A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
760 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I turn this into a craft room? (A little pic heavy)  (Read 1325 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2008 03:12:00 PM »

Hello! I have an extra room in the basement that I may be able to use as a craft room. I'm not really sure what to do with it though. I don't know where to start! So, I'm asking you craftsters for some help and opinions. It's an old house that we're renting so I'm not sure if I can't paint or tear things down. Here's the lot of pictures:

^View from the door

^Left side of the room with the cabinets. (Kind of old, beat up, and cobwebby, but whatever.)

^Area right next to the door, to the left of the cabinets. It's under the stairs.

^Wall to the right of the cabinets.

^Right side of the room with the heater/furnace thing.

^And remember the door in the first picture? It was an old shaft/area type thing where they stored coal and such. Here's the left side of it...

^And the right side of it. Full of boxes. It's a bit blurry, sorry.

FINAL PICTURE:

^This is a quick floor plan of the room that I made in Photoshop and Paint. Where the lines are on the walls, that's a door.
AREA 1: The area under the stairs.
AREA 2: The cabinets.
AREA 3: "Unusable" furnace/heater area. Unusable: That means that I can't really do much over there. x)
AREA 4: The old coal shaft. =3

So that's it. That's my buttload of pictures. Think you can help me? If you like you can simply save the Paint/Photoshop picture I made and edit it, using basic shapes to represent things. I dunno, but I'd love some help and ideas as to what to do with this space. Thanks for taking the time to help and look trhough the pics. ^^

EDIT: Excuse the mess! ^^ It's being used as storage right now.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008 03:13:56 PM by testingtime » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008 03:36:31 PM »

OMG!!! You're so lucky and I'm so jealous! I have one recommendation: Lots of shelves and tons of clear plastic bins (err....guess that's two).

Also, (and one becomes three!) saw something on TV years ago that may help. It was one of the "how to decorate an apartment that you can't paint/seriously alter" shows. They put fabric on the wall with liquid starch. I haven't had the opportunity to try it, but I would suggest the usual: try it on a small spot first!

Oh, and have a LARGE cutting table! (and four....)

Happy crafting in your HUGE new space!!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008 03:37:12 PM by nofury » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
hotty_blond2000

Crafting, Internet, and Pepsi are my weaknesses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008 03:38:56 PM »

I'm curious waht kind of furmiture do you have at your disposal?

I would say you need a ladder, a sturdy table, and a loveseat or recliner.

I'm working on design ideas will post again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008 03:48:10 PM »

Great ideas! I guess I am pretty lucky to have this space. ^^

I have some shelves, a plastic "dresser" thing that I already have a little of my crafting supplies in. (It's in my room) I also have some chairs and a lot more that I can't think of right now. Just say whatever I will need and I'm sure I can find it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008 04:16:52 PM »

Ok one quick question, what type of crafting projects do you do?  It looks like you have room to set up 'workshop' areas for each craft I would KILL to be able to do the same lol  knowing the crafts you love most would help alot in determining how to make it a killer craft room
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008 04:19:48 PM »

I'll probably be knitting, jewelry making (of all sorts), sewing, decoupaging, and painting/drawing. A multitude of crafts! I love to try new crafts as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hotty_blond2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008 04:31:31 PM »

I snooped through your old posts for ideas of what cafts you do and any hints to what you may/may not want in there.

Here's what I came up with:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008 04:33:35 PM »

Wow! That's a great plan! And kudos to you for your "research"! It really fits me. ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008 04:36:01 PM »

Even if the cabinets are icky, I might be brave and get all webs, dust, and other icky stuff out. I may ask if I can paint them..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hotty_blond2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008 04:36:57 PM »

It was a fun way to spend an hour.

I've been wanting to organize my stuff but space is very limited, and I'm a pack rat.

Good luck. Glad I could be of help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008 04:39:27 PM »

I think I'm going to make a shopping list for the crates, shelves, etc. x) Wee! I'm still accepting opinions, tips, etc. though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hotty_blond2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008 04:39:40 PM »

Yeah, to not use those cabinets is a huge waste of storage space.

I see a lot of potential. Even if you can't paint them you could tape stuff to them or use that blue tacky stuff.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008 04:40:16 PM by hotty_blond2000 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008 04:41:07 PM »

Mhm. Well, I'm off for now to make a list and think of some other things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pretty. Odd

Reality continues to ruin my life.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008 04:42:24 PM »

me, personally, love lots of tables and music to work to!!!!!!! and my computer nearby............ 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People who take time to be alone usually have depth, originality, and quiet reserve.

