A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 306,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mark As Read - bookmark?  (Read 1182 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

QueenofSwords

marty marty bo barty, bo-nana fana fo...uh oh....

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2005 06:08:50 PM »

I've only been a Craftrix since October, and I love it, but even in the short time I've been around I've seen such huge growth in the content.  My frustration is that I can't go through everything fast enough anymore!  If I can't log in at least once a day and spend time sorting through new forum messages, it quickly gets too big to ever catch up.  Yet there's no way for me to weed out what I've gone through and set a bookmark so that I can start where I left off.  All I can do is mark-as-read everything and start over, and I just know I'm missing good things.

Is there some way I'm missing to "mark as read" certain threads and leave others with the unread status, so that they come up again later when I have time to read again?  When I've used the button, it zaps everything currently marked as unread!  Even something simpler, such as being able to use the MAR button to just zap the page of threads I'm currently reading would be extremely useful.

Thanks, wonderful craft goddesses!

Marty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yo, ye pharaohs! Let us walk through this barren desert, in search of truth, and some pointy boots, and maybe a few snack crackers.
leah
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005 10:13:18 AM »

Hi!  There is a button that says "Mark As Read" on just about every page.  So you can use it for whatever page you are looking at to mark all of those as "read."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
ilovepaper
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005 11:29:08 AM »

I'm afraid to use the 'mark as read' button, the times I did use it it cleared all 50 pages of unread messages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005 11:49:13 AM »

If you use Mark As Read after clicking "Recent Unread Posts", it will mark all pages as "read".  If you go into a topic, you can mark that one topic as read and it will only affect that folder.  Like, if you entered the folder "MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS" you could mark it as read and it would not affect the posts in, say, "KNITTING".

Melinda
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005 11:53:35 AM by xmelinda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
ilovepaper
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005 01:11:34 PM »

I usually do go to the folders and mark the ones that aren't my thing; stenciling, cooking and health&beauty. This kinda weeds out my pages of unread posts a bit. I wish that there was something you could just check near the titles and mark them individually, you know like the delete box on email. But really, this isn't a complaint, just a wish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QueenofSwords

marty marty bo barty, bo-nana fana fo...uh oh....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005 01:59:14 PM »

Yeah, I guess I could try to re-orient my reading habits to read separate boards, but it takes a long time, and I have a lot of interests.  It seems to me I miss a lot when I don't use "All Unread Posts", because you never know when something will catch your eye because of the theme or something, instead of the medium.  I've seen lots of projects that have inspired me to think more about media I don't use a lot, just because I saw a great idea in All Unread.  If I were only concentrating on the boards of the things I already do, I'd miss that inspiration, and the diversity is one of the things I love here.

I wouldn't even need to have a check mark by each post to mark it read, but being able to mark whole pages (of the All Unread Posts view) would be great.  It's especially bad if I have a busy day or two and can't get back to the board; as busy as the forum is these days, dozens of pages of threads can come up in that time.  If I could mark pages as I go, I could gradually catch up as I have a few minutes here and there.  The way it is now, I usually have to sadly torpedo tons of stuff that I always fear is great.  Undecided

As ilovepaper said, not a complaint, just a wish.   Roll Eyes

Marty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yo, ye pharaohs! Let us walk through this barren desert, in search of truth, and some pointy boots, and maybe a few snack crackers.
patriautism
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005 08:58:35 AM »

I don't mind weeding through all the posts. My big wish is that we had a save button. There are some projects I saw a while ago that I really loved and I can't find them now. They probably had a title like "Hey, check this out." I wish we had a favorite projects file or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...