A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New favorite yarn - Malabrigo Merino  (Read 6216 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WildIrishRose

So then I says to Mabel, I says...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2005 02:43:55 PM »

Crap. Guess I shouldn't put off ordering any more.  I'm going to do a little shopping when I get home from work tonight...my home computer has a much clearer and more accurate monitor than this work one does [plus, I should actually be doing WORK whilst at work, though that's no fun.]
Can any of you guys who've already ordered and received orders comment on how much of a difference there is between how the colors look online v. how they are in real life? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vpop
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2005 09:07:54 PM »

Can any of you guys who've already ordered and received orders comment on how much of a difference there is between how the colors look online v. how they are in real life? 

When I first saw the yarn in its skein, I thought that it was darker and redder than the picture on the site, but when it was knitted up I could really see the different tones better and it looked more like the website's picture.  So at least for me, my yarn was pretty accurate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
8ball
Visit my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2005 07:20:01 AM »

Most of my colors were much darker than on the screen except Apple Green, which was just about right.  I ordered a pink color (rosapia) and it was lavendar.  I ordered a darker pink (molly) and it is salmon.  That's not just a tone difference, it's a hue difference!

Carie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8ball
Visit my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2005 07:24:39 AM »

Another comment - get a manicure b/f you work with Malabrigo merino.  It kept snagging on any rough nails or cuticles.  Cheesy

Carie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WildIrishRose

So then I says to Mabel, I says...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2005 10:25:44 AM »

I just ordered 5 skeins!! Can hardly wait until it arrives...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2005 12:40:59 PM »

Two new projects in the lovely handpainted yarn:

bpt from knitty in pagoda (I'm not one to mind color variations--I like them actually!):

and a herringbone scarf in oro y vino:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cariadai

I'm a hip knitter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2005 06:34:49 AM »

There's a great free scarf pattern in the latest Magknits, using Mal Abrigo bulky yarn. You can see it here:

http://www.magknits.com/warm05/patterns/rib.htm

--
Trudie
www.hipknits.co.uk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimbabwe
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2005 10:23:29 AM »

Slick,

your scarf and hoodie are... so... SLICK! Awesome work. Both look so nice, and both really highlight the yarn, too.

And thanks Troodle for the heads-up on the MagKnits scarf. I didn't even realize that there was a new MagKnits up! What a pleasant surprise! I love the t-shirt pattern...

Kim
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vpop
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2005 12:07:38 AM »

I just received my second order of yarn and I'm happy happy happy!   I got the merino worsted in Natural and Cactus Flower, and the bulky in Dusty and Stone Sky.  As far as the colors, I ordered 2 skeins of the Cactus Flower and one skein is significantly brighter and more solidly colored with no variegation than the other skein.  No biggie though.  The Dusty color, however, is a completely different hue than was pictured on the site- the site shows it as a mauve-rose, and what I got was a warm pink color with hints of pale terracotta.  Again, no biggie... in fact, I like this color much much better than the picture!

Also, just a note: I got the "handspun bulky" (not the "merino bulky") and isn't as soft as the merino.  I should have expected that, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed since my hands have gotten spoiled by the buttery softness of the merino.

Oh yeah, none of them have a vinegar smell.  I guess my last order was just a fluke!  Smiley

So now what's left is for me to come up wth some projects for all this yarn!  I always prided myself on not "stashing", especially stashing without a specific project planned... but I went nuts with this yarn and just bought a whole bunch without anything in mind!  Maybe the herringbone "so called scarf" like Slick's (which looks awesome, btw!) or the MagKnits pattern (thanks for posting it, troodie!)...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005 01:12:18 AM by vpop » THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2005 09:07:29 AM »

Also, just a note: I got the "handspun bulky" (not the "merino bulky") and isn't as soft as the merino. I should have expected that, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed since my hands have gotten spoiled by the buttery softness of the merino.

Oh yeah, none of them have a vinegar smell. I guess my last order was just a fluke! Smiley

Hey vpop,
Glad you're happy with your yarns, but I know what you mean about the handspun bulky.  Because it's not soft like the merino, I can't wear it. BUT...might I suggest felting with it?  It knits up so fast and the colors felt beautifully.  Here's a clutch I did with purple gold.  It created its own cool pattern again:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Photos Indoors
How to Take Posed Pictures
How to Choose the Right Lens for Your Camera
How to Edit a Digital Photograph
How to Make a Living as a Photographer
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...