A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does ANYONE digitize? Or is it all just a myth?  (Read 4836 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixeegrl
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008 06:02:43 PM »

Thanks for the links craftydeb. Was looking for some help with Embird! After paying for the program they also want you to pay for the tutorials!
Craft Addict I love your Mike Ness avatar!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008 12:39:19 PM »

Of all the programs out there, you are most likely to be able to find free advice on Embird.  It is a very popular program. 

There are wonderful digitized designs out there...in every catagory you might want....

Zundtdesign.com  Wonderful heavy laces and light weight laces..done by a man.

http://www.advanced-embroidery-designs.com/   from fine lace to old master's (paintings)

http://www.bfc-creations.com/   AMAZING designs

Hatchedinafrica.com   Wide range of excellent designs

http://www.abc-embroidery-designs.com/

EMblibrary.com  (most everyone knows about this one)

Check with Secrets of Embroidery.  They are a clearing house of different designers. 

There is also a new Urban design company that was founded by one of the designers at EL...be on the lookout for it.  Their designs are much more modern

embroideryonline.com  A wide mixture of all kinds of designs...many commercial quality.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cya
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008 09:24:22 AM »

I create all my designs myself and digitize them. Don't give up, it's definitely worth it!
It helps if you start with something very simple and work your way from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewnutzz
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008 09:47:45 PM »

Have you taken any of the classes offered by your Viking dealer?  You should have a number of free classes (well, not so free since you paid a premium for your machine and software...) available to you, not to mention a dealer who should be able to help you with your digitizing questions.  Attend the shop's embroidery club, get to really know your machine and the software. 

I found that there was a huge learning curve in learning how to digitize....have been learning how to for years now, still learning new stuff.  Use the tutorial that came with your digitizing software.  Go over it step by step.  Practice, practice, practice.  Remember, you did not go to school knowing how to write in cursive (and probably were not so good at printing), the same is true for digitizing.  It takes instruction, practice, messing up, figuring out where you messed up, then doing it again.

Good luck,
SewNutzz (who was about to toss all the embroidery stuff over the weekend because the design she was working on just did not want to do right....arrrrrrrrhhhhhh!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FiberDogs
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008 05:34:15 PM »

Does anyone use Master Works?

Its pricey - its hurts - but my dealer digitized a naughty librarian drawing for me and it looked fab.

Hubby downloaded Embird for me, but we ditched it because it was super buggy on my machine - and the tutorials online seemed buggy too - anyone have similar experience?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitchesbyteresa
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008 05:38:41 PM »

I've purchased several designs from

http://www.glennharris.com.au/

and I have also requested certain designs and he would make them really quick.  If you look at his pages, it will inspire you to keep trying.  He does amazing work.  He's in austraila, but has paypal set up for americans.  I make my own designs, but I mostly prefer making applique designs as they are much faster and it doesnt take a long time to create the design from scratch.

Teresa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lowree
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008 04:35:52 PM »

I have to jump in here on this thread! lol.. I digitize too, but like someone earlier said, it's not something you are going to learn over night. It does take time to learn the tecniques and to learn your program. I see many ppl who digitize use embird.. I tried that but then purchased the PE Designs (by Brother). I am sure if i stuck w/ embird i may have picked the program up easier, but i went online and found forums w/ the Brother software and found a person that litterally walked me step by step on how to operate PE Designs.

So i've been using this ever since and i love it. The key to any home digitizing is that your 'picture' that you are digitizing to have very clean, crisp lines. Specially if you are new to the world of digitizing. When i first started to digitize, i was picking pictures that were very complex with tiny tiny details.. well that's a big no no.. in order to learn you have to start small and then move on from there.

Starting small allows you to make your mistakes, then learn from them. When you start off with a very intense, intricate design, you then have no clue what you are messing up on, in turn it makes you very frustrated and then you give up. Take a small basic picture that might have one or 2 colors, learn how to place them, call the stitches that you want, your density ......stitch it out......you then can learn from the basic and move forward... next design you do, you then attempt maybe one w/ more lines and 3 colors.. then so on and so on..

I thought oh boy.......i now got the software i can digitize.......well, it doesnt' work that way.. start small and basic and learn to grow from there.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madeupnorth
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008 11:24:45 AM »

where are some cool designs?? There seems to be no end to the teddy bears and baby stuff, but nothing that is similar to say the Sublime Stiching patterns

Bit late to the game here, but ... http://www.urbanthreads.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the day job: Urban Threads (rockin' machine/hand embroidery designs)
Cheesamaburger
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008 11:58:50 AM »

I have used the 3D and 4D.  I have a Designer SE.  Yes, I went overboard. 

It takes some practice before you can get something good.  I've found that the image you use has to be really simple, and it has to be only one color.  It may look like it's only one color to you, but when you zoom in on it, it's really many shades.  I think it's bitmap images that have the least color variation?  I spend at least a half hour editing images so that they have just a couple of colors.  Then, I can use the 3D or 4D digitizer and it works much better. 

The software you have has tutorials that come with it.  You really need to look on your machine for the tutorial files and DO them, if you haven't yet.  I haven't even done all of mine yet, but after I did some of them then the whole process started to work for me. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amarok
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008 04:52:48 AM »

i have the 4D and am so jealous. you say there are good tutorials? WHERE? the manual (with the tutorials) that came with the program all show me how to do something to a design that already exists. i actually don't want to know about that, i only want to know how to MAKE something. i've read through the tutorials and made some of the practice thingies on there but they REALLY don't help me. i'm quite sad and angry about this. and i bought the program from helsinki and live in kotka - so there's a 130km drive if i want to go and learn. before i bought the program we went over the basics with the person who sold me this. she always helps me when i have any questions. but i really really would love it if i could go to a course somewhere were they would teach me how to make my own designs from scratch. preferably from my own pictures. i'm thinking that one day i should go to helsinki and bug the person who sold me the program for a whole day! Cheesy maybe i'd learn. it's just that i have a very iffy memory, so i really should go like every day for a few weeks so that i wouldn't get too much information at one go and would remember the things afrerwards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Light a Portrait
How to Light a Still Life
How to Choose Your Virtual Film Speed
How to Choose Your Shutter Speed
Recipe Photo Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...