A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,627
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Magazine Mural - Sunrise over the Mountains  (Read 5549 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BattyRabbit
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008 06:03:47 PM »

Holy friggity frack. My suggestion to preserve it would be to adhere it to a more solid surface and seal it with some sort of...sealant. I don't know. Sandwiching it between two custom-cut pieces of acrylic also seems like a good idea. Mostly I just want to look at it and say 'wow,' though!!! This is really awesome! How long did it take? How many magazine did you go through? Eeee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beanblossom
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008 07:13:32 PM »

Thanks everyone for the comments.  One thing that I keep running into with how to protect it, is that I don't want to separate the posters in separate frames, because I like how they flow together.  Because of that I like the idea of some type of sealant with a stronger backing.  I'll let you guys know what I do.

As far as how long it took:  hours and hours and hours, over a couple of months.  But it did feel like that b/c I would just work on it whenever I was watching TV.  It was a good way to relax.  The mural actually reminds me of Scrubs, b/c I watched the first and second season DVD while working on it!

I used a lot of different magazines and separated the scraps into the different color shades that I needed.  (I actually kept the scraps inside Frisbees, which made it easy to put away when I needed to clean up my living room).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you live each day of your life. -Jonathan Swift
saltypear

This is the story of your red right ankle...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008 12:53:15 PM »

Wow that's really cool...i'll have to try something like that soon  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I wonder if it's possible to have a love affair that lasts forever." - Andy Warhol
jlelliott
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008 12:38:48 PM »

Beautiful - I never would have guessed that it was made of magazines. Maybe you could just get a piece of acrylic cut that will cover the whole thing and affix that directly to the wall over the mural?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008 07:45:16 PM »

This is wonderful! I think it's definitely a keeper ... let us know how you are going to preserve it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
Phoenyx
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008 08:01:22 AM »

Something that beautiful deserves to be preserved.  A few coats of varnish on the front will be a good start, and perhaps attach each piece to a same-sized piece of acid-free mat board.  A little more expensive than cardboard, but less expensive than acrylic, and will make it sturdier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HAREandDRUM

I heart decoupage!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008 01:15:03 PM »

Love it! Don't know how to back it (perhaps on a large piece of sanded, painted plywood?Huh) but for the front, I'd cover it with a layer of decoupage glue (like Mod Podge) and then a bunch of layers of acrylic varnish (polyacrylic by Minwax is what i often use in my projects). That will give you a clear, basically glass-like surface; the more layers the smoother, that is folds in the paper will not show. But I'd first back it with something solid because if you move it and it's flexible the finish would crack.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find my handcrafted frames at www.hareanddrum.etsy.com
krandui

I can be a complicated communicator...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008 07:29:38 PM »

I love this! I thought you painted it. I love collages!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starsandmelodies

Trying to find truth in words, in rhymes, in notes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008 11:00:11 AM »

...wow.
Your wall should be ashamed to be so drab, with such an awesome mural hanging on it. Or honored? Either way, this deserves a "This Rocks!" if anything does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://wists.com/starsandmelodies
DaydreamerArtworks
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008 11:16:12 AM »

Awesome job!  If you want to be sure it'll last as is for a good long while you could mount it to a piece of Masonite (you can get sheets of it at the lumberyard pretty cheap) that you've cut to the shape of your artwork with a jig saw using a good spray adhesive (we use 3M at the frame shop where I work-very strong bond) spray the back of the artwork thoroughly, to make sure you've got good coverage spray across the piece then go in the opposite direction...then line it up on the Masonite (you may need a second set of hands) and press it all over, it would be helpful to use a brayer or rolling pin.  Now you could varnish the front using an artists' spray varnish to seal the paper. 

I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
"Bottom-of-the-Jar" Recipe: Peanut Sauce
How to Make Vietnamese Soft Shell Crab
Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
How to Make Miso Glazed Chicken Wings
How to Make Burmese Melon Salad
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...