A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,927
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New favorite yarn - Malabrigo Merino  (Read 6309 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WildIrishRose

So then I says to Mabel, I says...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2005 09:53:29 AM »

Oooh...great purse.  That gives me some good ideas on how to use my malabrigo...if I ever get it.  I ordered it on Feb. 24--unbeknownest to me at the time, right after the knitters review article was published.  I totally understand that they're swamped with orders, so I'm being pretty patient.  Still, though...I really really want some new yarn to play with. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vpop
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2005 10:54:37 AM »

Ooh, thanks for the great suggestion, slick!  I think I may try making a felted bag too.  And now I have to ask you a bunch of questions: Did you use a pattern for the bag, or did you just wing it?  How big did your bag end up after felting, how many skeins did you use, and what size needles did you use?  (sorry for all the questions!)

Oh, and WildIrishRose- I placed my order a few days before yours and I just got it yesterday.  So you should be getting yours soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2005 01:15:49 PM »

Ooh, thanks for the great suggestion, slick! I think I may try making a felted bag too. And now I have to ask you a bunch of questions: Did you use a pattern for the bag, or did you just wing it? How big did your bag end up after felting, how many skeins did you use, and what size needles did you use? (sorry for all the questions!)

No problem...so
  • I used one skein of that bulky purple and gold, and one tiny bit of another skein of sunset (that's the pure yellow on the very top and handle)
  • I used a size 13 circular
  • It's about ten inches wide by 8 inches tall
  • I winged the pattern...details below

You can follow the Sophie pattern more or less (http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/sophie.htm) but when you get to the top of the bag (however tall you want it), follow a pattern similiar to the marsupial tote in the first snb.  Basically, figure out where you want your hole to be and how big, and just cast off however many stitches in the middle (to get the hole) on each side, and then on your next round cast back on to make the handles and knit a few more rows in the round and bind off.  I hope that makes sense...I think there are some variations on this (free patterns on the web), but once you do it, it makes more sense.  I'm happy to answer more questions if that doesn't add up for you! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrispykreme
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2005 07:26:53 PM »

has anyone else noticed that on the website (www.handpaintedyarn.com) that there are no skeins of worsted merino. i guess they can only post them once they make them, and it is a hand dyed process. but i always check anxiously to see if they have put any up so that i can order. they seem to have plenty of all the other yarns, but no worsted merino. what a bummer. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Joseph
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2005 06:10:29 AM »

The company just recently hit a bunch of trade shows followed by local holidays. Since they're still working with a small co-op for the dyeing, they're backed up because of all the new orders.

Since I'm a retailer, I've opened LOTS of MalAbrigo bags. The vinegar smell is VERY common with their yarn, but it is understandable. It normally goes away with a day or so airing out -- or if it's persistant use Euculan or Kookaburra like the other posters suggested. A very small amount of baking soda in cold water can also help, but be careful because in certain conditions baking soda can help get the felting process going where it otherwise wouldn't.

I've been working with them for awhile now, and they've gotten significantly better in regards to color consistency between lots. Obviously, you should still order enough for your project at a time and knit by alternating two skeins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WildIrishRose

So then I says to Mabel, I says...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2005 08:57:32 PM »

It came!! Arrived today in the mail...and it was love at first sight.  Well worth the wait.  Now, I just need to figure out the best way to use it...also need to invest in a ball-winder thingy, if I'm going to be ordering from hpy.com in the future...and I'm definately going to be ordering from them in the future. 
I just wish I had enough time to wind my skeins, and find a project for them before I head off on vacation tomorrow...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2005 09:28:21 AM »

Anyone know whats going on with these guys? I'm dieing for some of their worsted and I can't find them on ebay anymore!?! Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
blumunchie
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2005 10:43:47 PM »

Um... Where can I find the pattern for the arm warmers that's posted way back when? And what weight yarn is it made of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stepitote
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2005 02:09:19 PM »

After reading everyone's rave reviews about this yarn, I bought six skeins from yarn.com. Wow; it really is as soft as everyone says, and the colors are great and bright! (I bought burgundy, which is a little darker than the picture shown on yarn.com, and has some brownish streaks I'm not all that crazy about, but I still think it's really pretty.) It does smell kinda nasty right out of the box, but I'm not too worried since many of you said that was normal and the smell will fade as the yarn airs out.

I bought the yarn to use in my first sweater (and my first non-bag, non-scarf, non-washcloth--i.e., non-FLAT--project). The pattern (from the Yarn Girls Guide to Simple Knits book) called for the crazy expensive Manos del Uruguay, so I was excited to find something more economical that many people recommend as a good substitute.

Can't wait to get started on my sweater! (I really hope I'm ready for a project where proper gauge and sizing and what-not actually matter!)  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They say goldfish have no memory; I guess their lives are much like mine, and the little plastic castle is a surprise every time.
Kimbabwe
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2005 06:00:25 AM »

blumunchie,

the arm warmers are pretty much the Voodoo wristwarmers on Knitty (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/PATTvoodoo.html) with the thumb portion taken from the Fluffy Cuff mittens in the first Stitch'nBitch book (using waste yarn), and just casting off partway up the thumb instead of doing the decrease and closing it off at the top.

Very quick and simple to make! Done completely on dpns.

Kim
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Naomi Watts Makeup Tutorial
Learn These Tricks to Creating a More Grown-Up Wardrobe
Iconic Beauty Brands
Red Carpet Up Do How To Video
The Zoe Report: 15 Beauty Must-Haves For A Sunny Escape
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...