A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,654
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitting with gloves on?  (Read 354 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kannd86
« on: February 26, 2008 07:55:32 PM »

I'm entirely prepared to be laughed at here as I'm very strange and asking a silly question.  If you think I'm crazy, that's just fine.  But maybe, just maybe, you can relate.  I hate the feel of certain fibers.  I absolutely hate working with cotton.  The way the yarn feels on my fingers really bothers me.  It just feels grossI've always felt this way in one way or another. The only sheets I sleep on are jersey knit cotton (which I know is is the opposite of what you would think seeing as I hate knitting/crocheting with cotton).  The yarn I'm working with now is rayon -  which is fine, but if I knit for a long period of time, it starts to bother me.  The same goes for wool and acrylic, to a lesser extent.  Does anyone else have these issues?

Getting to the point... would it be absurd to occasionally knit wearing gloves?  Is there such a thing as latex/vinyl/rubber gloves that are skin-tight and breathable?  If I wore actual rubber gloves my hands would sweat (I tried it once crocheting a doily).  Any kind of winter glove would be too bulky and get in the way of knitting.  So go ahead and call me crazy, but I've always known I was abnormal.  It won't be news to me lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008 09:53:25 PM »

I can't think of any latex-type gloves that would be 'breathable' as I understand you.
If I were to wear gloves while knitting because the feel of some fibres bothered me, I would try very fine cotton gloves. Or perhaps you might find your hands felt different if you used a moisturiser - maybe one from the chemist that is a lotion good for irritation etc. - or if you find that you dislike the feel of rayon after say 90 minutes, you could have another project going in another fibre and only do an hour per day max. on the rayon project?
Talcum powder on the hands might also make it feel better (depending on the exact nature of the yucky feeling you get with rayon).

Many people hate working with cotton and even find it uncomfortable/painful. If you can't find a fix that allows you to work with uncomfortable fibres comfortably (if you know what I mean) maybe try slowly graduating away? Like if you hate cotton, how do you feel about 50% cotton and 50% something else? 60% cotton? 80% cotton?

Cotton and rayon have some nice properties - if you want to knit with those for example, perhaps it's because you don't like animal fibres (your tactile dislike of cotton and rayon aside)? If that were the case you might like to check out bamboo, corn/maize, soy etc. fibres? Silk?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
antiruth

nearly 30 weeks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008 05:49:29 AM »

What about silk gloves?

Motorcyclists wear them under the leather ones sometimes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elegant Readings with Michael Ian Black
Peter Walsh: It’s All Too Much
Robert Muchamore on the CHERUB Series
Filmmaker Malla Nunn Discusses Her Favorite Movie
Jeannette Walls Talks About Her Life
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...