A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,011
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: circular looms  (Read 2680 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftymichelle
« on: February 02, 2004 01:09:02 PM »

Huh ???Hi i`m new here could anyone give me any tips on how to make a circular loom?
it`s like a french knitting doll but on a much bigger scale so you can knit socks and hats and stuff,but there really expensive to buy so i was hoping i could make my own.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottedknickers
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004 03:23:24 PM »

I'm not sure that this is helpful, but it might give you another direction to search on the internet.

I started my kids on "french knitting" (also called "corking") and on one of the websites, it talked about making a spindle with an old wooden spool (the directions must have been made a long time ago) and some finishing nails.  As an aside, they talked about using a sturdy hoop (I just assumed embroidery) for a larger loom, but there were no details.  I know that's not very helpful, but maybe it'll give you some more ideas.

If you try this and it works...I'd love to hear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymichelle
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004 06:06:25 AM »

thank you that is really helpful i`d not thought of that idea with the embroidery hoops i think that would work really well.
I`ll let you know after i`ve tried it wether it works or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottedknickers
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004 07:47:22 PM »

Amazingly, while on a recent trip to the beach I found a circular loom that looked exactly like what you wanted to find.  My sister who is completely a non-knitter (but actually quite crafty when she wants to be) made 3 scarves over two days of easygoing work.  (They are designed for hats, but she didn't want a hat.)  The looms are great because they are flexible and the little steel pick was very very easy on her fingers.  The only problem I saw was that because the only stitch it can do is stockinette, the sides curl with most yarns.  She mixed yarns using a cotton poly with an eyelash and this didn't curl at all.  I have no explanation for that one.  She originally purchased a medium size loom, but went back and got the smaller loom, which she said was easier on her hands.  (She uses her hands a lot and they get sore.)  Unfortunately, she gave me the other loom, so I suppose I'll have to go get some fun yarn to try it out...darn... Wink

Here's the website...

http://www.knittinglooms.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tucsoncarol
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004 09:17:02 PM »

Not exactly the same, but close.....
http://home.earthlink.net/~dickrobinson/

I got a set of plastic round ones for my birthday, and I am trying to find out more about them and all they can do.  The way I GOOGLEd it was as peg knitting, and I got about six or seven really good sites as well as the normal tons of crappy ones.

I am still trying to locate a book of patterns.  I'm not a knitter, and am just learning to crochet, so some stuff that is prob'ly simple seems hard to figure out.  So far, all I have is a long tube of pink and grey that my dog wants as a turtleneck.  I don't know how to get it off the hoop though, so she's out of luck for a while.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
klutz 91
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004 12:20:35 AM »

This probably won't be of any help, but I thought the coincidence was so great that I had to comment.

The other day my brother brought home a book that is full of patterns for beanies.  Unfortunately, it's from Japan and written mostly in Japanese.  But in the beginning of the pattern section, there were a series of pictures that taught you how to use a circular loom.  Their loom is different because it started out as a flat cutout.  Then they showed how to connect the two ends to form the loop.  

I can't do it now, but I'll try to scan the pictures.........maybe you could make one for yourself.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joanieponytail

must make stuff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004 03:05:13 PM »

Years ago(maybe 25-30) Sunset magazine had an article on making a round knitting loom from a #10 (food service size) can. If I remember correctly, they wrapped the can with corrugated cardboard and put (probably glued) finishing nails in the holes of the corrugated cardboard.  Of course, you would want to wrap the cardboard so the ribs were going the length of the can. And open the cans at both ends. The nails wouldn't have been put in every hole, but you could count the holes to evenly space the nails.

Also, you could use different sized cans to make different sized looms.

Hope this gives you an idea for a inexpensive way to make your own.

I wonder if I still have that article in my files somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus loves me, this I know.
craftymichelle
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004 01:05:26 AM »

thank you for that thats really helpfull i would be really interested if you have the original article.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nemi

Where'd I put that?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004 01:22:20 PM »

You can make a board-kitter too.  Instead of a round hat-or-tube shape...  well, as someone already linked:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dickrobinson/index.htm

A round board can be made similarly - just go with a round shape.  (naturally.)  I'm sure you can find such a shape at the craft store, or possibly at a hardware store - they may even be able to cut wood for you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

klutz 91
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004 08:40:05 PM »

Okay,  this is very very late (sorry):
I never had a chance to scan my book but I found this....

http://www.hamanaka.co.jp/

See, the loom in the picture is the one in my book that starts off flat.  So, it must be made out of some type of plastic.  Maybe you could cut the same shape out of the stencil plastic stuff.

Anyways, at least you could see what the heck I was talking about!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Comparison Between Maya Vs. Houdini 9 5
How to Make Personalized Macro - Shake 4.1
How to Use Final Cut Pro 6 Part 4/4
How to Create 3D Diamond Sphere - Motion 3
How to Use Motion and Shake Together
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...