A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone know any good info sites to help me use my dress form?  (Read 309 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

little*devil
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

protect me from what i want

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 22, 2008 10:38:05 AM »

Today was my lucky day.  I snagged up a fabulous vintage adjustable Acme dress form from Craigslist!  I've never used one before and was wondering if any of you wonderful craftsters out there had any good links or books that might help me get it set it correctly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008 01:37:26 PM »

Congrats on the great find!  I also have a vintage Acme form, and I absolutely love it.  In my opinion, none of the modern forms compare aesthetically; the lines are just so beautiful!  Anyway, I've done quite a bit of research and have found almost no information on these forms, despite the fact that they seem to be everywhere.  To set mine up, I simply started measuring and adjusting.  To adjust, reach inside and loosen the wingnuts, then gently pull the pieces apart (or push them together, depending on which way you need to go).  It takes quite a bit of fiddling to get all of the proportions set correctly - your previously set sizes might change a bit as you set other sizes.  It took me about 45 minutes to get mine set to where I have it now, which is not exactly a replica of me, but is close enough that the things I make on it fit.  I had the most trouble getting the measurement from shoulder to waist to match my own measurement - it's still not quite right.   As far as I know, there is no trick to using it, just keep fiddling. 

I just realized that you might have a different model than I do, and that yours might work differently.  Does yours look like this?

Ack, I don't know why it won't rotate.  Grr, Photobucket!

I also just realized that this post wasn't all that helpful, maybe someone who has more experience with these forms will come along and give us both a tip!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008 01:39:57 PM by Alli_Lucy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
anastrophe
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008 09:37:53 AM »

I've got one too and I don't know how to make it fit! I've spent hours fiddling with the wingnuts, moving panels around...and it still isn't the right shape. Whenever I get one part right (the waist) it throws off something else (hips). I really don't know what to. I hope you figure it out...and then let me know because it's making me sad:(
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fellybabe
fashion is like my skin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008 10:40:37 PM »

needs it too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

can't do without my hubby and fashion
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Essie Shows You How to Pick Your Perfect Shade of Red!
Our Picks For Favorite Toners
I Got Fat-Shamed On My Morning Commute
How to Apply Bronzer
How to Get Rid of Dark Circles and Baggy Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...