A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amigurumi Standards  (Read 1536 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amber555
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008 12:02:39 AM »

For the eyes, I recommend the safety eyes too. As well, try to find the kind of felt that's sticky on the back for doing details like noses, mouths, and even eyes sometimes. This stuff is great for two reasons. First,  you don't have to mess around with glue. Second, you can draw out the shape you want on the back of the paper that's stuck to the felt.

As well I'd agree that amigurumi is mostly single crochet done in rounds, but I've seen plenty of pieces where arms and legs have a final row of half double crochet, or some other stitch to help shape them. Also on the note of legs, pieces that are pinched shut sit flatter, than pieces that are sewed on in an open shape. If you're making something that's going to sit down with its legs partially under its body, it's a good idea for those legs to be sewn shut. Generally patterns will tell you which way to sew pieces on. If they don't then hopefully there's a picture of the finished product you can look at to see how it was done.

I just started a blog last month where I'm featuring free patterns. Some I've made myself and some that are available elsewhere. A lot of what I'm into is amigurumi, or amigurumi like. Feel free to check it out.http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/ 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008 01:54:24 PM »

Eliea, you are a fountain of knowledge! Wink Thank you.

One more question (ok, two Grin): When sewing, do you generally whip stitch? And do you usually leave the pieces open to one another, or do you sort of close off the joint? For example, when you sew on a leg, do you sew through the body and around the circumference of the leg, leaving it essentially open, or do you sew through the body and both sides of the leg at once, so as to close it off? (Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I'm explaining it very well.) Or does it not matter? I am not a pro at sewing crocheted objects, so I'm trying to figure out the cleanest/neatest and easiest way to do it. Thanks again!
I agree with the other posters it depends on the pattern. But it also depends on the purpose of the part as well. For example. My pug pattern wouldn't stand up on it's own if you sewed the legs on the second way you mentioned. But if you want a toy to be floppy and hug-able then go for it!
There's really not right or wrong way to do that sort of thing. It's up to you. Smiley

There are some that sew them on the second way to use joints. That way they can be pose-able. But I personally usually sew them on in the first way for stability. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muddlepud
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008 08:57:38 PM »

Thanks, all! And thanks for the tip re: the needles. I was just thinking I need to buy some more because I've broken all my plastic ones.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama of two, eeking out a few creative hours a day.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."  ~Pablo Picasso
Shop
Blog
Flickr
hello color!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008 08:39:17 PM »

Ami = short for amimie = knit or crochet stitch. Gurumi = short for nuigurumi = stuffed toy. Any stuffed toy that you knit or crochet is, thus, amigurumi.

While there are some techniques that you'll find used in most amigurumi, not using those techniques (e.g. only sc, working in spiral, etc) doesn't make something any less of an amigurumi. Saying that all amigurumi have to have, let's say, head bigger than body is like saying that all scarves have to be right rectangles. Just like when you see a scarf made of flower shapes connected to one another and you don't think that that's a scarf wannabe, the same goes for a knitted/crocheted stuffed toy that's not all exclusively sc.

This reminds me of Greek philosophers. I'm probably wrong, but I think it was Plato that thought that every type of item (e.g. chair) can have something that perfectly embodies all of its characteristics. So, there's one perfect chair, and all other "chairs" that you see in the world are imperfect versions of the one chair. I don't think I need to go on to explain why that's not a view widely subscribed to nowadays...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008 06:26:57 AM »

Ami = short for amimie = knit or crochet stitch. Gurumi = short for nuigurumi = stuffed toy. Any stuffed toy that you knit or crochet is, thus, amigurumi.

While there are some techniques that you'll find used in most amigurumi, not using those techniques (e.g. only sc, working in spiral, etc) doesn't make something any less of an amigurumi. Saying that all amigurumi have to have, let's say, head bigger than body is like saying that all scarves have to be right rectangles. Just like when you see a scarf made of flower shapes connected to one another and you don't think that that's a scarf wannabe, the same goes for a knitted/crocheted stuffed toy that's not all exclusively sc.

This reminds me of Greek philosophers. I'm probably wrong, but I think it was Plato that thought that every type of item (e.g. chair) can have something that perfectly embodies all of its characteristics. So, there's one perfect chair, and all other "chairs" that you see in the world are imperfect versions of the one chair. I don't think I need to go on to explain why that's not a view widely subscribed to nowadays...
this may be true but so far anything that is in true Japanese style and amigurumi has the characteristics mentioned above. Doesn't mean anything not sticking to those characteristics isn't cute or fun to make. there are plenty of crocheted stuffies out there that are simply adorable no matter what the label.

