A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sort of new sewing machine! Yes!  (Read 394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2008 12:01:40 PM »

Okay, here's le lowdown, Joe Brown: I'm adopting a Singer 247 from my mother, who doesn't sew very often and is happy with her New Home USA machine.
The poor Singer is muy dirty.  Before today, it hadn't seen sunlight in about fifteen years; I'm planning on getting it serviced sometime soon.  Should I clean it up before, or let the professionals do it so I don't screw anything up?  Is a Singer 247 a good machine for a beginning sewer?  The only things I've made with a sewing machine are a fused plastic tote and a reconned tee-shirt. 
If you have opinions/advice, I'd be happy to hear them.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008 12:01:55 PM by radiationbaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008 08:03:48 AM »

I don't know exact models & ages but if it's more than 15 years old it's likely a decent machine. Then again your mom has a new one, but it was free right? Smiley

Ideally, take that machine in as-is but watch them clean it so you learn how (or call ahead & tell them that's what you want to do). They should clean, oil, adjust the tension and test the various stitches as a basic tune-up. If you have the manual, read it before hand. Bring all the feet & have them identify them for you, take notes!

Most importantly, enjoy your new machine Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008 10:11:51 AM »

Thanks, I didn't know you could actually go in with the machine.  I kind of figured it would be more like a car tune-up:  drop it off, see nothing/hear nothing for a week, then pick it up without knowing what happened. Wink
I live in a college dorm.  Would it be a bad idea to try and squeeze it into my room?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008 07:13:43 PM »

Whether they allow spectators depends on the shop, as you would be a new customer I'd call first & ask Smiley Most of the repair people I've met are very willing to teach you the basics because it builds a good customer relationship.

Depends on the dorm room & your roommate(s). I am assuming this is a portable machine and not one in a cabinet. I didn't live too far from home and was still using my moms machine most of college. When I bought my own machine, I had an apartment, so I'm afraid I have no tips for stuffing it in a closet or otherwise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways to Motivate Yourself to Be Healthy
How to Be Completely and Totally Healthy: Tips from A.J. Jacobs
Ricki Lake Discusses Her Audiobook, Never Say Never
4 Strange Yet Effective Exercises by A.J. Jacobs
17 DAY DIET: How to Be Bikini-Ready For Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...