A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for representing hunger stats without killing the environment?  (Read 1369 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maltiriel

I touch the fire and it freezes me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 25, 2008 10:09:13 AM »

I'm in charge of the 30 Hour Famine for my church, and I'm trying to think of a good, relatively environmentally-friendly way to create some sort of visual representation of hunger stats so people can see the scope of the problem and hopefully be inspired to give.  The most common stat I've seen ideas for representing is the 29,000 children who die every day from preventable diseases and malnutrition (here's a list of hunger stats/facts), but most of the ideas I've seen are really not very nice for the environment.  Stuff like a paper chain with 29,000 links or 29,000 plastic forks stuck in sheets of styrofoam and made into a walk way are visually striking, but they're awfully wasteful and not even particularly sturdy, so I don't think you could even really reuse them very well.  The only idea I've come across so far that would be reusable would be putting 29,000 fingerprints in paint on sheets, which is cool, but I'd love to find some more ideas, especially ones that could be a bit more artistic...

Anyway, I've got 2 months until our Famine date, so I've got time to do something fairly elaborate.  I can knit, crochet, and sew, and I wouldn't mind learning something new for this.  I'm not set on using the 29k/day stat either, it's just the one I've seen used the most, so I've been thinking about it the most.  I'd really appreciate some ideas as to what I could make. 

Also for the quilters and beaders out there, would I be completely insane to try and make something out of 29,000 pieces of fabric or beads?  Those ideas came to mind right away but I suspect they'd be rather infeasible... Wink

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There IS a choice: Vote Libertarian!
Wer mit Ungeheuern kmpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pinkilicious

The handmakers shall inherit the earth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008 04:37:56 PM »

One of my favorite targets for reuse is plastic bags, you could create bows or cut them into a long strip and crochet something small out of them. If your newspapers come in different color bags you could use different colors to show what number of people come from different parts of the world or any other stats you have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maltiriel

I touch the fire and it freezes me

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008 10:19:09 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions!  The different colors idea is especially interesting...  I wonder if I could somehow incorporate a world map or something...  *ponders*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There IS a choice: Vote Libertarian!
Wer mit Ungeheuern kmpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Doctor Explosive-doom
( ( M O X I E F A C E ) )

Mama Mia!! Mama Mia!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008 03:06:03 PM »

I love the 30 hour famine. Hurrah to the juice breaks. Grin

I can't quite remember, but I think we did a visual representation of how many people  die in a minute from hunger. They blew out candles every few seconds or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Simply Fabulous.
adriayna
Transitory Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008 07:06:58 AM »

You could replace forks with sticks stuck in the ground; something gathered locally and then could be later used to fuel a bonfire Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rbeforee
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008 12:18:22 AM »

Things that come to mind (although not to full fruition) are grains of rice or spaghetti (is that too cliche?) or some sort of scale representation of what 29,000 people looks like... maybe in sports stadiums or a map showing how large a part of your town would be 29,000 people? I doubt many of us have a clue how many that is in real people. (yeah, um, that would be 29,000 people Wink but seriously I mean, if you asked me how many people were in a restaurant I probably couldn't tell you if it was 50 or 100 if I was not taking a head count)

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Optimization hinders evolution.
Just Plain Goose
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008 07:41:16 AM »

What about using food-related trash (empty milk cartons, cans, soda bottles, etc.) somehow (probably not good if you literally want 29,000 of something, though...would take up way too much space...). 

Reusing trash is pretty eco friendly, it would fit the general theme, but also it seemed like it might help highlight just how much we have here.  Using what we have to represent what others how much others don't have...could be humbling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rbeforee
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008 08:00:06 AM »

What about using food-related trash (empty milk cartons, cans, soda bottles, etc.) somehow (probably not good if you literally want 29,000 of something, though...would take up way too much space...). 

Reusing trash is pretty eco friendly, it would fit the general theme, but also it seemed like it might help highlight just how much we have here.  Using what we have to represent what others how much others don't have...could be humbling.

Hey I like this suggestion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Optimization hinders evolution.
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008 08:04:00 AM »

Could you use something like cans or packets of food that could then be donated to a food pantry? Possibly something small like boxes of raisins or cans of tuna, jello/pudding, or packets of soup?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Muria
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008 09:19:55 AM »

I just had a mental image of 29,000 packets of ketchup.  Shocked

My son had a book once that had a page on hunger (it had a single page on a variety of subjects:  http://www.klutz.com/catalog/product/3100 ).  It had a spinner, and a pie graph.  If your spinner landed in a space representing 11% of the graph, you represented the average American (who gets enough to eat). If you were in the other 89% of the graph, there was a bag of maybe 3/4 cup uncooked rice that represented your entire day of food. Having a spinner like that could be an interesting exercise (people who land in the 11% could sit in the kitchen and eat what they want during the 30 hour famine if they choose, and everyone else has to be hungry in the gym?).

You could also use the 1/10 children don't make it to their 5th birthday, and have the kids count off (if you have a significant number of children participating anyway).  You could even do various activities around that idea: Count off every 10th person, and put them to one side as people who die before 5, and use other facts to taper down the population, so that you end up with a significant number of the people in the room being removed as a statistic, with a small number of people left as the people unaffected by world hunger. 

It seems to me that using the people present would be an environmentally friendly way to display your figures. And it really hits home if you're one of the people removed from the "healthy" circle to go sit with the "died from malaria" crowd ( I just had a mental image from Beetlejuice.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chili With Chilies
April Fools Steak Recipe
Chicken Chorizo Meatloaf Recipe
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
How to Make Chicken With Mushrooms
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...