A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,014
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kisa Project Help  (Read 454 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Butterfly Grl
My inner child is a mean little bastard.

That which does not kill me, had better run fast.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2008 10:20:10 AM »

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could help me, please.

First the story:  (Its quite long, sorry) T.T
Almost 2 years ago my sister had a little girl, I was dubbed godmother - yay! - when the little one was +- 3 months old she was christened...now as godmother I'm meant to get the nicest/biggest/ (daddy said most expensive! o.O ) gift to celebrate this occasion. So the crafter in me decided that I won't go buy anything..buying stuff is for chumps..  Grin I'll make something instead, so I can say that it came from the heart and all. I did do some buying (chumpette), I bought this beautiful cross stitch kit --bad move -- I had never cross-stitched before in my life, and this was a fairly big project with quite a bit of detail, but I've always been a really ambitious person, and even though my mother (who always seems to know better) kept telling me that the project was too big, and I'll never get it done in time, I said "Lets get it...don't worry ma, I'll get it done..."...
Non the less, the little one is going to be 2 this year, and she still hasn't gotten a christening gift from me. *naughty, naughty, naughty* -  I'm a bad aunt.

Anyway, I think I now know why I didn't finish it -- oh, it had nothing to do with the fact that I'm really really lazy, and my eyes were too big for my crafting abilities  Grin  -- It was because I hadn't yet found the right image, now that I know a little more about her personality and such I think I've found the image that would suit her perfectly.
I want to make her a cross stitch of Kisa from Fruits Basket, even though her sign is different. I always thought that Kisa was sooo adorable.
And here is where I need help, I want to use this image

I did put it to a graph using the KnitPro site - this is the result

But when I look at the image it not only looks really unclear to me, looks like it will come out rather big, and that I will need more than 5 different thread colours.And I don't think it will come out nicely.

And thats why I wanted to ask all of you for some advice as to what I should do. I don't have any other programs to use, and I would like to keep it to a 3 thread colour change max. if possible, because I don't have that many colours and I don't want to have to go and buy a ton more just for this project - especially when I don't know how big its going to end up being.

Could anyone help, either with the issues or any advice - at all.

Thank you all soooo much already,
Butterfly Grl

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008 03:38:31 PM by Butterfly Grl - Reason: I took advice and tried to clear some of the noise on the image. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Birdy, birdy in the sky, Why'd you do that in my eye
Looks like sugar, tastes like sap
Oh my God...its birdy crap!
;-p    :-D
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008 02:07:05 PM »

Hello!

I ran your pictures through Jennifer's free generator, which is the program I like to use and it came up with almost fifty colors.

Your best bet is to take that drawing and clean up the scan of it - you've got dozens of different grays in there, and some ash browns and greens. If you eliminated the noise on the drawing, you'd lose a lot of different colors right there, and if you clean the lines into just black, you'll eliminate some more.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
AGFH
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008 08:46:37 PM »

Go to this site:

http://www.darklilac.com/upload.jsp

Upload your picture and choose a maximum of 3 colors (on the second page)

It will give you a pdf file of the chart. I already ran it through and it gives you a chart with TWO colors.

You will need to use this picture as it is the correct size for uploading:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
Butterfly Grl
My inner child is a mean little bastard.

That which does not kill me, had better run fast.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008 04:19:53 AM »

Thank you both so so much for all the help.
First I tried to clean it up as much as possible, got it down to about 18 colours!
Then I used that darklilac site, and I got it to print in 2 colours - black and the background colour white. Its perfect!

Again, thank you both sooooo much, once I've finished it I'll post it in the completed section but I can't guarantee thats its going to be any time within the next month, but here's hoping! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Birdy, birdy in the sky, Why'd you do that in my eye
Looks like sugar, tastes like sap
Oh my God...its birdy crap!
;-p    :-D
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Mask and Brush Tool in Photoshop
How to Put a Zoom blur on the background of a photo
How to Remove Person from the background of a photo
How to Change the Color of Background Mat
How to Achieve vibrant photos.
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...