A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to take it to the next level with the boyfriend - any ideas?  (Read 1773 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

instantkarma
« on: February 25, 2008 02:48:20 PM »

So, it'll be my boyfriend and my's two-year anniversary in May. It feels like it's been a lot longer than that, though - we've survived introducing each other to our friends and family, enduring multiple parental groundings, changing to new jobs (mine) and sticking with old jobs (his), dealing with my psychopathic foster parents, unstable younger brother and his unstable aunt, going to each others' graduations, moving me into his house (bless his parents for that one), road-tripping off to meet his extended family, working out finances for college, sending me off to college and sending his admission letter for college in, and so many other things.

We've become very close to each other, to the point that his parents are basically expecting (no - kind of DEPENDING on) us to get married at some point, preferably after college for the two of us...and, even though it really hasn't been super long, I like the idea.

We're both nerdy, both love anime and video games, both are roughly the same height, weight and look somewhat alike, both have glasses, both speak some German, both love pretty much the same types of music, both love to eat (haha), hang out with our friends and just be together. I love that.

So, can anyone think of a gift that I could give him that would say something along the lines of that I really like the idea of marrying him and want our relationship to continue on with the idea of marriage in mind? I guess it would kind of be like a promise ring-type of thing, only not a ring (he doesn't wear jewelry at all).

I thought about this last night as I was going to sleep, and couldn't come up with any ideas. Can you guys help me out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
sweetiepickles

mmmm crunchy crispy pickles

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008 05:32:34 PM »

hmmm....maybe you could make him a scrapbook of the two of you together?

What are your favorite anime series? We watch a bunch of anime, too...maybe something anime themed.
Maybe make him some fansubs of some new ones?

I'm kinda traditional, so I'd probably say don't come on tooooo strong. As long as you two have talked about your futures together, and you are both on the same page, it will happen  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantkarma
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008 05:35:16 PM »

I could take up a large part of this forum by listing my favorite anime. Wink
I was thinking of downloading him a few series (serieses? serii?) and giving them to him for our anniversary, but I'm not sure about that...

Thanks for the words about being on the same page - I definitely agree, but at the same time I'm into symbolism (and crafting!) and really wanted to get him something to symbolize my thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BoxOfRocks
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008 07:11:47 PM »

So, can anyone think of a gift that I could give him that would say something along the lines of that I really like the idea of marrying him and want our relationship to continue on with the idea of marriage in mind? I guess it would kind of be like a promise ring-type of thing, only not a ring (he doesn't wear jewelry at all).

Thanks for the words about being on the same page - I definitely agree, but at the same time I'm into symbolism (and crafting!) and really wanted to get him something to symbolize my thoughts.

OP, from your posts, it is not clear that you have spoken seriously and candidly with your boyfriend about getting married and all related issues (children, careers, where you will live, etc.).  Given that and your ages (I'm guessing you're quite young due to the milestones you cited), I suggest talking before any giving any gift.

his parents are basically expecting (no - kind of DEPENDING on) us to get married at some point

Huh?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantkarma
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008 07:27:07 PM »

Well, we've talked about pretty much all of that (children, careers, housing, finances, etc.) already and very candidly, and we both agree that we're on the same page...so I guess we're a little bit more mature than some couples our age.

The part about his parents "depending" on us getting married was kind of a joke - they just think that we're pretty much perfect for each other and would probably be a little disappointed if we didn't get married (they signed my Christmas card as "your future in-laws") . I guess you'd have to know them and us to get what I mean.

I appreciate your concern, but we've seen all types of marriages fall apart around us and we don't plan on getting married until we're both seriously ready (both individually and as a couple). Smiley

Anyway, I didn't come in here for relationship advice, I came in looking for a clever way to say what I want to say...it's a toughie; maybe I'll have to go sit in the corner and dwell on it some more.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008 07:27:46 PM by instantkarma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyingsockgirl
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008 03:04:59 PM »

What type of things does he wear or carry with him always?
When he has some spare cash what does he usually buy?

Try to think of something he REALLY likes and maybe... make a quirky version of it or something Smiley.

and may I recommend baking some promise apple strudel to serve with whatever you make  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really want to hurt your parents and
you dont have nerve enough to be homosexual,
the least you can do is go into the arts.
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr
instantkarma
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008 03:41:28 PM »

Sounds like a good idea. Wink I had a few ideas last night (in the shower...does anyone else always have their revelations in the shower?) so I shall work on them. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marlie2
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008 08:15:43 AM »

does anyone else always have their revelations in the shower?)

YES.

(they signed my Christmas card as "your future in-laws")

And also, AWW.

A promise ring minus the jewelry... I see that you can sew, do you quilt at all? A photo quilt of the two of you would be really sweet. It seems like the type of thing that includes all of the labor of love, plus the celebration of your past that suggests a commitment for what's to come.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantkarma
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008 11:37:42 AM »

I don't quilt, but I've always wanted to learn! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

direadieu
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008 03:30:22 PM »

Wow!! This is a really difficult one! I was trying to think what I would do if I was in your situation..but it's hard. If it was me I would probably take the very boring option of writing some kind of letter saying that I like the idea of marriage etc...but I dont know, thats not particularly nice. Maybe you could make something that would be useful for once you get married?  Huh I dont really know what that could be though lol. The good thing is that it would be saying "Here's something to use WHEN and IF we get married" so it's not going to scare him or anything.

I hope you think of something though and maybe I helped a bit..though I doubt it  Cheesy Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do A Napalm Run
How Disasters Are Made in Hollywood
How to Create Dramatic Coloring Effects in Photoshop
Photoshop Video Tutorial: Chroma Keying
How to Scrapbook with Corel Painter Essentials 4
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...