A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Environmentally Friendly DIY Cleaners?  (Read 1220 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Skellerz
« on: February 27, 2008 06:27:33 PM »

I'm not exactly sure where to post this, but I'm on a mission.
I leave for college in a few months.
I'd love to make my own floor/bathroom/whatever cleaners.
Chemicals play havoc with my skin and such.

Anyone have any favorite recipies?

EDIT:
I don't have any pets or anything, sorry for the confusion Smiley
There might be a hamster in the equation at one point, but as of yet, nothing ^.^
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008 07:30:04 PM by Skellerz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008 07:00:45 PM »

I know citrus is great for cleaning stuff.

Here's some recipes I found doing a search. They look decent, but I haven't tried any of them. http://www.eaudrey.com/cleaning.htm

FYI, I don't have pets so I don't know what is safe to use around them, so do some research before you use essential oils or whatever if you have pets.

I have used various essential oils to keep ants out of the kitchen though! Lemon eucalyptus is good for that (it doesn't smell like lemon or eucalyptus, it smells like citronella, another good one for keeping buggies away.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
fellybabe
fashion is like my skin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008 10:50:44 PM »

Am into cleaning(office,home,industrial cleaning,fumigation/pest control and enviromental services.
For your bath,tiles floor, u can wet the surface with jik(an household product used 2 wash white fabrics) and then apply vim and sponge and scrub lightly, it will glow back as if u just install it. But for tiles floor rather than scrubbing, u can just mop. As for d insects, u can fumigate ur house. Will post those chemicals later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

can't do without my hubby and fashion
auroravioletta
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008 12:30:59 AM »

Either of these books are great:

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Basics-Home-Simple-Solutions/dp/0609803255
http://www.amazon.com/Clean-House-Planet-Karen-Logan/dp/0671535951/ref=pd_sim_b_title_1

I do most of my cleaning with simple one or two ingredient mixtures. I have three spray bottles that I use pretty much all the time. One has a mixture of soap and water, one is plain white vinegar, one has hydrogen peroxide. I also keep a shaker full of baking soda. The soap is either a mild eco-friendly detergent, or Dr. Bronner's. It doesn't really matter which, unless you're sensitive to one or the other or have hard water.

The baking soda is scrubby. If you need to scrub something, it usually works.
The vinegar is perfect for most surface-cleaning needs (I use it for my mirrors, faucets, toilet, stove, etc). Just remember to wipe the surface dry when you use it, to prevent spots. If something is greasy or sticky, I use the soap and water. The hydrogen peroxide is for laundry help (biological stains or anything with a musty smell--as long as you don't let it sit on the fabric for more than a few hours, it won't fade the colors any), mold, and anything possibly gross and bacteria ridden. It fizzes! (I like hydrogen peroxide because it's cheap and because bleach is too chemically for me.) Those few cleaning ingredients are really all I've found I need on a regular basis.

There are a couple of threads here on craftster, but dang if I remember where they were. (Miscellaneous, maybe?) Try doing a general search, and you should find something. Also, there are tons of recipes out there in google-land. (And a lot of them are variations on the same themes.)

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
meiserlee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008 06:50:07 AM »

here's a recipe for a really great all-purpose cleaner.  i use it in my kitchen, bathroom, (anywhere you would use 409 or etc.) 
in a spray bottle, add 1 tbsp. borax, and 2-3 tbsp vinegar.  add a little hot water, swish around until borax is dissolved.  then add 2-3 drops dish detergent (i use dawn), 10 or so drops of essential oil (ex. tea tree- antiseptic qualities, lemon- smells wonderful, lavendar, etc.), and water to fill. 
i use one of the larger spray bottles from the dollar store and the whole thing lasts close to a month.  my oldest son has asthma and allergies and this does not bother him at all. 
i also use a spray bottle filled with water and a small "glop" (maybe a tsp?) of bleach to sanitize things after cleaning.  this leaves just a slight bleachy smell which goes away quickly. 
i also use baking soda for the bathtub which i have scented with lemon essential oil.  just cut open the top of a small box, put a few drops of oil in the baking soda, and mix in with a fork.  you can also scent vinegar using essential oils.  it really helps if you can't stand the smell of vinegar.
natural cleaners do work but sometimes take a bit more elbow grease.  i spray the all purpose spray liberally on my stovetop and let it sit for a bit while i do other things (just a few minutes maybe).  when i go to wipe it off, the crusties are soaked, and come off easily.  it's quite liberating to use the natural cleaners, when you think of the money that you are saving.  good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008 07:56:35 AM »

Baking soda, lots of water, and elbow grease - you can't beat it. Steel wool and a wire brush work great too. Keep a steady supply of towels and napkins handy. If you don't have your own bathroom, don't clean it. You're paying room and board and part of that is payment to people to clean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skellerz
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008 06:57:26 PM »

here's a recipe for a really great all-purpose cleaner.  i use it in my kitchen, bathroom, (anywhere you would use 409 or etc.) 
in a spray bottle, add 1 tbsp. borax, and 2-3 tbsp vinegar.  add a little hot water, swish around until borax is dissolved.  then add 2-3 drops dish detergent (i use dawn), 10 or so drops of essential oil (ex. tea tree- antiseptic qualities, lemon- smells wonderful, lavendar, etc.), and water to fill.

Roughly how much water should I use?

@naturalcreation:   I'm going to EMU, so the bathrooms are shared between suites.
We're responsible for cleaning our own :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missnihkii
Savoring this carpet ceiling.

missnihkiiiikhinssim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008 03:22:55 PM »

well, heres a great site. i believe you can buy it fairly cheap, or make it yourself..

http://schoolconcerns.com/NonChemical_SOLUTIONS.html

my mom makes the stuff,
and i swear by it!

i believe its probably an equal mix of all four oils, but read on this site, it has a lot of good facts about whats in our makeup, chemical dangers, nd what not.

and props to you for wanting a natural cleaner!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Nihkii

Personal swaps?YES YES YES!!

so..im OBSESSED with buttons and stickers..

MissNihkiis Wist

i miss my colorado Sad
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008 03:29:16 PM »

Some interesting info, but yeah, definitely make your own blend, they are so ripping people off! Citrus oils are the cheapest essential oils too, I can't believe what some people charge when they sell essential oils.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
missnihkii
Savoring this carpet ceiling.

missnihkiiiikhinssim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008 03:47:34 PM »

well, her prices are way better than thieves.

http://www.youngliving.us/products.asp

and its pretty much the same thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Nihkii

Personal swaps?YES YES YES!!

so..im OBSESSED with buttons and stickers..

MissNihkiis Wist

i miss my colorado Sad
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Perfect Tailgate Foods: Healthy Sausage Options
Favorite Game Day Treats Under 300 Calories
How to Make a Breakfast Burger
Dry Rubbed Smoked BBQ Ribs
What To Do With Breakfast Leftovers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...