A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painting a room green?  (Read 666 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsanniebelle
« on: February 22, 2008 08:56:01 AM »

I'm thinking of paint our new bedroom green. As a little girl I always had a purple room and I miss it, but I know my husband will never let me paint our new bedroom purple. We both love green & I'm in love with the idea now, I'm thinking of using purple accents. Any ideas on what color green to use? I know i want a darker green, not pastel. I'm also thinking of maybe chocolate on the walls instead of green. I'm not sure though. The carpet is a light tan color and the room is kind of small. I don't want it to look smaller. We have a king size cherry bookcase headboard. Any suggestions on color scheme.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008 09:04:12 AM »

Go to a paint store and gather up all the green chips you remotely like, take them home, and hang out with them a little. Take out the ones that don't make you feel as good until you narrow it down a little. Whichever one makes you feel happiest is your color! Green is really versatile, it looks fresh with white, goes with blues, warm colors like yellow or orange, earthy colors, pretty pinks, purples, plums. Think about flowers, all the flowery colors go with green! Sometimes it helps to find somthing you like (a flower, a knick knack, a favorite piece of clothing) and base your colors off of that. Check out some books or magazines, or browse this board for ideas. Ultimately though, just pick a color that makes you feel happy.  Wink

My kitchen is green (2 shades on the same color strip)

after these were taken I added a darker green to the bottom half, I was still working on it when I took these.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008 09:06:15 AM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008 09:11:56 AM »

http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html

try this. it's a color scheme generator for web/print design. there is a really pretty color pallet when you set the main color to hex # 99CC66
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008 09:25:08 AM »

When I was in HS my mom and I painted my bedroom purple with green trim (it was more a lavender and a seafoam green) and then my bathroom (it was attached and all mine, SO great with 2 brothers) was the opposite, green with the purple trim.  Oddly enough I hated purple, my mom had bought the paint on sale and it was punishment to make me paint it.  It didn't look all that bad together so I guess I didn't totally hate her for making me live in it for the next 3 years.  I just found a huge box of pictures from HS so if I can find any pics of it I will post them.

We just moved into our first home (my husband, son and I) and we acutally just painted my son's room bright green.  It's "Honeydew" by Behr.  It's really bright and fun, and goes surprisingly well with LOTS of colors!  I am thinking about using the leftover paint (we got 2 cans and only used one) to paint my kitchen.  I'm very much stuck on a green kick right now, especially blues and greens (like blue, green, and teal altogether) also w/ brown, and of course it looks fab with pink. Wink

I would definitely go to the paint store and get paint chip cards though, looking online at the color generator is a nice theory but it didn't help me at all when it came to actually picking a color, the ones I liked online I hated in person, and there are SO many to choose from, and not all paint brands have online color generators.   Good luck, I am having a hard time picking paint colors for the rest of our house (we've only been here a month and my son's room is the only one painted), it's so hard to choose colors!  Post pics when you get it all finished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008 09:27:00 AM »

OH!  I also wanted to mention, my son's room, SUPER tiny, like 10X8 tiny, it was a dark khaki color when we moved in and it looked even smaller, like a closet, but the bright green really helped to open it up, it seems a lot bigger than it really is now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008 10:21:55 AM »

the generator is really just to give you an idea of what can work together. some people are  hesitant about trying certain combinations and it's nice to have something to reassure you about a combination if you are nervous.

you could check out the Color Scheme Bible by Anna Starmer for more inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
AGFH
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008 12:21:59 PM »

My dining room is asparagus green and the blinds are a mauvy purple.
Looks great.

It's very calming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008 12:23:44 PM »

Ooh, I like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
mrsanniebelle
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008 11:21:50 AM »

I'm now leaning toward a green similar to your asparagus green AGF, and a grassier color. I seem to find more green accents that match better than my original planned brighter more flouresent green. But still thinking about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katie Holmes Shows Collection at NYFW
Top 3 NFL Looks For Women
Style Sound Off: The Brits Go Head-To-Head
How to Do Metallic Fashion
Shakira: Steal Her Style
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...