A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Woven denim purse **now with TUTORIAL**  (Read 4771 times)
Tags for this thread: denim , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 22, 2008 08:44:22 PM »

Inspired by those seatbelt purses that are so popular, but far less expensive.  I made it from some jeans that tore out at the knees.

I lined it with a scrap of sunny yellow calico I had left over from some forgotten project of long ago.

It's the perfect size for my dayplanner. I think it needs a snap in the middle though.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

I'd love your input!  Cheesy

****TUTORIAL****

-- Find a box or a book the size you want the purse to be. I used a Harry Potter book for my first one, but the MIL wanted hers bigger, so I used Yahtzee for this one.
-- Measure the width of the box and calculate how many strips you need and how wide you want the strips to be. Mine is four 2.5 inch strips wide and three 2.5 inch strips high. So I cut strips of denim from 3 pairs of old jeans 6 inches wide by as long as I could get them.
-- Sew the pieces together so they're one long strip... (Mine was 8 yards long by 6 inches wide).

-- Measure around the box and cut as many strips as you need. (I used 3 strips, 26 inches long each).
-- Measure the front, back, and bottom of the box and cut as many as you need of those. (I used 4 strips, 20 inches long each).
-- Measure one more strip for the sides, bottom, and strap.

-- Sew all the strips into tubes with right sides facing, turn right side out, press with seam down the middle of one side.

-- Sew ends of each horizontal tube to form a circle. When you weave the rest, you'll cover up this seam, so it doesn't have to look too finished.

-- Place strap tube along bottom and sides of box, and slip horizontal tubes over both the box and the strap. You can see where some of my strips were pieced together.
-- Weave the vertical tubes through on both sides. Don't forget to weave the straps on the ends too! Once you have everything nice and neat, adjust the tension, and pin in place.

-- Create your lining. Don't forget to add whatever pockets you want!
-- Attach the lining to the top whatever way seems most prudent to you. I still haven't decided if I like my way or not! (My way is to slip the lining over the purse, right sides together; sew, leaving an opening, and turn, then top stitch).

I made several pockets and a key fob.

-- Take pictures of your creation and proudly share with the rest of us!

I made my strips bigger this time, but if I make another one in the future, I think I'll make strips somewhere between this and the first. Maybe 1.5 or 2 inches (finished).

Don't forget to post yours so I can see what you come up with!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008 02:32:39 PM by christephi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
cutek94
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008 08:46:39 PM »

omgaw it's so pretty
when i saw it on the front page i hurried & clicked on it  Grin
very very cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting = my love <3
devotedplanet
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008 08:53:24 PM »

That is really, really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
judethelost
In a sane world, madness is the only freedom. -J.G. Ballard

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008 08:55:01 PM »

This is very cool. I'm very interested in learning how to make these. I think you did a great job. I agree that it may need a snap closure, but is it just going to hold your day planner? If that's all it's going to hold, the snap may be optional. In the end, it looks great and is completely up to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christephi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008 09:38:22 PM »

This is very cool. I'm very interested in learning how to make these. I think you did a great job. I agree that it may need a snap closure, but is it just going to hold your day planner? If that's all it's going to hold, the snap may be optional. In the end, it looks great and is completely up to you.

Thanks for your kind comments.  It wasn't much fun turning all those denim tubes right-side-out.  Next time I'll make the strips wider.  Other than that, it was pretty easy. I constructed it around a hardback book (for stability), but you could use just about anything in the shape/size you want to weave.  A foam block would work great 'cause you could pin right to the foam while you're going.

My MIL just saw it and said she wants one too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleCindy

My Signature Recycled Bag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008 08:53:00 AM »

Your woven denim purse looks wonderful. I'd haven't seen a recycled denim purse like that before. Did you sew the edges at all on the denim? Or is it just folded over and woven? I'd love to have a tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleCindy
http://www.myrecycledbags.com
My Website dedicated to recycling & crafting
Free patterns & ideas for recycled crafts!
susankg53
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008 03:36:20 PM »

love your bag, and I bet it was a nightmare trying to turn the tubes. You did a good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christephi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008 08:02:27 PM »

Since my MIL wants one, and she wants it bigger than this one (maybe somewhere between this and messenger bag size), any ideas or suggestions I should consider before I embark on another?  I'll take lots of pics along the way and post 'em up as a tutorial when I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008 03:13:54 PM »

I've seen those purses before! Only the ones I've seen look like they are made out of ribbon instead. Haha. Yours is awesome. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
JLMS
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008 03:25:26 PM »

This is great. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Santa
How to Draw Sakura Haruno
How to Draw Rose
How to Draw Robin
How to Draw Riko Yuusaki
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...