A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sterling silver plated vs Sterling Silver or regular metal??  (Read 485 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lethargic
« on: March 01, 2008 02:37:22 PM »

I just recently bought some sterling silver plated jump rings for a project and I'm not really clear as to what the difference is between that and regular sterling silver findings or just your regular jump rings. If someone could clear this up for me really quick that would be great. Smiley

Also, is sterling silver plated ok to use for jewelry I want to sell or will that put a damper on things? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop for aprons, bento/lunch bags, jewelry, and more! http://organizedconfetti.etsy.com
dolfynbead

my kid wants to go back to the beach! me too!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008 12:35:13 PM »

It depends on the rest of the item. If you use sterling parts, definitely use sterling jump rings. If you use plated items, of course use the plated jump rings.

I would avoid using just regular metal. They scream "cheap".

If you do not have any other metal in your jewelry item, then look at what you are using. Gemstone beads and Swarovski crystals, definitly sterling all the way!!! Cheaper glass beads you can probably get away with the plated rings. But I highly recommend sterling if you can! Sterling clasps look better, add value to the item, and last better. And you always want to use sterling rings with sterling clasps.

hope I helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008 11:45:20 AM »

The difference is that the silver plated rings have a coating of silver over a base metal (like copper or brass), whereas sterling silver will be solid silver all the way through. Therefore, sterling silver is way more expensive.

I use silver plated wire for most of my jewellery, mainly because I can't afford to buy sterling, and I've sold and traded a fair few pieces. Just be aware that it won't have the longevity of sterling - the plate will wear off with heavy use. By heavy use I mean "worn all day every day" - I did this with a finger ring I made just to test and it lasted about six months before the plate wore through in patches. So, bearing in mind that rings probably take the most wear of all cos they are rubbing against your skin constantly, it should last several years if it's not worn constantly and if it's well looked after - but it won't last a lifetime like one made in sterling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lethargic
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008 09:13:59 PM »

Thank you both of you. Your comments were a really big help. I bought a lot of jump rings to make bracelets and/or necklaces and they were sterling silver plated because I needed a lot of them to make my pieces and couldn't really afford that many in solid sterling silver. However I guess if I have a good response to the sterling silver plated ones then it would definitely be worth it to spend more on solid sterling silver.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop for aprons, bento/lunch bags, jewelry, and more! http://organizedconfetti.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Drum Set
How Drawings Express Feelings
How Colors Represent Emotion in Paintings
How to Express yourself with Colors When Painting
How Colors Represent Energy in Paintings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...