A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Country Plaque Recon: Drab-to-Fab  (Read 1833 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kcartwright856
« on: February 27, 2008 10:20:08 AM »

So when you watch too much HGTV, you decide that everything needs repainted. My husband and I are moving very soon and we (mostly I) decided that we are painting and decorating our room in a light blue with chocolate brown colored accents and some neat Victorian stencils. We are moving into his old bedroom in his parents' house. (Yay.  Undecided) As my mother-in-law was cleaning out her junk making room for us, she offered me this plaque which you can see from the before pictures is very... something. I decided that it could be made to fit into the style of our new room.

Before:

After: (This is the most true-to-color shot I could manage. Try to picture a brown that looks like liquid chocolate and a light Robin's Egg blue of sorts.)

I sanded it down all over with a paper grit that wasn't quite right, but it got the job done. I painted two coats of brown all over the inside area where the letters are, and painted all the outside blue while I waited for it to dry. Turns out I needed 4 coats of blue to cover the plaid paint. Then I painted the top of the letters, which took me two hours. I didn't have a detail brush, so I just went really slow to ensure that I only covered the tops of the letters. This also took 4 coats. Then I took a stencil I bought to test out how I want to do my walls on poster board, but it was too big for the plaque. I decided to only use the inside of the design. It looked like it needed something more, so I found a little section of the stencil that I thought would look good where the little holes for the hanging wire are. Three coats of clear gloss polyurethane varnish and I call it done. It took quite literally all day (yesterday) from start to finish.

The great news? My husband actually really likes it!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008 10:21:57 AM by kcartwright856 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008 10:35:36 AM »

This is one of the best recon's on this sort of plaque I have seen. You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kcartwright856
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008 10:52:33 AM »

Thanks! Do you guys think it needs anything? I think I have that problem where I don't know when to stop working on something. I can't help but think there is something cool I can do to the heart. But I guess maybe it really is just done.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clovergrace
The Positive Pessimest

Sometimes when you fall, you fly.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008 03:48:49 PM »

I love it! I am not a big fan of country decor, and that's what all the heart home plaques tend to look like...you made it amazing and chic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008 04:50:36 PM »

I have to totally agree with you on HGTV=painting! My hubby and I just moved into his parent's house (I feel your pain), and I'm trying to convince his mom and dad to paint their faded peach living room.

I love that color scheme, and those scroll stencils look awesome on it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kcartwright856
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008 06:42:46 PM »

I have to totally agree with you on HGTV=painting! My hubby and I just moved into his parent's house (I feel your pain), and I'm trying to convince his mom and dad to paint their faded peach living room.

I love that color scheme, and those scroll stencils look awesome on it!  Cheesy

We should make a support group.  Wink HGTV is a bittersweet disease, to be sure. I am using the move as an excuse to go a bit deco-crazy. Lucky for me, my mother-in-law is colorblind so I am helping her pick out colors for her other rooms and she just nods!

Thanks for the support on the colors. I needed a pick-me-up after I emailed it to my brother and he said it looks like a bad polyester suit. I guess that's brothers for you.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runningbear
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008 12:12:48 PM »

I like it, but the plain blue heart looks a tad unfinished...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kcartwright856
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008 03:10:03 PM »

I like it, but the plain blue heart looks a tad unfinished...

That's what I keep saying to myself looking at it.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MandyLikesPie
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008 06:07:00 AM »

I really like it as it is, but if you think the heart looks unfinished, maybe you could put tiny brown swirls or polka dots in it? Kinda like the dots in the centers of the pretty things in the corners.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnds1992
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008 05:54:46 PM »

this is now so cute and trendy and I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roasted and Stuffed Acorn Squash: A Hearty Fall Side Dish
Constructed Squash Blossom Tacos
Apple Pancakes Recipe
Sarah Jessica Parker’s Life Changed by Burger Recipe
Make These Cute, Open-Faced Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...