A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hangers and tons of other junk  (Read 1237 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dead_Angel
« on: January 18, 2005 05:32:11 PM »

OK I'm cleaning out my room and so I have tons of *junk* that I need to do something with or get rid of. I thought I'd try this before anything else though.
-HUNDREDS of hangers (only like 10 are being used...)
-30+ tennis balls
-10+ big round tins with plastic tops
-CDs-200+ (any ideas how to store them-they have the cds in them)
-1000+ crayons
-stuffed animals
-hundreds of different fabrics. all different shapes, sizes, colors and textures
-Calistoga water bottles (blue cone kinda shaped)
-70+ dried roses (in full shape not pressed)
-a huge shattered mirror door
-a black leather taxi hat
-a curly red wig
-hella catalogs and magazines
-plastic soda bottle caps
-tons of pens and pencils of all shapes, sizes and colors

Thats all I got now, more as my room starts coming back in. Thanx so much!

OK I've heard all the regular ideas (mobiles with the tennis balls, curtains with the water bottles and purses with the stuffed animals. etc) but I want some very orginal and creative ideas. something simple (or complex) that requires some thought. something completly out of the box. Heh thanx so much everyone. All ideas are welcome (beleive me) but just stressed on the above. Cheesy thanx luv ya!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ILoveBunnies

My bunny is so cute. yep, you're jealous.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005 08:35:36 PM »

Okay... this probably won't be "out of the box" or anything... but I felt like putting my 2 cents in anyway.

30+ tennis balls

- These are kinda cute... could make a good gifts if you know any kids:
http://www.mycraftbook.com/craftidea.asp?craftID=123
http://lighthouseseven.com/cheerleading/crafts31.html

- There are tons of ways you could turn these into dog toys. Cutting holes and tying ropes through them, decorating them with felt so they look like things (say, a cat)... cutting them open and putting a treat inside... etc etc etc.

- This might sound stupid... but you could make a change purse type thing.
Do you remember those plastic change purses that you squeeze open? Like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7129063195&category=38
If you make a slit in the tennis ball... it would be almost exactly like that. Then you could decorate it however you want. You could add some sort of chain or ribbon as a handle. Or you could even leave it plain (especially if you actually play tennis)

- I remember reading about someone who cut a tennis ball in half, glued one half on the inside of their car window and one half on the outside. Then they used a glass cutter to cut lines around the ball so it had a shattered appearance... you know, so it looks like someone threw the ball into the window.

stuffed animals
- I'm sure this is obvious, but slippers.

hundreds of different fabrics
- There are a billion things... ahem, SEW!

70+ dried roses (in full shape not pressed)
- did you see the wax-dipped rose petals on this forum?

a huge shattered mirror door
- I have made mirrors with these before. It looks cool if you have a broken piece, and you seperate the breaks so that there is just a few gaps. And then you can mount in on something (wood, cardboard, metal) or frame it. You can decorate it however you want (I did a collage, but you can do anything. I know someone who would do it with leather or burlap and and feathers and some cool painting designs so it looked very American-Indian style.) It also looks cool to cover just the edges of the mirror in silver or gold paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dead_Angel
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005 07:04:10 PM »

Haha! I love the little tennis ball dude. I might make a couple of those for friends. Hehe thanx!
And actually the slipper idea is great!! I never would have thought of that thanx so much! I'm not sure how exactly I would go about doing that...But it's a great idea and I think I'm going to try! Hehe Thanx again! Your a life-savor!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005 09:36:37 PM »

i can get lots of hangers too.. i work at a cleaners place.....that would be geat if there was a use for them.. for the wig though maybe you can cut it up and hang it off of something.. i thing that would be hilarious
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"reality leaves alot to the imagination"

I dig things and people
KilDaraSidhe
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

I believe!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005 01:07:50 AM »

If they are metal hangers then you can reshape the wire and use yarn or plastic on them to make a wreath of some sort. if They are plastic, I don't have many suggestions here. At one time I hat a whole mess of hair clips and I kept using them so I used yard to make a braid on a hanger and clipped them to that. The water bottles would be good for growing plants in. I saw some one use plastic soda bottle caps as part of an advant calander and they hid treats in them in the bottle cap section. For the fabrics there is several things I do with those, cut them into strips and crochet something, cut them into strips and braid them together untill I have a long cord and then start sewing in a circle pattern to get a rug, or if it is really pretty fabric I cut circles in it and make something called yo-yo's out of the fabric and when I have a whole mess make something out of the yo-yos. Crayons I didn't want would get thrown in my melted wax pile to be remelted as candles. 10 big tins with plastic tops, well decorate them and store your pens in them or if they are big enough to hold your cds then paint them and nail em to the wall and put your cds in them or something else you want to store or use molding clay and go over them, the baking kind, or decupage and put gifts in there. There is a section on using Tin cans, glass bottles and plastic containers on here that has a slew of ideas for em.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying over the future.
useratl
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005 09:19:30 PM »

You have over one thousand[/font] crayons?HuhHuhHuh??

Get in your phone book and donate those to some nursery school, or see if there's a homeschool or day care that may want them!

Likewise with the stuffed animals (the ones you're not too attached to.) There are probably any number of child protective/rescue efforts that could make use of clean, loved stuffed animals.

There maybe a local quilting org, or senior citizens place that would like the fabric, or even like above, something for kids just learning.

As for the pens/pencils, also a great donation when school time comes up and the less fortunate kids have school supply collections . . .

As for your roses, MakeYourOwnPotpourr i!
(I've begun doing this with leftover bridal flowers and such.  I know I can't dry them and keep them right that way, and this way, I still can love them.)

http://www.webguru.com/make-potpourri.htm

http://www.hair-news.com/rose-potpourri.html

(I think I'm jealous I don't live anywhere near you!)

~ cheers!
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mary Bell
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005 02:45:15 AM »

Clothes hangers - I have a ton of plastic ones and am wondering if there is a way to use them as handles for a cute purse. Of course that will only use up one or possibly two hangers but...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lmr624
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005 03:58:25 PM »

I'd give a lot of that stuff to women's shelters, half-way houses/recovery houses, domestic violence shelters... you could put ten hangers together and masking tape the handles so they won't fly all over.  The crayons could go in shoe boxes or whatever you have (tins, big jars, old tupperware) for the kids at these places to use.  I don't think we're supposed to dontate stuffed animals to anywhere, however, if they are not new (hygiene concerns).  I'd probably cut off heads/tails/arms/legs to attach to something down the line (a purse maybe, a pillow or something) then toss the rest, keeping the stuffing for filler unless it is gross.  Good luck!  You'll be glad to have a lot more space in your house/apt/room/garage, I'll bet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
RAW File Basics
The Time of Day in Digital Photography
Digital Zoom Tips
Digital Camera Exposure Basics
Outdoor Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...