He's missing his liver. That's how some kids react to the cafeteria food. The lucky ones.
testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008 04:43:31 PM »

Ooh! I can bring my radio into there. And my dad is going to give me his laptop once he removes his files from it. Thanks for your opinion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008 05:13:52 PM »

Ok so here are my thoughts on this:

The first thing i'd do is make a home depot run and grab a piece of the 4'x8' melamine and roll of the edging (about $35 total) and I'd have them make cuts for me (first cut is always free some home depots charge like 50c for each additional cut)  I would measure out a few areas that I want good sized work surfaces in (like one for the jewelry making, one for sewing, and one for cutting sewing projects) If there was space I'd cut the board so that I had 4 2' x 4' pieces to use for worksurfaces. 

After hitting there, I'd go over to the scrap wood bins in home depot, I find monday's are the best time to hit these (as the DIY home improment gurus have left lots of scrap pieces over the weekend)  You can usually find 2x4's and such for a buck or two for a good sized piece (that can be used to make braces etc.. for the work surfaces.

Under the stairs I'd set up a work surface on the tallest end for cutting fabrics etc...

I would hit Craig's list and the cheap lumber bins to get all the supplies I needed Smiley

I did a little playing with your photos lol  Here is how I'd set it up if it were mine Wink

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008 05:14:50 PM by GothChics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008 05:54:03 PM »

XD That's a funny last picture that you editted. Another awesome idea! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008 06:06:40 PM »

XD That's a funny last picture that you editted. Another awesome idea! I love it!

About the point I was finishing up lol my hubby walked in and asked me what I was going to cook for dinner, and my first thought was 'I wish I had somewhere to hide' BINGO! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008 07:12:03 PM »

xD Haha! I just made a general list of some things I would need for the craft room. This is probably a stupid question (I'm not that handy), but how would I attach shelves to the walls? They're plaster or concrete or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008 08:27:15 PM »

I can help with that too Smiley lol they have metal "L" brackets that come in different sizes, (depending on the width of the shelf) I suggest getting them in the 'hardware' section of like home depot or your local walmart vs getting them in the 'shelving' section at home depot (Their more expensive back there)  They aren't the prettiest things, but you can get them in white, black and a light gray color so you can make them blend in Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008 08:33:00 PM »

Okay, thanks! I'm thinking I want a bright craft room with light earthy tones. Since right now it's kind of cold, dark, and it smells like dust. xD I need to prettify it. I just searched the IKEA website. I went to the site once before and they had some nice things. I'll check out the Home Depot's website and then Lowe's after that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008 09:06:39 PM »

You mentioned the word "IKEA" and I drooled a little.  LOL  love that store.  A 'nifty tip' whenever possible shopping there use your debit card, at the bottom of your reciept you'll get a 'certificate' good towards your next purchase that equals 1% of your current purchase.  It may not sound like much, but with small purchases 'here and there' I racked up enough certificates that I saved $15 (which was 2 sets of DVD sized storage boxes to hold 60 of our movies)

You'll find the best deals in home depot by going in and wandering around.  I was in ours earlier and in the clearance 'endcaps' they had 3 sets of cabinets (like you'd put under a sink) for $32.50 each, they were normally $198 each, I also bought a bunch of those rubbermaid wire shelves in there under the same kind of deal for $2.25 each (normally $22 each)  so it's always a good idea to wander in and just look around to see what you could use for different projects Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008 09:13:15 PM »

I sense that you love IKEA? XD The nearest one where I live is almost 5 hours away though. =( So I'm forced to order online with their stupid shipping and handling prices. x3

Mhm. I looked at the actual Home Depot site and was like, WOAH EXPENSIVE. x) At least compared to IKEA it is. I can't wait to get shopping and working on the room! For now We'll probably just shove all the boxes that are in the room in the coal shaft. I don't really NEED that area for now. I've also got to start earning more money... Darn, that mean work! x) Thanks for the tips and the effort that went into the pictures. Everything makes sense when you make a picture of it. xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008 11:42:46 PM »

i wish i had that much free space for a craft room! right now i think my free space consists of about 5 by 12 feet, and the rest gets spread out on the kitchen table and everywhere else you can imagine. btw, gothchics, i'm sooo coming to you when i get a place of my own and letting you design the craft room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008 10:21:01 AM »

I know! We've got some super designers here on Craftster! I love both of the layouts that they came up with. I'm going to combine them both. And I like the idea of a shelf to display my future Poppets.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008 12:30:54 PM »

Say, I don't have a yard stick or any thing that I can measure with. Anyone have any ideas for things I can use to measure with? Like maybe a baseball bat is # of feet? I could use that or soemthing. =3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hotty_blond2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008 04:22:08 PM »

Well a piece of paper is 11" long.
It might take awhile to measure.
But it'd be  funny to say "My wall is 22 pages long." lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008 08:19:00 PM »

xD Uh huh. I'll have to find a tape measure..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Christy Haubegger: Measure Your Life In Impact
Christy Haubegger: Publishing to Production
Christy Haubegger: Misconception of Latinas
Christy Haubegger: A Compass For Readers
Christy Haubegger: 42%
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...