A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,115
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you remove foam double sided sticky crap from walls?  (Read 1444 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plumpossum
« on: February 27, 2008 10:07:46 AM »

The previous owners of our house, bless their hearts, fell victim to the gold splattered mirrored wall trend of the early to mid 70s.  When we moved in, we had the most god awful disgusting mirrored tiles adhered to the walls of what is now my son's bedroom.  Before he was born (keep in mind here, the kid is two and a half now...), we pulled the mirrors down in an effort to modernize the room.  The mirrors were on there so well, they nearly cracked in half when we tried to pull them off.  The mirrors have now been down for ohhhhh about THREE YEARS and we cannot figure out how to get the stupid double sided foam tape off the walls.  We're talking space shuttle grade stuff here.  The problem is, since it is thick, foamy tape, I can't even paint over it.  So everything in his room is lovely and sweet, and then the large back wall is old, yellowed floral wallpaper (oh my, how did I forget to mention the beauty of 30 year old wallpaper that was placed in the only room in the house where the owners smoked?) with about 35 or 40 evenly spaced globs of nasty old double stick foam tape.

How on earth do I get this crap off my wall without putting holes in the wall?  It's not even sticky any more, it's more like hardened cement.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008 10:10:34 AM »

Have you tried attacking it with Goo Gone? That removes a lot of things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
starryeyes11

you are an important part of the computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008 12:10:16 PM »

Goof Off is really good at removing sticky stuff as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftjunkie
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008 06:27:02 PM »

the only things i can suggest is to take a hammer & some other tool & try to knock it off... or you can find a sander & use really course  sandpaper & try to sand it down to the wall.... you can always call up a contractor & ask their opinion.. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheWomanMonster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008 06:28:58 PM »

I thought goo-gone too, then a damp sponge to clean off the residue and some sand paper to smooth out any left overs.

Should work ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheWomanMonster. I'm crafty!
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." - Nietzsche.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008 05:25:47 PM »

I find plastic knives (you, know fast food leftover types) work nicely on surfaces that otherwise might take a lot of damage from heavier tools. I'd goo-gone it then use the plastic knife for removal. Bonus: you can toss the knife without guilt after it's all covered with ick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008 06:53:12 AM »

orange oil will dissolve the glue usually but if it is stuck onto wallpaper it may come off when you remove the paper. I would suggest using a rented steam machine to remove the paper as a lot of the 70s paper was "waterproofed' -they made things to laaaasst back then Wink

I just removed 40yo goo from a wooden machine cover -I didn't have goo-gone but did have a bottle of scented orange oil and that took off everything without damaging the wood. I think there is something in the orange oil which dissolves most glues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amybarnett
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008 10:29:28 PM »

what about a mr clean magic eraser? they do a bang up job on almost everything
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008 06:30:46 PM »

if you can get most of the foam tape off, the left over residue can be removed with Avon's Skin So Soft.  It will take just about anything sticky off and it smells better than goof off I think
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Delicious One-Minute Caramel Mousse
A Parfait You Can Make in 30 Seconds!
How to Make Nutella Pancakes
Warm Crème Anglaise Cake with Katherine Heigl
How to Make a Chocolate Banana Strudel
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...