A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
809 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starsky Jr.  (Read 1255 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gaucamolegreetings
« on: February 24, 2008 08:03:47 PM »

I just finished knitting a Starsky Jr for my daughter.  Well, I actually finished the knitting weeks ago, I just seamed the last sleeve today and sewed on the buttons.  My daughter picked out the pretty butterfly buttons and I think they match her well.  It was fun shopping for them with her.

But back to the sweater.  I used recycled wool from a thrift store sweater.  I love the color of pink/white variation and it seemed to block well.  Speaking of blocking, I blocked the pieces, but not the whole thing together, so the rib trim/collar isn't blocked and the shoulders are pointy.  I'll do that eventually.  Probably the first time she gets it dirty and it needs washed.  Probably tomorrow.

It was fun to knit.  The banana tree pattern took forever, all those little 1x1 cables, all the different combos of knit and purl, on every row both front and back!  But it was fun to see it develop, and it was mercifully child-sized!  My daughter wore it to pick out the buttons today and said it was itchy on her back of her neck.   Tongue  But she does have some cute shirts with hoods that she could wear it with and not itch her.  As it is, I'm nervous to let her wear it to school because she looses EVERYTHING.  I'm going to try to put a tag in with a loop for hooks.  I think I'll let her wear it sparingly the rest of this season, and then let it loose next year.  She's a pip-squeak and will still be able to wear it, I'm sure.  

But on to the pictures!

Close-up of front, collar, and button.  Oops, remember, most of this hasn't been blocked.  You can so tell.  I'm such a fan of blocking now.  I pinned the pieces to the bare mattress on the top bunk in my daughter's room and took down the ladder so no one could get up there while it dried.   Cheesy

The back.  Three, count them, three full panels of the banana tree pattern.  Did I mention cables on front and back?

Close-up of the banana tree pattern.  I ended up really liking it.  I had never done anything quite like it before.

And one more just cuz my daughter is all cute like, "are you done yet, mom?"  You can really see the pointy shoulder effect in this one.

Well, that's it!  If you made it through all this, congrats.  I searched and hadn't seen anyone else do one of these, so I tried to be thorough.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009 09:49:13 PM by gaucamolegreetings » THIS ROCKS   Logged
string theory
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008 08:11:51 PM »

Very cute! I admire your patience!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
devotedplanet
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008 08:37:02 PM »

That is SO cute. You're brave - I haven't found the guts to knit something for my daughter yet because she is soooo hard on her clothes. I know I'd be terrified to ever let her wear it. Maybe in a few years. =/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frosted
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008 10:01:24 PM »

She looks so cute in it! And you can tell her she did a wonderful job with picking the buttons, they look lovely. Now I am thinking that maybe my oldest daughter will get one of these....someday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello vera

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008 03:24:48 AM »

Your gorgeous little daughter looks so proud in her new cardigan. The choice of buttons were perfect. Well done to the pair of your!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008 08:39:10 AM »

What a charmer! the "pointy" shoulders gives it a '40s vibe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
knit_north
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008 10:17:22 AM »

wow those cables are so lovely - well proportioned to the sweater
love the retro feel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goodnorevil

First name: Neither

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008 12:10:31 PM »

I think I should go convince my mom that if she really loved me she'd make me a sweater like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Science is crafty too.

http://www.wists.com/goodnorevil
Roojaz
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008 12:38:51 PM »

Thats beautiful I love the pattern and the color! She looks adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many projects so little time...pesky laundry!!
sunny 74
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008 12:44:59 PM »

It turned out perfect. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I have found that if you love life, life will love you back."

- Arthur Rubinstein
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coolhaus Ice Cream’s Dirty Mint Chip Ice Cream Recipe
How to Make French Rose-Raspberry Macarons
Easy One-Pot Lemon Curd Recipe
Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Croissant Recipe
Decadent German Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...