A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,041
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cooking with V8?  (Read 839 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

devotedplanet
« on: February 25, 2008 08:52:41 PM »

I usually order my groceries online and have them delivered. The bad part is that when they're out of an item, they'll often sub with something else. So today, instead of two things of V8 and two things of fruit juice, I got 4 things of low sodium V8. No problem, I think, I love V8.

...well I don't know if my taste buds have changed or if it's because it's low sodium, but... it was really not good. I took two sips before giving up and deciding that it was just not enjoyable. I'm guessing the low sodium leaves a bland, bitter taste? Though I could swear I've had it before...

So now I have LOTS of V8 that I do not like, but I really don't want to toss it. Any ideas what to do? I'm thinking it might work as a soup base but I'm really at a loss here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008 10:02:08 PM »

Bloody Marys?  Grin

Actually, my friend uses V8 for her homemade tomato soup and it's really good.  Sadly, her recipe is a big secret.  Angry

V8 has some recipes on their site that look pretty yummy!   http://www.v8juice.com/recipes.aspx

*edit
and, the low sodium kind does taste different than the original, I've noticed that too!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008 10:03:01 PM by Kaissa » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Its Just Luc
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008 08:49:46 AM »

the changed flavor is almost definitely because of the low sodium. i would use the v8 for soup and be sure to add salt to taste. if you want to keep it simple, just chop up some carrots, celery, and onion, and dump them into the v8 with a can of beans (something white, like cannelinni or navy). add some basil, oregano, and let it cook for a bit.

that's why i love soup; eaaaasy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"wheresoever you go, go with all your heart"
devotedplanet
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008 02:15:51 PM »

I'm hanging my head in shame because I didn't think to check to see if there was a V8 site. Those recipes look super tasty too!

I'm glad to know it's not just me, I was afraid I had permanently lost my love for V8. I wouldn't have thought that the low sodium would make a huge difference in taste since I'm not really into salt, but BLECH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strawberrieshk
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008 06:14:22 PM »

umm.. I hope you're not vegetarian---if you are, i'm really sorry!!! But, I found this great chili recipe!:

1 pound of groud beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1 can of pinto beans
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 large can of V-8
Brown the ground beef along with the onions until done, drain off excess fat, then add remainder of ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with corn chips or saltine crackers, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.

oh yah, I did hear you can make really good Bloody Marys w/ V8, also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi
LeesaLove
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008 09:45:46 PM »

I love V8 ... if oyu still want to drink it, I'll bet a dash of celery salt & a sqeeze of lemon would go a long way to add flavor.

Kinda of the wrong time of year, my neighbor used to make a cold soupin the summer.
3 parts V8, 1 part salsa & 1 diced cucumber for each bottle of v8, plus lemon juice to taste.  Really good & refreshing.

I like to warm v8 & add corn (esp. if it was roasted over grill first) & mushrooms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mavourneen

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008 06:33:54 AM »

Use some as the base for a cooking liquid for a slow cooked roast.

1/2 c V-8 and 1/2 c beef broth and no salt seasonings and one pot roast = good eats
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Engaged? Looking for a bridal veil? Come visit me at Down the Aisle Custom Veils.

dtacustomveils.com
psoupdesigns
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008 05:55:05 PM »

My aunt made this soup the other night with V8, and it was so good!

Healthier Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup

This recipe is wonderful. It tastes just like Olive Garden's, but a tiny bit healthier because of the ground turkey breast vs. beef. Both ways are wonderful!

9 servings 
 1 hours 15 min prep
1     lb ground turkey breast (or hamburger)
2     small onions, diced     (1 cup)
2     large carrots, julienned     (1 cup)
3     celery stalks, chopped    (1 cup)
2     garlic cloves, minced
2    (14 1/2  oz) cans diced tomatoes
1    (15 oz) can red kidney beans (with liquid)
1   (15 oz)  great northern beans (with liquid)
1   (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1   (15 oz) can V8 vegetable juice
1     tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1     teaspoon oregano
1     teaspoon basil
1/2   teaspoon pepper
1/2   teaspoon thyme
1/2   lb package Ditali pasta (find it at Cub)

Brown the ground turkey in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Strain the fat.
Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saut for 10 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.
About 50 minutes into simmer time, cook the pasta in 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of boiling water over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or just until pasta is al dente, or slightly tough. Drain.
Add the pasta to the large pot of soup.
Simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve with sprinkled parmesan on top.
***I sometimes cook the noodles and leave out of the soup-this way, the guests can add as many as they would like and it freezes better without the noodles in it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Old Fashioned Beef Stew
Super Bowl Party Chicken Wings Recipe
Cooking With Rich Future Pizza Recipe
Super Bowl Party Food - Part 2 of 2
Super Bowl Party Food - Part 1 of 2
Latest Blog Articles
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!
Which Came First?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...