A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,780
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting a Sweater - Rite of Passage?  (Read 3497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calico13
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2005 03:23:00 PM »

I have a question. I am in the process of my first sweater and I noticed the comment about knitting the sleeves at the same time. How would one do this? I guess I just can't quite wrap my brain around it.

Any suggestions?

Roe

Just cast on the number of st for one sleeve, knit across, and then with a new ball of yarn, cast on the number of st for the other sleeve. Knit away! Don't forget to change balls when you come to the end of a sleeve. (I hope that made sense Wink )

Congrats on starting your first sweater!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear Supreme Commander of the English Language:
We respectfully request that there be more "h's" in the word "piranha", so that it is to be pronounced "piranhahahaha".

My Wist
Roe
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2005 03:40:16 PM »

calico13- thanks for the help. I think I can figure that out. I'll have to try it, if I can ever get passed the front part.

thanks again,
roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

useratl
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2005 03:51:49 AM »

A great Knitty guide to sweaters of all kinds:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TBP.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
johnuxb5
knitpunki

Head of John the Baptist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005 06:36:31 AM »

FINALLY SOME PICTURES!!!! -
Oh it's been a long and winding road - I'm only about 1/2 way done with this sweater I began ages ago, but I have some PROGRESS! 

Let me say this - I guess you only learn by making mistakes.  Well, I've made plenty.  First of all, I had to confess that my begining piece (the front) just wasn't right - knit up the whole thing, and then it just looked wrong, fit wrong, and had structural problems... I didn't take into account the fact that the guage can change so much as you're knitting  I ripped out all I'd done and started over from scratch.  This time, I'm knitting the project as a circular raglan self-made pattern (based on proportions - a great tip I got from an article on knitty.com)  So far so good.  I swear, though, that this wool I'm using is getting tired of being ripped out and re-knit.  I think it will all rest well once I'm done and I can block the whole thing.

Sooo - the pics of the sweater in progress.  Remember, this is my first, so be gentle with me...
Heh heh heh...
cheers, J

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 11:14:25 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

John's Knitting Blog: www.knitpunki.com
Painting: www.johnbiebel.com
Music: www.ichigatsu.com
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005 06:43:41 AM »

Ok, first, yay!  It's looking pretty good.  I got started on a couple sweaters, got frustrated and ended up making up my own first pattern as well!

Second, I wish there were an eye-brow-waggling smiley.  Closest I can get is the eye-popping one, but that isn't quite right.  I wish my husband knit so I could waggle my eyebrows at him...  *sigh*  A girl can dream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2005 06:47:12 AM »

i think that it looks faboo!  love the way you did the ribbing...nice style element.   Wink

(iirc, you are using the Elann wool?  that does so hate being ripped out...but wet blocking it is like magic)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rincaro
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005 06:50:20 AM »

I like! It looks great! I am getting ready to knit my first tank, but I'm stil in the yarn shopping phase. The color is awesome. Are you still gonna add the stripe in somewheres?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhythmgrl
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005 07:54:30 AM »

hey john -
it's lookin good, i'm especially fond of the pensive-sleeve-wearing picture. 
gauge is a trickly little beast, but at least with wool, you can block it and it really does even out a bit!
i've been working on a sweater since christmas, so the fact that you're making progress is impressive.  mine's knit in one piece, back and forth (in a small 2x2 ribbing) - it takes me about 20 minutes to finish one row, which is why i keep putting it down (i used to fancy myself a quick knitter, but this sucker is kicking my ass) 

so again, great job!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005 09:41:16 AM »

The sweater is looking good!  And I agree the pensive sleeve shot is a classic!  A whole sweater............that is great!

Silly me, I am just working on a tank top and suffering a severe case of guage rage!  I am a tight knitter which means bigger needles......which as I have discovered means large holes to stretch and see through which means that I need to be sure the tank isn't too tight BUT my gauge is hardly consistent with the odd super loose stitch here and there.  So I try to lift the sagging stitch and if unsuccesful......I frog it.  At this rate, I am hardly getting anywhere especially when I had to correct a silly mistake that cost me six inches!!!!!   SIX!!!

My yarn is 25% wool and 75% cotton...........can I stop sweating the odd loose stitch?  I think I need a first garment support group!!!!! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005 03:54:43 PM »

oh, i already thought you were cute from your avatar, but now i'm impressed with your skills too! yay for you for such great progress on your sweater! just make sure that when it is finished and you wear it, go somewhere that there are women. because guys would never compliment your sweater, but women will go, "oh what a nice sweater!" and you can say, "why thank you, i knit it myself!" and then they will gush over you and you will feel warm fuzzies. in fact, i'm having a minor warm fuzzy moment thinking about it right now because it makes me remember the first time i got a compliment on a garment i made.

sorry for the ramble! it's been a long day...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Hand Turkey
How to Make a Diorama
How to Make a Christmas Yule Log
How to Make a Cardboard Desk
How to Do Drag Queen Lips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...