A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 109
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing Wish Swap Discussion - Round 33 Discussion Starts on Page 54  (Read 43975 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hokiekate
« Reply #280 on: March 16, 2008 12:02:37 PM »

Yeah, definitely be careful with that rotary cutter.  I use my ALL the time, yet I still managed to slip once and earned myself a trip to the ER and 8 stitches in my finger.  I call that project the $200 quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwiztidBlood
« Reply #281 on: March 16, 2008 12:39:47 PM »

Yeah, definitely be careful with that rotary cutter.  I use my ALL the time, yet I still managed to slip once and earned myself a trip to the ER and 8 stitches in my finger.  I call that project the $200 quilt.

Haha! oh my, not good!

My SO wont even let me use a exacto knife, he takes it from me and does things himself because hes afraid Ill hurt myself, Im suprised he going to let me use a rotary cutter!

I promise not to slice off cat paws as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

This Shall Be For Music

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2008 12:47:17 PM »

Rotary cutters are fun.  I love mine!!  Yes, definitely be careful...those babies are sharp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 16, 2008 12:52:35 PM »

I looked online for local yarn stores, but I will admit the results had me less than optimistic. I did a google search and when it plotted things on the map, I was so confused. Supposedly there is a yarn store about 30 mins away from me, but the thing is, it's in the middle of nowhere, in this little township named Swastika.. So needless to say I haven't been brave enough to venture out there in search of yarn.

You can be surprised. There's a quilt store in a tiny town near me. They do a lot of on-line business but have the store as well. It can be really cheap to rent space in a small town. It's a building the lady had built on her acreage, so unless you know where it is, you can't find it. Quilting groups come from miles around to go there, it's by appointment usually, although she will let you in if she's there when you turn up. I can do an online/ phone order and if I want to save on postage, she will give it to the next person who is coming to my town who will bring it to my quilters group on Tuesday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlosun_9
« Reply #284 on: March 16, 2008 12:56:51 PM »

I love my rotary cutters . . . we have quite a few here because dh keeps forgetting that he already bought me one (we are up to four).  It just keeps me from having to buy replacement blades  Wink

My nearest Jo Anne's is at least a half hour away and the fabric selection at our wal mart is horrible.  I do have to local quilting stores but don't like most of the fabric in them.  I will check them out first and then just wait to get to a Jo Anne's if they don't have what I want.  There is one about an hour away that a friend told me about but I would like to go when it is nice out (it will be a long walk from parking to the store with three small children) so it will be a month or so before I get to go.

My husabnd used to have sticker shock but now figures I don't have any sort of medical bills (i.e. cheaper then therapy) and I don't really buy books (love love love inter library loan) or movies or go to the movies.  So he doesn't complain.  I do cut down on the crafting time/money in the summer though when I am off work and go places with the kiddos . . . or I use the stash I accumulated!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TwiztidBlood
« Reply #285 on: March 16, 2008 02:03:30 PM »

How long does everyones rotary blades last?
I forgot to buy a set of replacement blades, but then I figured Im sure one blade would last a bit til I go back.

I really am envious of all of you americans and your targets and joanns! I have a great friend in the states and we always send each other big boxes of gifts every couple months and on holidays and she sends me such awsome target stuff!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 16, 2008 02:51:23 PM »

It varies a lot. I tend to run over pins with mine, which nicks them and makes them annoying to use as you have uncut threads every three inches or so. I also have a sharpener though which extends their life. A few months or a few quilts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hokiekate
« Reply #287 on: March 16, 2008 03:05:30 PM »

Yeah, mine last a good long while.  I don't tend to keep spare blades around.  I just buy them as I need them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mountaingrrl
« Reply #288 on: March 16, 2008 05:35:09 PM »

I sliced my finger open with my rotary...but no stitches! Last night I had a moment of stupidity...my sewing machine ate some thread into the top part and I'm shoving a screwdriver all around...until I remember it's still plugged in. I have to remember not to electrocute myself while sewing..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TwiztidBlood
« Reply #289 on: March 16, 2008 05:41:29 PM »

Ohhh rotary cutting is fun!!

I rotary cut out the fabric for megs needle book, so fast and easy!

No cuts either

completed so far today

- the transfer is ironed onto the fabric for emrboidery
-megs needle book fabric is ready to be ironed and then sewed
- nofurys knitting earrings are complete

I seem to have come down with an awful flu and feel awful, arg!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 109 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Healthy Hair: 5 Quick Tips From Ken Paves
Ken Paves’s Ponytail How-To: the Updated Braid
Halloween Hair Color Tip
How to Make Your Hair Grow Faster
HAI-SST Blow Dryer Review
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...