A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
927 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: slouch disaster  (Read 1713 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elfin enigma
« on: February 27, 2008 09:44:48 AM »

i was so happy to finish it!  i don't even like hats but i thought this one might change me.  the directions were clear, i had no problems aside from the fact i wish i had started from the outside of the yarn to get more of that dark purple than the reddish purple...UNTIL...i was taking pictures when i saw a weird spot and i picked up it for a closer inspection and things started to unravel (not-so-great pic below to illustrate)!  how could i not notice a dropped stitch...(or a few?!)  ahhhhh!  is there any way to fix this, you think?  : (((  so sad... 

the disaster!

pretty purple

just being silly...

**edited to fix giant image, sorry.**
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008 09:48:04 AM by elfin enigma » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkylarO
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008 10:09:29 AM »

I really like the color yarn you used!  You can usually pick up dropped stitches with a crochet needle, but I'm not completely sure how you would do this on a finished piece.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterbean
Comptroller of Messes

Puppy juice!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008 11:11:51 AM »

I would pick up and reknit just like when you're knitting on an unfinished garment, but when you get to where the stitch would connect and you can't connect it because it's already finished (does that make sense), take some thread that matches and tack it to the stitch above.  Hope this helps.

Holly
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008 11:21:56 AM »

What Holly said, though instead of thread, take a couplethree inch piece of the yarn, stick it through the loop of the loose stitch, bring it to the WS and weave the ends in. It'll almost look like it belonged there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
elfin enigma
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008 09:23:29 PM »

so i decided to do the whole thing over again...i wanted the band a little smaller and to use more of the part of the yarn i liked better, and i just couldn't live with that messy dropped stitch part.   so i finished and guess what...AGAIN!  arggggh, i'm so frustrated.  well i wove in the loop as best i could, ended it pulled through to the wrong side pretty snug and tied a loop of yarn in a knot through it so it wouldn't pop back out.  i guess it's the dpns i'm not used to?  the aluminum ones, esp, that are longer than they should be for this project.  grr.  oh well, i'm not doing it over yet again, i'll just have to deal with it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayerlove
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008 04:19:38 PM »

post a FO pic! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
soozeq
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008 08:18:36 PM »

Oh dear, so sorry to hear that. Maybe you could try a circular needle or two next hat. You don't drop stitches with circs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
elfin enigma
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008 03:17:45 PM »

okay, FO pics!  i wore it last night, i think i like it.  (as previously mentioned i'm not much a hat person...  it is hard to put it on and arrange it just so, but that's just me being fussy, ha.)  i tried to get a shot of it on to demonstrate the slouch factor, turned out to be harder than i thought to capture!  but i'll put the bad pics anyway.  the yarn is moda dea tweedle dee, isn't it pretty?  it took less than one skein for me, which is only 155 yards and the pattern suggested 200 yds, just fyi...i couldn't find what weight the yarn in the pattern was, but this one's bulky, #4 i think.  btw, i did use circulars up until the point it got too small to fit on there, then very carefully swtiched to the dpns.  i still don't get how it happened AND that i didn't catch it, i kept count and all...  oh well, you can't even see it.  a lesson for next time i guess.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayerlove
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008 08:54:01 PM »

I LOVE it! great color yarn too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
michelle2007
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008 09:06:07 AM »

great job on the hat  Smiley

That has happened to me before, i've finished up and then notice a drop stitch... not sure if its the correct way to treat a dropped stitch when you've finished an item, but i get a crochet hook, find a ladder from where the dropped stitch may have come from, and then pull the dropped stitch through each of the ladders (front for a knit or back for a purl) then get a thread of the yarn and tie it to another stitch and fasten, and weave in... it has worked most of the time, and i can't notice anything different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Steak Salad with Honey Shallot Raspberry Vinaigrette
Cooking With Chloe, Episode 3
How to Make Honey Glazed Winter Squash
How to Make Cranberry Salsa
How to Cook Thyme and Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...