A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First attempt at cane work  (Read 1024 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evilsarah
« on: February 23, 2008 01:24:54 PM »

Ok, so thats a lie, I think its really my second attempt, bu this is my first attempt at something a little complex. I did it just fooling around, but later learned its called a "lace" or "lacework" cane...and I made beads with it.

Heres a close up, some of the beads cracked with I tried to make the hole through them. It's because I had to put them down one night, and I just lightly covered them...a few days later they were all brittle again and making the hole  was really difficult. Most of them are good, I think I just happened to take a picture of the few I ended up throwing out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello vera

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008 01:50:11 PM »

These remind me of pomegranetes (if thats how its spelt, its been a long day!), I really l ike them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iloveoctopus
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008 05:12:06 AM »

i think those are really pretty! they would make some snazzy earrings! also, just a fun tip, but if you ever do canes again, and are having a hard time cutting them, if you pop them in the fridge for about half an hour, the cutting will be easier. =) just in case you didn't already know that lol i wanna go make some now
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilsarah
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008 11:28:48 AM »

I used that trick on the flower canes I just did...very helpful. With this one I was like falling asleep as I was doing them, but I just really wanted to play with the clay I had just gotten...thats why they sat for a few days because I decided I needed to go to sleep after cutting them. Also, I have yet to get a "proper" cutting tool. For now I am using a razor blade with one of the razor edges covered in part of my FIRST cane so i dont cut myself. It works great as long as what I am cutting is thinner than the side of the blade!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dry Apple Slices for Crafts
How to Ebonize Wood
How to Embroider a Towel
How to Embroider Pillows
How to Dry Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...