A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College for the crafter  (Read 1325 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2008 02:25:43 PM »

I am just wondering since it is nearing the time i should pick a college and i dont really want to move out of state, just wondering is there a college that offers computer graphics or something in that similar areas and on the side, studio or place to do knitting, and other fiber crafting? I was considering the Art Institute, but anyone else out there have any other colleges to suggest?

edit: going with purdue in fort wayne, or maybe a small chance with IU which i actually want to go to if they actually accept me, but even though they spelled my last name wrong again, fort wayne seems easier to "transition" in since they already gotten me started with the process. sry for the troubles, but thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009 02:10:43 PM by Kanhoro » THIS ROCKS   Logged

adriayna
Transitory Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 06:55:26 AM »

Purdue has two different arts programs.  They have fine arts graphic design program and then also a Computer Graphics Technology program.  Although I am a writing instructor/Ph.D. student in Rhetoric and Composition, I've worked a lot with both sets of studetns because I teach in the CGT learning community and also teach the upper division multimedia writing course.

If you come here, we also have two local places that have a host of great craft/art courses--the Morton center in west lafayette and the Art Museum in Lafayette.  I prefer the morton center and have taken a host of great art and craft classes there (bookbinding, pottery, watercolor arts, etc).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008 10:00:52 AM »

ok thanks for your imput.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyinthesky16
scurrvy dog

pirate wench

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009 11:51:55 AM »

Valparaiso has a good graphics program, but it's a small private lutheran college, if that's your thing.  I go there and im not lutheran, and they don't really beat religion over your head there. also, it's one of the top private colleges in the country, so you'll have a good chance of getting a job afterwords.  HOWEVER it is VERY EXPENSIVE! they're bleeding us dry here now. the only way i'm going is because my mother works there and i get tuition remission. (i am in no way rich...)
That's about the only college i know about, i think IU has a good program too though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like my coffee black just like my metal ~msi (actually mr. urine, i like mine with a bit of creme and sugar...)
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009 02:20:51 PM »

thanks for the comment. right as of now i applied to apparel design to both ball state and purdue. purdue havnt gotten message back and ball state i called today and they said that they are still waiting for me to send the transcript...which i already did last year, so i guess i have to send it this year again to include my senior stuff....wish they reminded me or at least saying something to dont forget to resend in the new year....vincinnes used to offer fiber arts, but i asked them and they said they dont offer it anymore..darn -.-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snazzlecraft

I jumped on the mustache train! CHOO CHOO!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009 06:22:19 AM »

Have you tried IU??  I live in South Bend and we have a campus here...(IUSB) and it has an awesome arts department.  They even have a group that gets together on Sundays and charges a teeny fee (to pay the nude model) and they use one of the drawing studios and spend a few hours together dwaing, sketching, painting, etc. and you don't have to be a student to participate!  If they have such a great art curriculum here then at the actual IU campus must be even better!  I have heard nothing but great things from the art community up here about IU.  Also, I think at this point any of the big state schools (IU, Ball State, Purdue) will have a great graphics or computer department.  Its the small schools that usually slack behind on that stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009 10:20:39 AM »

i did apply to the IU in bloomington for the fine arts and a few others, no answer back so far. but hopefully they will accept me soon..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiberartist219
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009 07:07:39 PM »

I graduated from IU in Bloomington with an art degree, and I would highly recommend it if you get accepted.

I have a BA in studio art, and I mostly studied textiles. I learned a lot, but let me warn you, any art program is going to be very time consuming and you must absolutely love doing it. They do have a program for graphic design and for computer art.

I know someone who is currently studying computer art at the Art Institutes. From what I understand the tuition might be more expensive there than at the state schools. I could be wrong though.

I absolutely loved my time at IU. I can't say that my degree is all that practical, but I'm sure if you study graphic design you'll have an easier time in the job market than I do. I had trouble with classes that involved computers because I find that if I miss one click I'm lost forever. I had a lot easier time with textiles, drawing, painting, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009 02:08:58 PM »

well fiberartist219, it is what i want to go, but seems like fort wayne already sent their house app and all that so i think i might go with that, since IU still hasnt replied back yet. anyone who went or somehow can help me with the purdue in fort wayne?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Merry Marble Snickerdoodles Recipe
How to Build a Layer Cake
Foolproof Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Cinnamon-Apple Cake Recipe
Lighter Carrot Cake Parfait Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...