I noticed most pattern books on e-bay beening sold with the "nuigurumi" label are sewn toys.
And most books with the amigurumi label are crocheted in the round, with sc stitches, without joining rounds. This is just my observation.
Personally it just bugs me when any crocheted toy is labeled amigurumi becasue they aren't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello color!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008 05:58:12 PM »

Any crocheted toy is amigurumi by definition. Btw re amigurumi not applying to knit toys - in Japanese, and in many other languages, the same word is used for knitting and crocheting. If you need to differentiate between the two, you'd say (verb) with hook, or (verb) with needles. So, there is no word in Japanese other than amigurumi to describe knit toys. If you can accept that, then the thing about sc in the round goes out the window.

And regarding the aesthetics part, would you say that what Beth Doherty makes is not amigurumi? Cause the humanoids that she's popular for have a body that's considerably bigger than the head...

Nuigurumi means stuffed toy, as I mentioned before, so since most stuffed toys are plushies, it makes sense that most things labeled nuigurumi are plushies. Btw, on eBay, many things are mislabeled so they come up in more searches, so if you believed eBay keywords, you'd think that felted food is amigurumi.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008 06:07:12 PM »

Any crocheted toy is amigurumi by definition. Btw re amigurumi not applying to knit toys - in Japanese, and in many other languages, the same word is used for knitting and crocheting. If you need to differentiate between the two, you'd say (verb) with hook, or (verb) with needles. So, there is no word in Japanese other than amigurumi to describe knit toys. If you can accept that, then the thing about sc in the round goes out the window.

And regarding the aesthetics part, would you say that what Beth Doherty makes is not amigurumi? Cause the humanoids that she's popular for have a body that's considerably bigger than the head...

Nuigurumi means stuffed toy, as I mentioned before, so since most stuffed toys are plushies, it makes sense that most things labeled nuigurumi are plushies. Btw, on eBay, many things are mislabeled so they come up in more searches, so if you believed eBay keywords, you'd think that felted food is amigurumi.
I'm not saying everything labeled amigurumi is amigurumi. I do not believe everything I read.  I was just pointing out my observations.
Now I do have a question though?
What about before "amigurumi" was popular? Does that mean toys from post war era, or even after were amigurumi too? That makes no sense to me what so ever.
And most books with the amigurumi label are crocheted in the round, with sc stitches, without joining rounds. This is just my observation.
I'm not insisting I'm right I'm more than happy to be wrong. But it's my pet peeve when absolutely anything is labeled amigurumi and it isn't.
I've noticed this on not only e-bay but some Japanese blogs as well. Unfortunately I don't book mark everything so I couldn't point them out. srry.

As for the artist you mentioned she can label her toys whatever she likes. But from my observations they aren't amigurumi if they aren't made the way amigurumi is.
Just like anything else. You can call it whatever you want that's your choice because you made it. Doesn't matter to me.
Perhaps this is one of those issues where there is no right or wrong answer. Either way I"m stepping away from the conversation because it's frustrating me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muddlepud
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008 12:18:39 PM »

Wow. Totally didn't mean to spark a debate on one of my first thread. Oops. Undecided

Thanks for all the input. I did some browsing online and in Amigurumi books, and it seems like both parties are sort of right. The definition of the actual term Amigurumi seems to include any sort of toy made from "stitches," whether knit or crochet. But it also looks like most "authentic" Amigurumi is worked in single crochet spirals. In the end, I suppose it really doesn't matter all that much. It's not like it's gonna stop me from making what I want just because it differs from the "standard." Eh, you say to-MAY-to, I'll say to-MAH-to. Wink

Thanks again for all the input. I will have you all to thank when my crafty area begins to overflow with squishy little creatures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama of two, eeking out a few creative hours a day.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."  ~Pablo Picasso
Shop
Blog
Flickr
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David A. Kessler Talks About The End of Overeating
ReShonda Tate Billingsley Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Suzy Welch Reveals Who She Admires Most
Mark Bittman Reveals His Greatest Achievement
Suzy Welch Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
The Zombie Trend: Now... Sheep!
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...