A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frozen Tofu- how to? suggestions?  (Read 1365 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skoo
« on: February 27, 2008 02:51:01 PM »

i recently heard about freezing tofu to make the consistency better.  i've heard conflicting ways though, some say just to freeze in the package you got it, to drain it first and wrap it, one said it has to be frozen for 72 hours, another said to boil the package (that was frozen) in water to unthaw it.  confusing, and the last one was kinda alarming.  can you really boil plastic? Shocked
anyways,  here are my questions:
have you tried it and what change did you see in the consistency and/or flavor?
what way do you freeze it and thaw it?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008 03:09:04 PM »

When I've frozen tofu, its consistency changed from a regular tofu texture to, literally, sponge texture.  It turns into a big sponge, which I think is cool.

I've frozen the tofu in its original container, and to thaw it, I either ran hot water over the container until I could open it and remove the frozen block and then thawed it in a bowl of hot water, or I've removed the block and microwaved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onsidewalks

our hearts pump dust

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008 06:54:49 PM »

i've frozen tofu many times. as a matter of fact, i prefer it to be frozen!
I find the texture to be a bit tougher and more spongy, in general.. better! didn't notice any flavour changes though.
i just chuck it in the freezer in it's original package, and to thaw it, i take it out a few hours before i need it. And if it's still frozen-ish, i'll just pop it in the mircrowave - in the original package - for a few seconds. (might not be the best way, but its quick and easy) then i still press it for at least one hour.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm gonna try it all ... eventually
skoo
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008 03:39:22 PM »

thanks guys!  I put a block o' tofu in the freezer last nite- we'll see Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
serendipity3_82
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008 01:56:09 AM »

Oh, and since I learned this the hard way, don't freeze the 'Silken' tofu (it'll say right on the packaging if it's silken).  The results aren't pretty. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
heini
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008 11:31:50 AM »

I let the tofu unfreeze (is that a word?) on a table or fridge, depending on how soon I'm going to eat it. Then I squeeze it between towels until I get the extra water off and then slice and marinade it. I haven't noticed any changes in texture, but after freezing you're able to squeeze it dryer and the dryer the tofu is, the better it absorbs flavours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skoo
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008 03:29:02 PM »

so i did it! and yeah, TOTALLY like a sponge texture.  but in a good way!  i much prefer it and will be using it this way from now on.
BTW i put it in a tupperware container (with water), froze it for a couple of days, then brought it out and let it thaw in the fridge for a couple days.  then drained it before cooking.  literally squeezed it out like a sponge! awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lazurii

He did his first LOOK today!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008 11:57:11 PM »

I think the texture changes as soon as it's frozen, so you don't have to wait for days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gearwe
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008 01:10:19 PM »

One of my favourites is to shallow fry (about 2cm of oil) tofu pieces until they're golden brown, put them in a colander in the sink and douse them with hot water from the kettle, which removes a lot of the grease. Then let the whole thing cool off and freeze the pre-fried pieces. That way you've got bite-size tofu that you just need to throw in to stir-frys, re-heat (microwave, bake,...) and serve with a dip,... Very versatile and tasty Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
skoo
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008 01:28:54 PM »

thanks gearwe! sounds good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Your Animation to Dance to Music - Shake 4
How to Create Panoramic Plates - Shake 4
How to Track Obscured Points - Shake 4
How to Use Smooth Cam - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Soften Skin - Color
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...