A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,342
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New favorite yarn - Malabrigo Merino  (Read 6577 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kimbabwe
« on: January 19, 2005 10:36:52 AM »

I picked up a hank of Malabrigo Merino wool at my LYS a month or so ago and fell in love with it!

I have since gone back and bought more, and have now made a scarf and a pair of armwarmers with this stuff. It is the softest, most luxurious wool I've ever felt! And the colors are gorgeous...

Just had to share my little find. I love to knit with it.

Check out their array of beautiful yarns: http://www.malabrigoyarn.com.

I just emailed them to ask for a list of retailers in the U.S., or of websites that carry and ship their yarn to retail consumers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005 07:57:34 AM by Kimbabwe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WildIrishRose

So then I says to Mabel, I says...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005 01:07:22 PM »

Gorgeous stuff...and so soft too, from what I gather...I've found it hard to get brillantly colored wool yarns that are also not itchyscratchy.  Not that I needed to spend more money, but I'm totally tempted to buy some, as it actually seems a good value for the yardage. Any pics of stuff you've made with it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005 08:03:38 AM »

Rose,

I made a scarf from a lovely hank of "lime-blue":

and some armwarmers out of the color "Sealing Wax."

I'll post photos of the actual projects when I get home -- they're on my home computer!

Kim

THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005 08:17:45 AM »

Hey y'all,
This same company (I think--that name is on the paypal account) runs handpaintedyarn.com where you can buy the hand dyed merino directly online.  It's gorgeous and so soft.  And so cheap!  Check it out...(really, they're not paying me! I just can't believe how beautiful their yarn is--it's like manos del uruguay, but for 1/2 the price, and the merino is even softer!)  The only drawback is that it takes a while to ship (mine took about 2 weeks--read their shipping policy), but just plan ahead, I say!  I have yet to make stuff with it, but I have many, many plans!  Wink
http://handpaintedyarn.com/index.php
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005 08:35:04 AM by slick » THIS ROCKS   Logged
flossie
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005 08:29:27 AM »

Yowza! I definetely need to bookmark this site!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005 09:35:28 AM »

Slick, I think you're right! The site doesn't say Malabrigo anywhere on it (that I could find, but I looked pretty thoroughly), but it definitely looks like the same stuff, and the color names are the same.

Ohhhh, this is dangerous! I want it all! I have already used up my yarn budget for this quarter!

Must. Refrain...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WildIrishRose

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005 11:36:14 AM »

Malabrigo or not, that handpainted stuff is gorgeous...I did find a website for the Malabrigo company last night...its more of a heres who we are and what we do site, you can buy from them directly only if youre interested in wholesale quantities.  This other site looks promising, though, for a similar [if not identical] product...my only beef is that its got prices and all, but I dont see where its got measurements and gauges for the various yarns.  $5.40 a skein is a great price, but whats the yardage?  Anybody order from handpaintedyarn.com before? Am I missing something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005 12:17:40 PM »

my only beef is that its got prices and all, but I dont see where its got measurements and gauges for the various yarns.  $5.40 a skein is a great price, but whats the yardage?  Anybody order from handpaintedyarn.com before? Am I missing something?

It is a little confusing, but the gauge/yardage is available on the main page that describes the type of yarn that it is.  For merino, for example, you can see at the top of the page (in the link below) that it's 218 yards, worsted weight gauge:

http://handpaintedyarn.com/index.php?cPath=36&osCsid=ec7d9574dca6847de009e2e1d8c18e6a
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WildIrishRose

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005 04:54:33 PM »

Oh. A great big ol' "DUH" to me then!
Thanks for the tip...though now...I really want to buy some...but hey, it's a bargain at that price!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005 05:17:00 AM »

Here are the two projects that I've done with this yarn so far:

Plain old boring garter scarf in 'lime-blue':

Armwarmers in 'sealing wax':

Both pieces are really soft and kind of airy -- I'd like to try a project holding 2 strands of it together, or try using the bulky...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Chicken & Beef Lo Mein
Shrimp Curry Recipe
Vegetarian Saag Aloo Recipe
Regional Chinese Food and Cooking
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...