A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: grey coat and two tiered skirts!  (Read 6388 times)
Tags for this thread: coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thriftrat

"we just want to live, if anyone would let us."

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2008 06:15:57 AM »

Hi all Grin I've been busy making more stuff. Here's a grey lightweight coat and two cotton tier skirts I made within two days of relative non-activity bumming around at home. The coat cost less than $5 altogether!!! Chinatown has the cheapest fabric ever I swear. I made the pattern up as I went, as usual. I should stop spontaneously cutting and sewing up the pieces, hoping that it'll come together nicely somehow. It's been working so far though... The grey plaid is some sort of flannel and cotton blend, and is so damn comfortable that I never ever ever want to take it off. This would, of course, be a bit of a problem come bath time, but I'll cross that hurdle when it presents itself. Aaaaanyway, here it is, in all its cat-haired glory:

It has a black jersey hood and cuffs attached to it.

Heart buttons!

Coat pocket and sleeve cuff

It is not too thick, and thus perfect for the weather in Singapore nowadays which is humid and rainy in equal parts. I'm gonna try making a lightweight trench coat next.

And, here are the tiered skirts! Fabrics for both are from Spotlight, the Daylight Robbery store. They have elastic waistbands and just two tiers, so that they fall nicely just above my knees. Both were made using the old-fashioned thread gathering method, which is very painstaking but effective, so.

Green and blue poppy(I think) skirt

Pink and black Indian print skirt

Lastly, just for kicks, here's what I wore today Smiley Please excuse the awkward pose:

With these shoes and bag:

What did you crafty types wear today, and were some items in the outfit made by you? (We should have a Craftster version of the whatiworetoday LJ community, if it doesn't exist already!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be sewing.
iloveoctopus
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008 06:23:10 AM »

i LOVE that coat, it's super cute!

oh yeah, what did i wear today? umm...unfortunately my work uniform. and a Elvis necklace i bought on etsy. and a SMILE hahaha i'm corny.

i wish i could just cut and sew things together and end up with such cute clothes like you do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gopoundsand
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008 06:31:25 AM »

adorable! i love the coat.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thehazelwood
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008 06:39:11 AM »

LOVE those skirts!
And the coat!
And your outfit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DaisyAlly
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008 07:03:32 AM »

Super cute!  Cheesy When you make a skirt like that, are your pieces that will be the tiers just rectangles or are they curved? I'd like to try it. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thriftrat

"we just want to live, if anyone would let us."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008 07:22:03 AM »

Super cute!  Cheesy When you make a skirt like that, are your pieces that will be the tiers just rectangles or are they curved? I'd like to try it. Thanks!

Thanks muchly Grin It's just rectangles. To be specific, the first tier was 40" wide, and the second 1.5 times that, so 60" wide. Both tiers are about 8" long, including seam allowance. My waist is 32" so it fits comfortably while not being too poofy, and ends just above the knees. So just add 8" to your waist measurement for the first tier and multiply that by 1.5 for the second. Hope this helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be sewing.
thehazelwood
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008 07:35:36 AM »

Thanks muchly Grin It's just rectangles. To be specific, the first tier was 40" wide, and the second 1.5 times that, so 60" wide. Both tiers are about 8" long, including seam allowance. My waist is 32" so it fits comfortably while not being too poofy, and ends just above the knees. So just add 8" to your waist measurement for the first tier and multiply that by 1.5 for the second. Hope this helps Smiley

How long of an elastic did you use for the waistband?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_naked_doll
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008 07:41:10 AM »

^_^ I love your tiered skirts.

And I would participate in a whatIwore the craftster way. That would be neat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm told my Native American name would be Giggles-With-Fervor.

http://megsraggededge.etsy.com

BLOG ! http://megsraggededge.blogspot.com
jagger

The restless shall go and the faithful shall stay

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008 07:47:10 AM »

Fantastic!  I love the way you did the Indian-print skirt:  reversing the second tier so that it's a mirror image of the first.  Good thinking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Maybe he won't fight."  "Will he bleed?  That's all we care about."

Is he willing but not able to prevent evil?  Then he is impotent.  Is he able but not willing?  Then he is malevolent.  Is he both able and willing?  Whence then is evil?  --Epicurus
NeonArmadillo
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008 07:48:21 AM »

I love your fabrics!! Everything is just so cute  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is infinitely stranger than the mind of man can imagine.-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jimmy Carter Talks About Leading a Worthy Life
Tartarus: Kingdom Wars II Book Trailer
Chuck Borsellino Talks About Pinocchio Parenting
GoldenGirl Book Trailer
Forever Young Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...