A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,730
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: amigurumi question- time to make one...  (Read 747 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bigfatroses
« on: February 27, 2008 07:37:49 PM »

Ok, so I'm a newbie at crochet.  Infact, I've been crocheting for, umm, a week and a half, and I've begun an amigurumi project, and it's taking FOREVER!   Shocked  I thought it would be fairly simple since it's a pattern for beginners...

Am I just lame, or do these types of things really take up a lot of time?

Thanks in advance!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have several craft books available for trade/Wist items/supplies.  Please see my profile for more info Smiley
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008 08:01:25 PM »

:)I had the same thoughts when I first started as well. The gabu pattern goes pretty quickly, you can find it on roxycraft.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008 07:09:56 AM »

Amigurumi are usually quite quick to make as they are often small. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigfatroses
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008 08:26:18 AM »

Amigurumi are usually quite quick to make as they are often small. 

Small?!?  Oh boy....  Knowing me, I probably chose the one project that doesn't fit into that catergory.  I'm only a third of a way done, and it's over 6 inches long...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have several craft books available for trade/Wist items/supplies.  Please see my profile for more info Smiley
Homerof2

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008 09:51:44 AM »

What are you making?  Did you get the pattern off the internet or a book?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigfatroses
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008 11:34:53 AM »

What are you making?  Did you get the pattern off the internet or a book?

I can't say what I'm making since it's for a swap, but I got the pattern off the net.  I can't remember what site off the top of my head. 

Oh, I just thought of another question- sorry if I'm annoying...  But, do different yarn weights make a difference in how long it takes to make amigurimi? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008 12:11:29 PM »

Quote from: bigfatroses
Oh, I just thought of another question- sorry if I'm annoying...  But, do different yarn weights make a difference in how long it takes to make amigurimi? 

That shouldn't affect how long it takes but it will affect the size of the item.

If you figure out where you got it off the net, you could PM me the web address and I could look at it - sometimes it's easier to answer questions if you know what you're actually talking about  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008 12:12:30 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kujikiri
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008 09:11:40 PM »

:)I had the same thoughts when I first started as well. The gabu pattern goes pretty quickly, you can find it on roxycraft.com

Yes!  I'm so totally modifying those into Loco Rocos!

I find I can usually do about 20 rounds (depending on how big the thing is) in one session; that is to say, one to two hours.  You should be starting to get into the flow of things at one and a half weeks.  When it just tells you to do x number of stitches for x number of rounds, set in a stitch marker, and let your mind go slack.  I find that I can crochet a lot, and don't realize how much time passed.  In that fashion, it'll go by a bit quicker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantkarma
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008 05:58:52 PM »

I think it really honestly depends on the person and the amount of time they've been crocheting. When I started crochet, I attempted my first amigurumi when I had been crocheting for only about a week or so and it took me about a night to do it (four hoursish), but that was because I was still learning increases/decreases, dc, tr, and even how to hold my yarn right and work my stitches correctly. Now that I've gotten a lot of the basics down semi-well, I can do an amigurumi in, meh, about an hour or two. It depends on the pattern. I did two amigurumi for a swap in one night, and they took me about an hour each...but I wouldn't be worrying about how long it takes you right now since you're a professed newbie.
I also have to say - sometimes taking longer is better. The very first ami I made was horrible because the book I learned crochet from had horrible instructions, so I did the wrong stitch throughout the whole thing! If you take the time to do it right, that's definitely not a bad thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008 08:19:39 AM »

I totally agree with instant karma. You just have to keep practicing. My first toy I made took me 3 weeks. It was  fairly large but wasn't complicated. However it was my first project in the round with multiple pieces and shaping that was more than chain stitches.
the more you do it the better you'll get.
Also it just depends on the person. I crochet way faster than my mom but usually I sit and crochet for several hours at a time. Where as she has a 2.5 year old and can only crochet after bedtime and during naps.
Once I get a rhythm going I find I'm fine but break the rhythm and I"m starting slow and working to fast again! lol

Yarn type can have an affect on time if the yarn is fussy or hard to work with. I find if I crochet with an eyelash yarn even though its the same weight as most worsteds I take longer, if I use a boucle forget speed!
Also you may work better with thinner or thicker yarn! Experiment and find out what you like and what works for you!
Just keep practicing! You'll get faster and better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Linda Chiumera - Artist Profile
Discover Artist Zilon and His Art
Discover Montreal Graffiti Artist Zilon
Contemporary Artist Lindsay Chambers on Her Paintings
How to Read Art - Turkish Sentinel by Charles Bargue
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...