A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wood Burnt Squid Pasta Fork  (Read 6912 times)
Tags for this thread: pasta  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

giantsquid
« on: February 26, 2008 04:45:33 PM »

A couple of years ago I bought myself a really cheep wood burning kit at Michael's hoping to make stuff in the vein of the beautiful www.sticks.com furniture I had seen at a couple of different art galleries and fell in love with. I tried a couple of things that didn't really turn out and then put it away and never really thought about it much. I was looking at craftster the other day though and saw this post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=225375.msg2438407;topicseen#msg2438407 by Annie-bleam that got me thinking about pulling it out again.  When I was at Ikea the other day I noticed these really plain sets of wood utensils and thought they would be the perfect, useful but cheep, thing to try wood burning on.

Here is my first result, a squid pasta fork. I still need to draw designs to fit on the spoon and that thing with the holes in it. I have no clue what that is called or what it's for.

UPDATE: Octopus holy spatula on page 3
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008 07:40:16 AM by giantsquid » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008 04:52:09 PM »

Wow!  Thanks fo sharing!  I just bought a cheap wood burning kit at Michael's for a swap project, then learned that it wouldn't (woodn't?) work on veneer - at least not the veneer I was trying, at my skill level (novice) as it pretty much vaporized it.  But damned, if I'm going to return a craft tool!  This is a great idea for practice!  If it turns out, it's useful and cool if it doesn't it's not heartbreaking.  I really like your squid, too and not just because it fits so nicely.

I hope someone who posts here knows what that hole-y thing is for, because I sure don't!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 33
saxifrage

Drop tuition, not bombs.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008 04:56:13 PM »

Argh, this makes me want a wood-burning kit! I REALLY like the squid design. Where did you get that squid wisk thingummy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantkarma
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008 05:56:25 PM »

Oh my goodness, I love the squid fork! That is soooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
crochet hooker12
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008 05:57:24 PM »

This is such a cool idea! It would make an awesome, cheap gift for that foodie everyone knows.

I think the holey thing is kind of like a modified spatula, though I've been known to be wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mowing your lawn is against nature!" Rufus' response to Rev. Sheldon's comment about homosexuality being against nature
nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008 06:36:10 PM »

That is freakin AWESOME!! Seriously. Are they utensil size, like for cooking, or smaller for eating?

But for realskies.... that is AmAZINg. I think I love you.

"This rocks"d!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
cjtarot
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008 06:53:42 PM »

Grin

Hi,

Just wanted to say WOW..what a great idea. And how fun are squid...Wouldn't salad spoons and forks be great gifts..I think you have hit on something here.

I also checked out the web site Sticks.  They do beautiful work  and are a great inspiration. 

Cj
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tasket.basket
Darn . . . It was my turn to bring the Bundt cake.

The internet is made of people.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008 07:01:17 PM »

What a great idea!  Now that you've done it, that pasta fork looks like it was made to be squidified.  And the squid is beautiful!  I can't wait to see what you do with the other pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's really only one question that can be answered . . . and we already know the answer. . . .  -- Ursula K. LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness

my blog
my wists
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008 07:21:19 PM »

Ha! This is so cool! I love squidy tentacles. It'd be funny if you use it with noodles.. Hehe.. I'm a dork Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
giantsquid
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008 09:16:15 PM »

Thanks so much for the compliments everyone!

Where did you get that squid wisk thingummy?

My dad bought me the squid whisk. I think it came from a weird ceramics place on Cayuga Lake in upstate New York that my aunt took us to called MacKenzie-Childs.  http://www.mackenzie-childs.com

Are they utensil size, like for cooking, or smaller for eating?

They are definitely cooking utensil sized

TheMistressT- The wood this is made out of also isn't ideal for wood burning (because it's really soft).  I think hard wood is probably the best.  But these were definitely cheep enough that it didn't matter too much if I ruined them.  I would test out the wood burner on cheep stuff or a part that won't show first.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Coffee Barbecue Sauce for Ribs
How to Make Pickle Stuffed Sliders
Mac and Cheese 2.0 Recipe
How to Make Cajun Style Mayonnaise
How to Make Cajun Style Shrimp Linguine
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...