A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wood Burnt Squid Pasta Fork  (Read 6029 times)
Tags for this thread: pasta  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

giantsquid
« on: February 26, 2008 04:45:33 PM »

A couple of years ago I bought myself a really cheep wood burning kit at Michael's hoping to make stuff in the vein of the beautiful www.sticks.com furniture I had seen at a couple of different art galleries and fell in love with. I tried a couple of things that didn't really turn out and then put it away and never really thought about it much. I was looking at craftster the other day though and saw this post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=225375.msg2438407;topicseen#msg2438407 by Annie-bleam that got me thinking about pulling it out again.  When I was at Ikea the other day I noticed these really plain sets of wood utensils and thought they would be the perfect, useful but cheep, thing to try wood burning on.

Here is my first result, a squid pasta fork. I still need to draw designs to fit on the spoon and that thing with the holes in it. I have no clue what that is called or what it's for.

UPDATE: Octopus holy spatula on page 3
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008 07:40:16 AM by giantsquid » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008 04:52:09 PM »

Wow!  Thanks fo sharing!  I just bought a cheap wood burning kit at Michael's for a swap project, then learned that it wouldn't (woodn't?) work on veneer - at least not the veneer I was trying, at my skill level (novice) as it pretty much vaporized it.  But damned, if I'm going to return a craft tool!  This is a great idea for practice!  If it turns out, it's useful and cool if it doesn't it's not heartbreaking.  I really like your squid, too and not just because it fits so nicely.

I hope someone who posts here knows what that hole-y thing is for, because I sure don't!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saxifrage

Drop tuition, not bombs.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008 04:56:13 PM »

Argh, this makes me want a wood-burning kit! I REALLY like the squid design. Where did you get that squid wisk thingummy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantkarma
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008 05:56:25 PM »

Oh my goodness, I love the squid fork! That is soooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
crochet hooker12
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008 05:57:24 PM »

This is such a cool idea! It would make an awesome, cheap gift for that foodie everyone knows.

I think the holey thing is kind of like a modified spatula, though I've been known to be wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mowing your lawn is against nature!" Rufus' response to Rev. Sheldon's comment about homosexuality being against nature
nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008 06:36:10 PM »

That is freakin AWESOME!! Seriously. Are they utensil size, like for cooking, or smaller for eating?

But for realskies.... that is AmAZINg. I think I love you.

"This rocks"d!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
cjtarot
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008 06:53:42 PM »

Grin

Hi,

Just wanted to say WOW..what a great idea. And how fun are squid...Wouldn't salad spoons and forks be great gifts..I think you have hit on something here.

I also checked out the web site Sticks.  They do beautiful work  and are a great inspiration. 

Cj
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tasket.basket
Darn . . . It was my turn to bring the Bundt cake.

The internet is made of people.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008 07:01:17 PM »

What a great idea!  Now that you've done it, that pasta fork looks like it was made to be squidified.  And the squid is beautiful!  I can't wait to see what you do with the other pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's really only one question that can be answered . . . and we already know the answer. . . .  -- Ursula K. LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness

my blog
my wists
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008 07:21:19 PM »

Ha! This is so cool! I love squidy tentacles. It'd be funny if you use it with noodles.. Hehe.. I'm a dork Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
giantsquid
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008 09:16:15 PM »

Thanks so much for the compliments everyone!

Where did you get that squid wisk thingummy?

My dad bought me the squid whisk. I think it came from a weird ceramics place on Cayuga Lake in upstate New York that my aunt took us to called MacKenzie-Childs.  http://www.mackenzie-childs.com

Are they utensil size, like for cooking, or smaller for eating?

They are definitely cooking utensil sized

TheMistressT- The wood this is made out of also isn't ideal for wood burning (because it's really soft).  I think hard wood is probably the best.  But these were definitely cheep enough that it didn't matter too much if I ruined them.  I would test out the wood burner on cheep stuff or a part that won't show first.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chopped Steak Recipe
Crawfish Bisque Recipe
Bison Chili to go with your beer
Country Style and Lemon Balsamic Green Beans Recipe
Wild Sockeye Salmon Roasted on a Cedar Plank
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...