A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,864
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Faux Stained Glass kitchen windows - now with simple tut.  (Read 6465 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KMKMaven
Metalsmith - Jack of All Trades

I never met a craft I didn't want to try

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2008 01:04:23 PM »

I wanted something prettier and less likely to catch greasy dust than my old curtains in the kitchen.  My house is 107 years old and I think it generates it's own dust by the hour.

This is the window over the stove:

And over the sink:

When we move, I'm going to wind up taking them with me I think.

Well it all started when the lawn mower threw a rock through the window... Grin  I'd already done my bathroom glass (can be seen in another post here) so I had an idea of what to do.
I had DH cut me a replacement glass while I drew out my design on a clean grocery sack.  The center moon used  a roll of duct tape as a template, and the other moons are cream of mushroom soup can sized.  I used a ruler to lay out the grid lines around them and gathered leaves from the yard and traced them around the moon.  A few random stars and I was ready to go to the glass.

I set the clear glass on top of the paper pattern and traced it through using the Liquid Leading (Great Glass Brand paint from Michaels for most areas and an off-brand I can't recommend for the leaves.  It cracked as it dried) and allowed it to dry - not quite long enough because some of the lines shifted when I added color.  Then I poured the colors into the appropriate areas and allowed to dry throughly.  If you stand it up too soon the color will slump down over several hours so let it dry at least 24 hours.

Then my husband installed the new glass with the painted side to the storm window.  It is directly over the sink and subject to a lot of moisture (he'd already replaced the storm window glass so we weren't open to the elements the whole time) and Voila!  "Instant" stained glass window.

One hint, buy waaaay more paint than you think you'll need.  It takes a thick layer to get a nice even color as you can see in some of the color cells.  I will use more on the next one.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 02:28:38 PM by PixieVal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008 01:14:01 PM »

Beautiful.
I do faux stained glass as well. I use old windows that people are going to throw away so then you can take them with you when you leave, because they aren't attached to the house.
I have one hanging in my living room window and people think it is actually the window.

Great job. I especially love the moon phases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenthistle
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008 08:48:31 PM »

that looks nice Smiley  I had to do that on either side of my front door to keep nosey neighbors form peeking in...

I like your moons alot.. Smiley and oak leaves:)  maybe you could sneak some glow in the dark paint on the moons and let the sun charge them up.. heh.. then they will glow when the lights go out... hmm.. wonder if  glow acrylic would stick.. I think it would..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008 09:34:41 PM »

Beautiful Beautiful job.  I love the way the moon picture changes with the light!!!  Great great job. 
I too did faux for the simple reason of a too plain window in the entrance.  Then changed a curtain that I didn't really like for a small window.  Then went on to do the bathroom windows.
Love your windows! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twilight_blazes
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008 10:15:51 PM »

these are beautiful...would you mind sharing your process pretty please?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMKMaven
Metalsmith - Jack of All Trades

I never met a craft I didn't want to try

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008 10:22:23 AM »

Well it all started when the lawn mower threw a rock through the window... Grin  I'd already done my bathroom glass (can be seen in another post here) so I had an idea of what to do.
I had DH cut me a replacement glass while I drew out my design on a clean grocery sack.  The center moon used  a roll of duct tape as a template, and the other moons are cream of mushroom soup can sized.  I used a ruler to lay out the grid lines around them and gathered leaves from the yard and traced them around the moon.  A few random stars and I was ready to go to the glass.

I set the clear glass on top of the paper pattern and traced it through using the Liquid Leading (Great Glass Brand paint from Michaels for most areas and an off-brand I can't recommend for the leaves.  It cracked as it dried) and allowed it to dry - not quite long enough because some of the lines shifted when I added color.  Then I poured the colors into the appropriate areas and allowed to dry throughly.  If you stand it up too soon the color will slump down over several hours so let it dry at least 24 hours.

Then my husband installed the new glass with the painted side to the storm window.  It is directly over the sink and subject to a lot of moisture (he'd already replaced the storm window glass so we weren't open to the elements the whole time) and Voila!  "Instant" stained glass window.

One hint, buy waaaay more paint than you think you'll need.  It takes a thick layer to get a nice even color as you can see in some of the color cells.  I will use more on the next one.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008 10:24:56 AM by KMKMaven » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008 10:48:31 PM »

Thank you for the wonderful explaination.  Again wonderful job.  I sure hope you would take that window if you ever move...but then again, living in a 107 year old home. Wow!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008 05:26:30 AM »

a hint for those who rent and might lose security deposits and suchlike is to do the same thing you mention, only create your art on pieces of acetate. it works really well, can be stuck up with sticky dots and come down when the landlord comes to inspect. you can buy it in A4 sheets or on a roll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladypie
My voices dont like you

Hell Yeah!! I can make anything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008 07:44:17 PM »

fantastic good! I've been avoiding putting curtains up in my kitchen and I have no idea what to do with the window...but thanks to you I now have a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tojoyamoto
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011 02:10:44 AM »

Very cool and extremely crafty! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... has anyone seen my shoes? I kicked them off in a fit of joy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Avocado Facial Mask
How to Create the Perfect Cat Eye
Makeup Expiration Dates You Need Not Ignore
The Modamob Team Picks Their Favorite Night Creams
Aquarella Swimwear Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...