A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 306,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What is craft foam made of?  (Read 796 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2008 11:50:41 AM »

I'm making a trucker hat, and I need to know what craft foam is made of. I bought sheets of Nicole Crafts brand foam, but it doesn't say on the tag what the foam is made from, and neither does their website.

I want to use an iron-transfer on the crown (the part that's foam) so I need to know what iron setting will work and what won't. Any help is appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville still rocks

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008 11:43:00 PM »

I wouldn't use any method of decoration that required any heat at all, it will probably melt the craft foam. Probably all you can do is paint it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008 12:13:08 AM »

i second the no heat advice, i actually HAVE melted craft foam with a heat gun, well it didnt quite get to *melted* but it did distort and shrink (and smell)

maybe you can find a rub-on that suits your needs? they work well...also i would try ironing on to a piece of fabric, and attaching that with a little foam glue and some grommets
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Foisty
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008 03:59:42 PM »

hmm try some sort of glue-foam is not friendly with heat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PUFFYsanjo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008 08:39:42 AM »

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Originally, I was going to iron the image onto scrab fabric and sew it on before thinking about ironing it directly on the crown.

Even putting a piece of fabric like a towel in between the foam and iron and using a low but effective setting wouldn't help?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008 02:23:19 PM »

i dont think that any setting that would transfer the image would be low enough, but if your heart is set on this (i totally know that feeling) i would try it on some scrap foam, and a see how long it takes (and how much heat you need) to transfer....usually transfer images need to be on cotton or polyester though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008 07:23:31 AM »

Foam front/ trucker type hats aren't made with crafty type foam though :/

Headliner material would actually be closer (and it's more ironable). It's a very thin layer of the same kind of foam in chair cushions, topped with a jersey knit. Most hats the foam is sandwiched between two layers of knit, so you don't see the foam at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008 07:53:44 AM »

It's made of urethane rubber or urethane foam. It can be cut with a "hot foam knife" and some types are sensitive to solvents like nailpolish remover, meaning, that will melt them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PUFFYsanjo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008 09:41:33 AM »

Foam front/ trucker type hats aren't made with crafty type foam though :/

Headliner material would actually be closer (and it's more ironable). It's a very thin layer of the same kind of foam in chair cushions, topped with a jersey knit. Most hats the foam is sandwiched between two layers of knit, so you don't see the foam at all.

Ha, oh well, I already bought a bit of craft foam, and I'm already half done with my first hat. Grin Maybe I could try that method some other time, thank you! It would be easier to transfer the image onto just the knit then apply it to the foam. I'll try it sometime down the road.

i dont think that any setting that would transfer the image would be low enough, but if your heart is set on this (i totally know that feeling) i would try it on some scrap foam, and a see how long it takes (and how much heat you need) to transfer....usually transfer images need to be on cotton or polyester though

Yes, this was what I was thinking about when I tried  to fall asleep last night (I think about my projects to help me sleep, lame, I know! Tongue). Then I could just experiment with the different heat settings.

I forgot to mention, I actually used an iron on the foam weeks prior to posting this question. I'd pinned the crown pattern of the hat to the foam to cut it, and when I took the pins out, they left holes, so I used an iron to get the holes out.

I believe the setting was either cotton or polyester because those were the materials I'd used the iron on and the iron was still on, or cooling. I managed to get the holes out of the foam, so I suppose it did melt a bit, but it wasn't very drastic.

Well, I'll just play around and experiment. Thank you for all your help! I can see myself using all of these tips and ideas. Thank you all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table
Tute Tuesday: Mrs. Weasley Inspired Burrow Afghan
Creative Craft Supplies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...