A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Queen sized Crop Circle Quilt --- Recycled Tee Shirts  (Read 27491 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TwistedTextiles

Superwoman-in-training

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 22, 2008 12:28:00 PM »

Okay, so I'll quit lurking and go ahead and post this!

I didn't buy any new fabric for this quilt, but I did buy the cotton batting for the inside of it (I used black).  The shades of gray are from various tee-shirts and sweats that were headed for Goodwill.  Unlike 100 percent cotton "official" quilting fabric, articles of clothing are stretchy blended cotton, so I had to use a LOT of iron-on interfacing (which I already had laying around) to keep the different weights of fabric from stretching around and distorting. 

I was inspired by a crop-circle design that I found online, and drew it onto graph paper to plan out how many blocks there would be.  I then scanned the drawing into Photoshop and enlarged each "block" on the graph paper to the size that I wanted it to be in real life.  (I took the original graph drawing and used colored pencils to "color code" which shades of gray I wanted in which areas...it was an easy way to see what it would look like at the end, and keep track of it all!

I printed out each block (I think they were 8.5 inches sguare so that I could use regular printer paper) and used it as a pattern to cut the shapes from fusible web interfacing (I use "Wonder Under", you can get it at most fabric stores).  Then I ironed the fusible web pattern pieces onto the wrong side of orange fabric (two shades of orange from 2 shirts) and cut them out, adding 1/4 inch extra so I could fold under the edges for a better finish.

I ironed (fused) the orange shapes to each background block, and top-stitched around the edges.  When it was time to assemble all the blocks together, I had to lay them on the floor first (they took up our whole office!) to make sure they were in the right order...I sewed them together to make rows, then sewed the rows together one at a time, until the whole top was finished! 

The back was quite another task...I don't have a photo, but I used other random shades of gray fabric to create a labyrinth of gray rectangles and squares, which fills up the whole reverse side of the quilt.  I like it just as much as the front!  Maybe I'll put a photo of the back on my blog soon.   Smiley

I don't like binding quilts, so I made this one just with finished edges. I simply:
*pinned the quilt top to the cotton batting to make sure it stayed smooth,
*put the quilt backing on top (right sides together) and
*serged all around the edge, leaving a space so I could turn it right-side out.

I learned a lot about what not to do when quilting the layers together, and will make it easier on myself next time by not having so many stops and starts...all those threads had to be tied off and concealed and it's a lot more work than I though it would be!

Technically I'm done quilting it, although I'd like to add a lot of free-motion work...when I get my sewing machine fixed! It took me long enough...over a year, working on it here and there.  And I still have finishing details to do on it  Huh

(PS I hope the pictures show up, as this is my first post and I'm just learning the technicalities  Undecided )
--Jamie

photos added 2-25-08:

So I finally got a photo of the back (my apologies for the wrinkles!)
and I found the sketch that I started shading in when I was planning it.
I saw that several people mentioned different ways of finishing the quilting, and I'm considering more of a grid-like filler in-between the large squares on the front.

btw...It IS nice and warm, too!  Wink

Oh gosh--reference photos?  I just googled "crop circle photos"...you'll get a LOT of stuff to dig through, but there's a ton of info and pictures out there.  Most of the popular designs have names, but I have to admit that I've forgotten the name of this one.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008 08:37:33 AM by TwistedTextiles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.twistedtextiles .com  <----My artistic ramblings (and gallery)
www.etsy.com/shop/twistedtextiles  <-----Etsy Shop
laurena
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008 12:34:41 PM »

Thats beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantkarma
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008 12:34:53 PM »

Wow! That is awesome! I love the color combination, and the design is so original. What will those aliens do next out there in those fields? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
mamafox
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008 12:35:09 PM »

this is gorgeous, im not a quilter, but im smart enough to know that was hard work, it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewincbm

maybe i just like towels!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008 12:35:53 PM »

This is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holla
Purelectricity
It's electric.

I'm a paper bag in real life.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008 12:37:09 PM »

Wow this looks so intricate.  Great job with the colors coordinating Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foldingj
Tribal Handy Man

Reality Bites, I have the teeth marks to prove it

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008 12:37:32 PM »

This is uber cool. I hit the "rocks" button because......well.. ...it does. Great job. You can make a spread for my bed any time. Keep up the good work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ah, the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and children are police officers.

My Etsy - http://www.jasonscreations.etsy.com
              NOW OPEN
Yahoo 360 page - http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-4tBJU_MicqowzxNMxuRE64AWogbslNcZkw--?cq=1
FruityLoops
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008 12:40:11 PM »

Wow I love that, well done it's really really booootiful Cheesy  I really love the orange on the grey and the way you vary the colours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dcoyote
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008 12:44:29 PM »

I'm envious. Frankly, I think it looks great as it is. The free motion might be a little much. I like it for it's simple look, although it's far from simple. I guess less is more is what I'm trying to say.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinx
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008 12:49:47 PM »

Great job!  I'd love to see the back, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Lion Mask
How to Make a Turkey Mask
How to Make a Werewolf Mask
How to Make a Crochet Rope
How to Do a Chevron Crochet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...