A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Scarves, What's a fair price?  (Read 1012 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ariannrhod
« on: February 25, 2008 09:11:55 AM »

With the sixth Harry Potter film set to be released in the US sometime in September of this year, I'm of a mind to try and sell some of the house scarves I've gotten so good at making as gifts for my friends and family. But I have no idea what is a fair price to ask for them. Each scarf is  about six and a half feet long, and takes me roughly three days to make. Materials for each scarf come to $4.43.
And they look like this

Ravenclaw

and Slytherin
Any suggestions on what anyone thinks is a fair price would be immensly helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008 04:47:40 PM »

If one took me 3 days to make I'd have no choice but to charge $300 per scarf. What's a "fair" price if it's not fair to you, too? I would find a less time-consuming way to make the scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ariannrhod
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008 05:30:56 PM »

it takes me three days because of my intense ADD, otherwise it would probably only take me less then one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiakelA
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008 08:56:21 AM »

a common price for crafters that I've seen is to take the price of the materials and multiply by 3. So for you I'd say $15-20 a scarf. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 07:52:27 AM »

Doesn't matter if it takes you 3 days because it's physically or mentally hard. If you spend 3 days on something and only have $20 to show for it, you'll soon wonder why you even bother. Also, you can add to that the amount of marketing you have to do just to make the initial sale. You can't just slap one on a website and hope for a sale. You also have to do the work of getting the sale.

Only you can decide if it's worth it or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008 03:00:12 AM »

i have yet to attempt to sell ANYTHING i make by hand, so this is just how i see it

i would price it fairly for what i would honestly pay for that item. i craft because the actual process is rewarding, i will sell because i like to see if other people dig what i create..

i intend on opening a store called AJM fashions and accessories...some of the things i make take me a couple days, others take a couple hours, but no one is going to buy anything if i charge by the hour...lol...

i would pay 20 dollars for a hand knit scarf personally...depend ing on how rich the colors are, and how appealing it looks...obviously the detail adds to that, if it has intarsia i would pay upwards of 30, but no more...regardless of how long it took the person so make, *i* am still getting a scarf....

IMHO if you dont like making things enough to *not* get paid by the hour (or for your time even) dont make them....why should a consumer pay more for an item because it took you longer than the next guy...obviously you have to add in the fact that you DID make it by hand, and therefore it took effort and thought and is likely pretty unique (even if you make 10, they are all distinct in some way, and its a far cry from commercial)...but being aggressive in the pricing because it took more of your time wont necessarily get you sales...especially if its something being sold by someone else (if you have an original item, and you make it alone or of very few competitors, by all means, charge whatever you want..maybe people will buy it anyway)

im just saying, sell to your market, not in your head...

the scarves are rather adorable (if i couldnt make it myself, i would buy it in a heartbeat, i really love the look, and i will need one for the new movie...hell, if i dont get any free time, i will end up buying one anyway!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy, Healthy Lettuce Wrap Recipe
How to Make Diane Ladd’s Southern Japanese Tofu Dish
Give Shrimp Pad Thai a Soba Noodle Twist the Haylie Duff Way
How to Make Sunny Anderson’s Quick Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Here Is a Fantastic Green Bean Tempura Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...