A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,366
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leap Year Fiber Friday 2/29/08  (Read 6297 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jazzturtle
Every breath is Healing...

Life is better with jazz!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008 07:59:58 AM »

Jazzturtle, I love the wrapped yarn! I haven't had much luck with that technique yet. I need to figure out a way to keep the thread tensioned without tangling...letting it feed off the spool has just resulted in tangles for me.

Thanks!  It was a lot of fun.. and I like it way more than I thought I would!!  I can't wait to try it again!!  I used a cone of white cotton thread I usually use with my serger.  I didn't actually use any real tension.. like I will when I try the candy striping technique..   I just spun a single like I usually do, and let the thread just wrap around it, near the oriface.  There's some spots where the wrap jumps around.. and some where it "candy stripes"   I think the key is I had a nice heavy spool (cone) that didn't snag the thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop-  Lots of Handspun yarn and Fun Fiber Batts!
http://Jazzturtle.etsy.com

Ravelry Group:
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/jazzturtle-creates

Flickr photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jazzturtle/

My thoughts and processes..
http://jazzturtlecreations.blogspot.com
sundaybrunch
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008 08:26:57 AM »

I've been lurking on Fiber Friday for a long time, admiring everyone's beautiful yarns, and finally have the courage to post my own! I'm pretty new to spinning and I've made some bumpy singles before this, but these are my first plied and first full skeins. All spun on drop spindle.

The first: acid-dyed Romney wool. I hated the roving after I dyed it, but decided to spin it anyway for practice. I like the way it spun up after all, so I call it "serendipity". It's 100 g, I didn't measure it. It varies between DK and bulky weight.

The second: I had no idea that cotton was really really hard to spin, so I bought some pre-dyed at my LYS - it was a nightmare. I couldn't draft it at all. Finally I just split the roving (or whatever you call it - still unsure of the terminology) into thin strips and spun it without drafting at all. I then plied it with gold thread and added some red seed beads in (though you can't see them in the pic). I like the way it finally turned out but NO MORE COTTON. Unweighed and measured, varies from lace weight to super extra bulky! ugggh. "Embers"

The third and most recent: Kool Aid dyed Lincoln wool, 115 yards and 100 g. DK to worsted weight. This one is the most even I've spun yet. The colours came out way brighter than I was expecting!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

quietly lurking...
nefertari

Egyptomaniac ... that's me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008 08:42:15 AM »

Nice yarns, as usual, everybody!

Here are my first two on my new drop spindle (from shetland wool):

Just a few yards for practice. Didn't set the twist or anything.

First try at dying and plying. I don't really love the color ... I used 2 orange koolaid packets and one strawberry, and I expected this to be a little more orange. I don't think I would wear this color. Oh well. But I was pretty excited about the navajo plying, even though it really shortened the yarn! It took awhile to figure out how to blend the bumps in.

And here it is knit up. There's only about 25 yards, so I'm not sure what I can make with it! Suggestions are welcome.

Sorry for the crappy pictures ... I let my husband take the camera with him, so I'm using the webcam.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My flickr photos
Zoesmaman
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008 08:45:29 AM »

I just got my new Lendrum wheel this week, so Ihould have something decent to show off next friday! You guys have been such inspiration to me, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a wheel!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008 08:45:54 AM »

First try at dying and plying. I don't really love the color ... I used 2 orange koolaid packets and one strawberry, and I expected this to be a little more orange.

hee.  I love the color.  I'll have to give it a try.  I've been pretty much married to the green of two green apples and a lemonade, but one can only have so much green-yellow things.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassiemarie
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008 09:18:54 AM »

I LOVE everyone's yarns this week, although my favorites have to be the glitzy ones, I love how they look with the black and white roving!
Here's my contribution for the week!

The first is a bulky skien of merino wool that I plied with orange wool.  I keep wanting to stuff my face into it because it is so soft.  Smiley

The second is a boucle yarn that I plied with white thread and added little bumps and coils to.  It reminds me of cheetos!

This last one reminds me of Mardi Gras.  It is 100% merino as well.

