A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Would this bother you?  (Read 1643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tangerine_Dreams
« on: February 26, 2008 12:05:40 PM »

If you were a nonquilter, and received this as a baby gift, would it bother you?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2272/2294665754_05f4d777b5_o.jpg

Pic is HUGE

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008 12:06:00 PM by Tangerine_Dreams » THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008 12:10:55 PM »

Huh

why would it be a problem?

personally, i'd be stoked!  it's adorable fabric Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008 02:42:23 PM »

When I first looked at the picture I couldn't figure out what you were asking about since it was only part of the blanket.  Then I took another look - now I assume you mean the puckering, right?

That's hard for a quilter to comment on what a non-quilter would think but I'm guessing that some people wouldn't even notice but others will.  However, as a quilter, it would bother me to give it and I would end up fixing it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008 02:44:05 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

smudgycat
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008 06:30:53 PM »

When my SIL had a baby shower, someone gave her a homemade quilt that had imperfections, but she still loved it.  I don't think most people would notice wrinkles or mismatched points, and if they did, they'd love it just the same.  Only the jerks would comment and complain about the imperfections, and if that happens, they aren't worthy of receiving your hard work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008 07:51:36 PM »

When my SIL had a baby shower, someone gave her a homemade quilt that had imperfections, but she still loved it.  I don't think most people would notice wrinkles or mismatched points, and if they did, they'd love it just the same.  Only the jerks would comment and complain about the imperfections, and if that happens, they aren't worthy of receiving your hard work.

I agree 100% with smudgycat.......... I'm new to quilting.....so I really didn't even notice it before I read Homerof2's comment..........th en I had to go back and look........... Roll Eyes

I think if it bothers you........then fix it.........if it doesn't .......then don't worry about it.  Before I became a "crafty" gal..........if I received a gift that I knew was handmade........it was all about the work, thoughtfulness, and time that person took to make the gift.  And sometimes.......wit h handmade gifts.....the imperfections add to the charm.  I think the general population is like that.  Besides......... Smiley ........there's always the chance the baby may ADORE it and give Mommy/Daddy no choice in the matter........... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
Rose1234
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008 06:39:21 AM »

It looks fine. If you want it to look a little 'flatter', go ahead and iron it. Carefully. I iron all the quilts I give as gifts before they go out the door. Makes them look really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008 07:10:09 AM »

nope . this would not bother me.

i have gotten to the point of making sure there are  a few imperfections in almost every baby quilt i make (and it seems like i have made nothing but for the past two months...march april may and june i have 7 on the way ugh)
 i started when the first one i made went unused, tucked into a drawer cause it was ...too pretty to use.  if i wanted it to remain unused i would have put a hanging sleeve on it. so now i can point out the egregious flaws (to my eye) so i hope people will USE them.

besides. i get a small glimmer of satisfaction knowing the quilt police would freak out when they saw a wobbly sash line or a point cut flat...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008 10:34:14 AM »

Thanks everyone.  it's the backing that has the crease anyway.  Wink

I've decided to go ahead and finish it, binding and all, wash it and see how I feel about it.  Worst case, I have to make another one!  Which wouldn't bother me because it was such a FUN one to make!  I swear I need some of that fabric on a bolt. 

It's the Color Wheel Quilt from "Patchwork + Quilted Gifts" by Joelle Hoverson
Here are a few other pics of the front: 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008 10:35:41 AM by Tangerine_Dreams - Reason: to add book and pattern title » THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
curlygirl75
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008 11:41:46 AM »

WOW! Who would even look at the back??? That quilt is simply amazing and beautiful. I love it so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You have to laugh at yourself. You'd cry your eyes out if you didn't."
--- Indigo Girls

Visit my craft blog!
http://fuchsiadreams.blogspot.com/

And etsy shop!
http://curlygirl75.etsy.com
jennaylala

I *heart* hegemons (and nerds)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008 11:44:31 AM »

That's an absolutely amazing quilt! I'm sure they'll love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous being: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Gorgeous in a Flash with This Spring Beauty Routine
Why You Should Pick Blush Based on Your Skin Type
Bee-Venom: The Natural Botox Alternative?
Does Fake Beauty And Airbrushing Hurt Our Psyche?
Four Fragrances That Will Wow Your Mom
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...