up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Minna
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008 09:36:30 AM »

hmm, I'll see if I can find any. I doubt he wouldn't find a way to get past it, or at least - remove it. I'd have to nail it to the floor, which I couldn't do haha!

Reward to the person who can outsmart my much too foxy dog... (he even kind of looks like a fox)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Glittered Glass Ornaments
How to Make Coffee-Filter Wreaths with Lenore Welby
How to Make Poinsettia Place-Cards
How to Make a Ribbon Christmas Tree
How to Stretch a Canvas
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...