A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rough times to a good birthday?  (Read 746 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Funluvnrockrchik

And Life flows on within you and without you...

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2008 01:08:19 PM »

My good friend's birthday is in about a week, but he's going through some rough stuff. His father broke his hip and has been in the hospital for a while, and probably will remain for a bit. At the same time, I've been in a bit of a rut, and he's been a doll helping me through it. I want to make him something thoughtful and fun that says "happy birthday" and "Thank you for being a good friend"

He likes Dance Dance Revolution, Indie Music, Anime, Sushi, concerts, his Wii and just hanging out with friends.

favorite colors I would guess maybe red and black, but I can sneakily find out... o.0

any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Freedom of speech is freedom to yell "Theatre!" in a crowded fire"

"I feel just like sombody else. Man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same"
bastet
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008 05:40:18 AM »

how about sweet Sushi and a dinner-invitation (either in a restaurant or at your house).

To make sweet Sushi I do use marzipan. That is an almond-paste. In Germany we knead this paste with pretty the same amount of powdered sugar. Then divide in different portion. Leave on protion white (for the rice), color one portion with cocoa (for the algae), using food-colours for two other  little pieces in green, red  and yellow (Green for the wasabi, yellow for the ginger and red for the salmon/fish.

Roll the brown almond past very flat. Fill with a roll of white almond paste and roll that into sushi-rolls. Cut into little piece (praline-size). Add a little red piece. Arrange on a plate with fake wasabi and ginger. Add chop-sticks and wrap nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Funluvnrockrchik

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008 11:19:38 AM »

Thanks for your idea! I'm actually allergic to Almond so I don't know if that would be the best for me to work with, but maybe I'll make him a sushi cake based off of it =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel just like sombody else. Man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same"
ninjanator
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008 04:45:36 PM »

you could stencil him a shirt with his favorite DDR move(s) on it Smiley it should be pretty simple since it's just arrows and it's very personal ^^ hmmm indie music...if you know his specific tastes, then maybe you could surf the net one day and explore all the indie bands out there and find some that he hasn't heard yet and pop 'em on a CD Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Funluvnrockrchik

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008 11:34:46 AM »

Sounds good! I have to get to the craft store and hit the internet for that... I'll get on it!

and in regards to the first idea;  actually attempted to make sushi-shaped sugar cookies; rolled em out and rolled em up and dyed them etc. and i forgot that cookies flatten out. so they're swirly forest cookies because the bright colors are tinted with brown.

Thanks again for your ideas! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyingsockgirl
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008 02:55:50 PM »

This one's just for a laugh, but you could make him some dancing sushi  Cheesy. I'll put away the sugar now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really want to hurt your parents and
you dont have nerve enough to be homosexual,
the least you can do is go into the arts.
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr
Funluvnrockrchik

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008 07:01:07 AM »

yay sugar! and dancing sushi. i don't know how I would make that. maybe if i could.... make a sushi puppet!~!!! like a felt sushi handpuppet or a puppet on strings so he could make it dance =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyingsockgirl
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008 05:20:54 AM »

Knit/crochet/sew some and add pipe cleaner limbs! You could make a box for them. I'm thinking about the gimli from lord of the rings toy I saw where the box said "AXE-GRINDING ACTION!"... bwaha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really want to hurt your parents and
you dont have nerve enough to be homosexual,
the least you can do is go into the arts.
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Natural Hair Dye
How to Get a Great Haircut at the Barbershop
How to Use Hot Rollers to Curl Your Hair
How to Use Hair Sticks
How to Use Bobby Pins to Make Three Cute Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...