A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,601
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advice on how to make lolita dress  (Read 1006 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

life_of_infamy56
Janet! Dr.Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky!

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2008 04:36:59 PM »

I was browsing the Baby,The Stars Shine Bright website and I came across a dress that nearly gave me a heart attack when I saw it, it was that gorgeous.

http://www.babyssb.co.jp/shopping/onepiece/132302/132302-handsode.jpg

http://www.babyssb.co.jp/shopping/onepiece/132302/132302-eir.jpg

Sorry about the small pics, they don't have any bigger ones.
I absolutely must make myself a simplified version of this dress. My version wouldn't have the bows with the extra lace accents at the bottom of the skirt, and I'll probably only make one layer for the skirt instead of two. Other than that, I'd like it to be as similar as possible... I REALLY want to do this properly, so that's why I'm asking for your advice. Oh and keep in mind, the poofiness is created by a petticoat, the actual dress doesn't have anything attached to it to create the bell shaped skirt.
My questions are:
a) How would I go about making the bodice of the dress? Especially the bow-like part at the bust...
b) I bought white cotton for this, but it's stiffer and thicker than the fabric used in their dress. Would I still be able to use it and if I did, would it look as good? I was thinking to maybe run it through the wash with some fabric softener.. would it help?

I'd really really appreciate help on this, since I need this finished in about a week and a half. Thanks so much, you guys!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008 07:19:33 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The sky is blue and righteous in every direction. The sun is total and burning and just there in front. We're on top of the clouds and this is a beautiful day forever. -Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor
chibi muse
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008 06:57:39 PM »

It's cutting it pretty close to want this finished in a week and a half if you aren't experienced at drafting your own patterns, it would feel like a waste if you ended up rushing it and didn't like it in the end. I just don't think you'll be able to achieve the Baby quality with so little time unless you work all day all week, but good luck!

As far as the bodice goes, it's a simple princess seamed one with square neck and added puff sleeves, and then a slight v shape to the waist. The bow looks like it is sewn separately, attached in the center and the 'wings' sewn into the side seams.
The bodice could be adapted from a prom dress type pattern (one with thick shoulder straps or preferably sleeves) pretty easily, then just add puff sleeves.

Hope that helps! I would love to own that dress too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
life_of_infamy56

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008 07:40:08 PM »

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I know that it's definetly cutting it close, but I'm willing to work all march break if I have to. Baby is gorgeous, but $500 for a dress, my god.
The only concern I have left is whether the fabric I have will work for the dress or not. I'm really worried about putting in all this effort and deciding that I hate it.
Again, thanks for replying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The sky is blue and righteous in every direction. The sun is total and burning and just there in front. We're on top of the clouds and this is a beautiful day forever. -Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor
chibi muse
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008 09:37:40 AM »

I've personally paid $300 for a dress by AP, and $200 for one from Innocent World, and I wear them as often as I can. They are hard to afford though, sewing your own is great!

I think thicker fabric is always better than too thin, many baby dresses are a little stiffer than this one, mainly the skirt will just hang slightly more stiffly and less drapey, aside from that it should be fine!

Good luck, if you have any other sewing questions I can try to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008 02:00:59 PM »

All that trim & hemming is very time consuming, thus the big pricetag.

Kwik Sew has a square dance dress pattern, it's pretty darn close & *bonus* comes with a petticoat pattern in the same envelope. Smiley The adjustments to the neckline are fairly easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
life_of_infamy56

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008 05:51:44 PM »

Thanks for the help!
chibi muse, I'm so jealous! I wish I had the funds to buy genuine loli dresses, but for now, it's thrift shops and my sewing machine.
Penlowe, I'll be sure to try to hunt it down.
again, thanks, you guys!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chibi muse
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008 11:56:44 PM »

Thanks! I saved up for so long, I was lucky to find ones I loved for sale second hand on the EGL community.

Thrift stores and your sewing machine are wonderful resources, I am an addict of both. And the more experience you get sewing the more you can build a wardrobe of lolita clothing if you want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fried Rice
How to Cook Wild Rice
How to Cook Teriyaki Sauce
How to Cook Brown Rice
Chicken Satay- Chicken Satay Peanut - Chicken Satay Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...