A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 305,035
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Watercolors on Canvas Panels?? [pics!]  (Read 497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chasing_cars

n00b knitter. ^_^

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2008 04:51:26 PM »

Alright, so I'm currently working on a picture drawn from a reference of my boyfriend and I, and I am drawing it on one of those 5 inch by 7 inch canvas panels you can find in pretty much every art store. When I'm done, I'd like to color it with a watercolor set that I bought, but now that I think about it, the grain of the canvas might act as a channel, and let the colors bleed.

So I'm asking y'all--have you ever painted with watercolors on those canvas panels, and how did it turn out? Smiley

Anyway, so this isn't all text, here is the drawing:

(And the reference is: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/corro-con-scissors/kissyface.jpg. )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

More out of place than anything you know.
Like an opera at a disco.
When all you wanted was a rock show (tonight).
autotrophic
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008 07:46:18 PM »

if the canvas is already primed, i don't think it will absorb watercolor...

but golden (their website is goldenpaints.com or something) makes an absorbant ground for canvas that works for acrylic or watercolor. it's AWESOME but kind of expensive if you're just doing one project, but you can call the company and ask them to send you a free sample...the little jars they give out would definitely be enough to cover the canvas you're using...and if you only use a layer or two you should still be able to see your pencil lines.

sorry if that was rambly, i hope it helps some

oh and that picture looks great so far! i really like the composition
THIS ROCKS   Logged
manycrafter
watercolorscuptartist

I love to paint!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008 06:09:58 AM »

Watercolor won't work well on this surface, at least not in a "watercolor" way, where you use the water medium to float and layer color. You could probably use them more like you would use acrylics if you have tube colors, laying them on thick. Or if your watercolors are in blocks, mix them up to a creamy texture and lay on color in swatches, very thick on the canvas, but let each dry and don't let them mix together (as you are correct, they would pool up in the channels and you would get an unwanted texture).

But, really, I would suggest you use acrylics or oil on this surface, or transfer the design to one more appropriate for watercolor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't decide what to be if I grow up so I have to keep trying new things!
JillBoBill
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008 11:53:17 AM »

Please be careful! Many of these canvas panels are NOT acid free and will warp, fall apart and otherwise get ugly with age.

This may or may not concern you, but it's something you should know, I think.

Also, no watercolors won't really stick to that. It's almost definitely primed with an acrylic titanium primer that won't have an absorbent enough surface to hold the watercolors and they'll lift and flake off. Golden is a fantastic company, I have to second that suggestion. They have LOADS of information on their website and as a 'product technical adviser' in the 'fancy-pants artist' field, I have to say I LOVE getting requests for information about their products because it's so stinking easy to find the answers.

Here's the info page on the absorbent ground: http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/absorb.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author And Mom Describes How Divorce Led To Her Steamy Memoir
CoolAge Blogfest Winners at Spring Fest, IIT Kharagpur
Jerry Stahl LIVE
All Fishermen Are Liars by John Gierach
A Chat with the Best Selling Author Preeti Shenoy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...