A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Help! Especially from British people please  (Read 2213 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bela-Kiss
« on: February 23, 2008 07:03:16 PM »

ok so, My boyfriend was born and raised in Wales. His 18th bday is the 13th of March and I just figured out what to get him. Today I realized how much he misses his British desserts. Everytime people come over they bring him things and he loves it. He jokingly said that since I'm such a good cook if I could learn how to make him british cookies he would be incredibly happy. So...I need some recipes for any kind of British cookies.  I have one for Jaffa Cakes because I know he loves those. Any help would be greatly appreciated and he said ANY kind og Brit. Cookies.  Grin
Thanks- Rebecca
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MonkeyBrains

I'm a llama! No no.. I'm a chicken!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008 02:56:45 PM »

I'm not from the UK but lived there for 2ish years..  I did a quick search & found this website, if you scroll down there's a baking section that has cakes, biscuits (cookies for you US kids), scones & all good things..

http://greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipebook/index.php

And a few more..  http://www.britannia.com/cooking/recipes/baking.html

If you're feeling really adventurous maybe you could cook him a whole meal based on Brisith cooking..

Here's a link to some traditional Welsh recepies..  http://www.grossi.co.uk/wales/recipe.htm

I know one thing I miss from living in the UK is a fry up (Full English Breakfast) for breakfast, sausages, bacon, eggs, baked beans, toast..  Yum..  Nothing like breakfast in bed on your birthday!!
http://www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisplay.asp?recipeid=1404

Hope this helps..

THIS ROCKS   Logged
KerriedAway

Goldenly Delicious

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008 09:02:43 PM »

My boy is Welsh as well and I've been many times.  I really can't think of any cookies that are british perse, but there are Welsh Cakes, which are pretty yummy.  Basically flat sweet biscuits with raisins.  I'm sure you can find a recipe somewhere.  If you can find a package of Smarties (the M&M british kind, not our american chalky ones) you could make cookies with those. 

Trifle is DELICIOUS too, though not a cookie.  But raspberry or strawberry trifle is pretty traditional over there it seems and so yummy.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ravens and the seagulls push each other inward and outward
inward and outward
in this place that i call home
my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008 04:24:09 AM »

anywhere you can find lavabread?!

google it.
*runs to be sick*

on a serious note, rock cakes are especially british. As is a good old sponge.
preheat oven to 350F
6oz all purpose flour
6oz butter
6oz caster sugar
3 eggs beaten
1tsp baking powder
jam
whipped cream

cream butter and sugar, add a little beaten egg and a little of the flour, plus a pinch of the baking powder. mix well. keep doing this bit by bit. if you have one, use an electric whisk. keep doing this until all the ingredients are mixed.
pour into two 8in round sandwich tins
bake until springy.
leave to cool.

place bottom cake on plate, top with the cheapest jam you can find. it MUST be proper jam though, the kind with fruit in. not that grape jelly cr@p lol!!
top jam with the cream
top cream with th other cake. dust with confectioner's sugar and serve with a nice mug of tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008 02:35:13 PM »

Thank for all of the replies. Grin
MonkeyBrains- he actually makes that at least once a week. I find it odd but he loves it. I had never met anyone who ate beans with breakfast until I started dating him.

Im pretty much up for anything- we've been dating for almost 2 years and he deserves it.But he can be a bit picky- he doesn't like nuts, and Im not so sure about raisins, but  I can find out.

Ive been looking for a site that will deliver british things I already know he LOVES to my house but it is pretty hard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinsNneedles
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008 11:47:00 AM »

Get yourself Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake Book (http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Berrys-Ultimate-Cake-Second/dp/0563487518/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204140571&sr=8-1)

It's my baking bible.  All my friends here who bake have it  Grin

I think cookies are quite an American thing.  Over here, we do biscuits.  Tea and biscuits!!

Mary Berry's book has got a whole chapter dedicated to different biscuits and shortbread.  There's a chapter on scones and teabreads too, as well as cakes like Wimbledon Cake, Easter Simnel Cake, loads of traybakes, and so much more that I can't list here.  Moving further away from cookies... hot cross buns are traditional here at Easter - do you have that in the US too?

If you want to create a whole host of British nosh, I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008 02:35:41 PM »

Moving further away from cookies... hot cross buns are traditional here at Easter - do you have that in the US too?

Teehee, I remember there is that nursery rhyme about hot cross buns, I always thought it was something that they made in the olden days. Like just a funny old name for rolls, maybe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008 04:28:08 PM »

Thank you both. The reason I said cookies is because that's what he calls them- mainly so I don't get confused sometimes...
We do have Easter here, but neither of us celebrate it (being atheists) so I don't know how he would feel about that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MonkeyBrains

I'm a llama! No no.. I'm a chicken!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008 04:32:35 PM »

Hot Cross Buns are delicious even if you are an atheist..

We get them here in Aus too, although they're meant to be for Easter I think they were in shops about 2 weeks after Christmas & you can normally find them pretty much all year round..  I actually had one for breakfast this morning..  I love them..

And a recipe if you're at all interested..  http://www.abc.net.au/goldcoast/stories/s1331160.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008 06:41:20 PM »

Thank for all of the replies. Grin
MonkeyBrains- he actually makes that at least once a week. I find it odd but he loves it. I had never met anyone who ate beans with breakfast until I started dating him.

Im pretty much up for anything- we've been dating for almost 2 years and he deserves it.But he can be a bit picky- he doesn't like nuts, and Im not so sure about raisins, but  I can find out.

Ive been looking for a site that will deliver british things I already know he LOVES to my house but it is pretty hard.

Hi I'm a Brit in Canada and I found this website,  http://www.britishdelights.com/default.asp      I haven't used them yet but they do Angel Delight which is my fave British dessert which I'm sure your boyfriend had when he was a kid (it's a packet mix which rocks).

Anyway they do all sorts of British stuff which I'm sure he would be impressed to receive.

Good Luck and hope he sees something on the website that he likes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Delete Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Auto Mode Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Aperture Priority (A) Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Sunset Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Sports Scene
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...