I cant wait to see the rest of the yarns this week!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kayla_Wte

Time to put yer big-girl panties on!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008 09:48:44 AM »

I only have one this week, because quite frankly, it's 8 oz and nearly 900 yards LOL!

I'm going to turn it into a sweater eventually:

The stats: 
8 oz
~900 yards fingering weight
4 skiens
100% merino 2 ply
Ruby Sunset
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - Plied:
http://kaylaunicorn.blogspot.com

My Etsy:
http://plied.etsy.com

I sell and trade my handspun on Ravelry.  Username KaylaWte.  Add me!!!
Lufah
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008 10:05:30 AM »

Only one to show this week.  I'm calling it Lichens, it's what's for breakfast! 

It's two plies of different yarn I had started spinning and then got sick of, so I just plied them together to get them out of my life.  The olive is a corespun yarn, so the skein is pretty light for how much yarn is there - 80.5 yards; 3.25 ounces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.yarnzombie.net - http://twitter.com/Yarnzombie
Flickr fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarnzombie/
Photographyblog - http://www.craftbangboom.com/
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5363840
Will swap yarn/fiber/fabric for Polaroid/slide/120/weird film!  PM me
bperry042
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008 10:06:08 AM »

Yeah!! Fiber Friday.  This is my first fiber friday with wheel spun yarns.  There are a ton... tried to compile photos. 
I'm posting these in the order that they came of my wheel.  Oh... and all rovings are from Sheep Shed.  Some I dyed with Kool Aid.

I dyed this with Kool Aid in bright blue, lime green, and yellow.  Then plied it with natural colored roving.  It's a bit thick and thin and is probably a light bulky weight.
9.3 oz total.  Each skein is about 3oz.  30-40 yards each.

I dyed this with Kool Aid also.  In a rainbow of colors.  I wanted to get lots of yarn out of this, so I decided to do a second spool with purple, lime green, and natural colored stripes.  I plied the rainbow with the other stripe and got the huge skein.  I still had some rainbow left, so I plied it with natural colored.  I think I like the smaller one better... you can really see the rainbow of colors.
Larger Skein  4.2 oz.  72 yards.  Light bulky weight
Smaller Skein 1.6 oz.  36 yards.  Heavy worsted weight

This one was a surprise in my box from Sheep Shed.  (just love that company)  I spun this one up in thick and thin.  Then plied it with iridescent thread.  It's gorgeous... I'll be making something for my girls with this one.  Not sure what yet though.

4.1 oz.  92 yards.  Light Bulky to DK Weight

This is the green mill ends that Sheep Shed had available for a while.  I love this stuff.  It has a nice heather look to it.  I began to ply two strands together... when I noticed that I was spinning the wrong direction!!  I now have over 2oz of crazy spun yarn... not sure if I can do anything with it.

16 oz total.  Approx. 80 yards each skein....320 yards total (not counting crazy spun yarn)

Kool Aid dyed in sunset colors.  I think I'll call this one "Sunset"  This was my first Navajo Ply.

3 oz. 70 yards

This is super wash.  Green variations in yarn (seconds at sheep shed).  I've got over a pound of this stuff.  I just finished my first skein last night.  It's Navajo Plied.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008 10:11:29 AM »

I tried having these done last friday but the just didn't dry....... And the pictures aren't the best, I got one sick kid and one fussy baby. The fact that I'm even typing is a huge feat.....
2 moms in our playgroup are pregnant. The two said moms love to knit (as does most of the moms in our playgroup!) So they both get yarn from me!

This photo got a little washed out. It's mostly blue. Wool with some other fun stuff in in. 2 oz and about 116 yards,

Again, more wool. And some firestar thrown in. Because I love firestar. 8-) 2 oz and about 146 yards.
What's crazy is that mom number one just found out she's having a boy and mom number two is having a girl. No I didn't know when I started!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008 11:14:23 AM by laminathegreat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peter Warshall on How High-Definition Makes Museums Obsolete
Amazing Japanese Doodle Mosaic Art
Incredible Art Works Using Denim
Alec Monopoly Addicted To The Thrill of Graffiti Crimes
Alec Monopoly: The Graffiti Artist Behind the Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...