A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New favorite yarn - Malabrigo Merino  (Read 6069 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vpop
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2005 01:10:10 PM »

After reading all your glowing reviews about Malabrigo, I ordered a couple of skeins of "Sealing Wax"- I got it today and it is so SOFT!  Plus, you really can't beat the price.  I'd been putting off a few projects that call for Manos del Uruguay because it's a bit too pricey for me, but this'll be an awesome substitute!  Almost twice the yardage for almost half the price!  Hooray!

Kimbabwe, I like the look of your armwarmers- what was the pattern you used for them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2005 01:22:27 PM »

I LOVE how soft their yarn is...usuallly, I can't wear wool right next to my skin, but I can with their merino.  Here's a scarf I made out of the carrot!  I really love the uneven color and it's so soft...I made it all out of one skein, which made it cheap too!  I can't say enough good things about their yarn!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
vpop
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2005 02:06:02 PM »

Um, I just noticed that the yarn I got kinda smells vinegar-y.  Did anyone else run into this too?  I'm just going to air it out and I'm sure it'll go away quickly...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
8ball
Visit my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2005 02:35:47 PM »

That scarf is amazing Slick!  I can't believe it only took one skein!  I haven't worked with mine yet b/c I am determined to finish my current sweater first.  Should have it done tonight, hopefully.  Then, watch out!

BTW, I posted a pic of my Malabrigo yarn on my blog.  I got Green Apple, Molly (the salmon-y color, which I thought was pink) and Rosapia (the lavendar, which was supposed to be light pink but isn't).

For those of you willing to try this stuff out, I'd suggest first seeing if any of your LYSs carry it and have a color card. 

Carie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimbabwe
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2005 05:50:57 AM »

Slick - your scarf is beautiful! I love it...

And Vpop, I haven't run into the vinegary smell on this yarn, but that could be because I've been buying it from my LYS and it has been sitting on the shelf for a bit. Where did you order yours from? And the pattern for the armwarmers was a hybrid of the pattern for the Voodoo wristwarmers on Knitty.com and the Fluffy Cuff mittens from the first SnB... it's basically the voodoo with an added thumb, done with waste yarn like fluffy cuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
8ball
Visit my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2005 07:46:28 AM »

I think the vinegary smell is from the dying process.  I ordered some uncolored wool and am going to experiment with dying it (I haven't done that yet).  From what I read on the 'net about how to dye wool, adding vinegar to the dye water helps the yarn hold the color so it doesn't wash out.

Carie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vpop
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2005 07:03:01 PM »

And Vpop, I haven't run into the vinegary smell on this yarn, but that could be because I've been buying it from my LYS and it has been sitting on the shelf for a bit. Where did you order yours from?

I got it directly from them, on their handpaintedyarn.com website.  8ball, good point, the smell was probably because of the dyeing process.  It's has mostly faded, I think one more night of airing out ought to get rid of the last of it.  BTW, someone who bought yarn from them on ebay ran into the same funny-smell issue (according to the feedback), so it just might be a problem that happens with their yarns every once in awhile.

PS- Kimbabwe, thanks for letting me know your armwarmer "pattern"... I think I'll try it out with this yarn! Smiley
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005 12:16:45 AM by vpop » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2005 05:14:11 PM »

Oh good lord, I swung by my LYS on the way home from work tonight (because it's right on the way), and they just started carrying the Malabrigo super bulky (http://handpaintedyarn.com/index.php?cPath=38&osCsid=2e7ac9b9a516c04ddf5c7d948ac53a13) (in addition to the regular merino, which they carried before)! Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! I couldn't put the stuff down, but I was SO good and didn't buy any because I have to finish up some projects that I'm working on before I'm allowed to buy more yarn. But now I'm on a mission to find the perfect project to use the super bulky for! Let me know if anyone has any ideas!~

Kim
THIS ROCKS   Logged
8ball
Visit my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2005 09:22:23 AM »

Here is a pattern for a bolero that uses pretty heavy yarn:

http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/trio_bolero.html

It's wierd, because I bought Crystal Palace Trio and it did not seem that heavy, certainly not heavy enough to give me the gauge in the pattern.  I'm making it with Joann Licorice (in red) instead.

HTH

Carie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimbabwe
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2005 12:25:34 PM »

Thanks, Carie - I love that pattern! It rocks! I think you're right, it might really highlight the super bulky Malabrigo. I now need to make a bolero!

btw, I love Joann's licorice yarn, too! I made a 'one-hour hat' (there's a post on this hat somewhere on the Knitting > Finished Projects board) out of it, held together with Wool-Ease Thick'n Quick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Sports Cards Should I Collect
Maintaining, Protecting and Displaying Your Sports Card Collection
Selling a Vintage Sports Card Collection
Determining the Value of a Vintage Sports Card Collection
How to Play a Math Building Card Game
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...